To use or not to use? The Cheapo question.

Eagle Driver

Thanks Mitko! Interesting review - I love the part: if you need a new O-ring - just buy another airbrush for 15 bucks!!!

Cheers

Alan

That's the simple truth. I had one of these with some issues couple of years ago. I bought the needle, then the nozzle then something else and I payed like $8 for those. While for S15 I would've gotten a brand new one.

From what I see, what you get for 15 bucks is intermittent paint spraying.  No thanks!

Not necessarily. That can be easily fixed with simple needle polish techniques. It also a game of luck too. Sometimes they do spray very nicely from the box. But overall I am not a fan either.

That's the simple truth. I had one of these with some issues couple of years ago. I bought the needle, then the nozzle then something else and I payed like $8 for those. While for S15 I would've gotten a brand new one.

Not necessarily. That can be easily fixed with simple needle polish techniques. It also a game of luck too. Sometimes they do spray very nicely from the box. But overall I am not a fan either.

I hear you, and agree about overall not being a fan.  The last thing I want to be hit or miss is my airbrush.  To spend all that time getting the bird together, then to have the final paint crap out - no thanks.  I've had my Iwata HP-CS longer than I can remember, and sent it back to Iwata for a refurb.  So if I look at the overall cost over 10+ years, and the reliability and results I've enjoyed, the quality was worth the cost.  Hoping I get the same use out of my H&S Infinity!

Chris

I hear you, and agree about overall not being a fan.  The last thing I want to be hit or miss is my airbrush.  To spend all that time getting the bird together, then to have the final paint crap out - no thanks.  I've had my Iwata HP-CS longer than I can remember, and sent it back to Iwata for a refurb.  So if I look at the overall cost over 10+ years, and the reliability and results I've enjoyed, the quality was worth the cost.  Hoping I get the same use out of my H&S Infinity!

Chris

I think I expressed same overall opinion in the conclusion. Paying enough for something always justify the investment in the long run.

After spending over half a century as a technician, I find that spending more for tools ends up cheaper than buying junk that doesn't work very well, I spent top dollar on my single and double action air brushes. One Badger and one Pasch have lasted me for decades, although I have done repairs on them. I even bought a Sears large compressor that has a three gallon tank that I can use for other things around my property, including car and tractor tires.

Given that an airbrush is perhaps the most-important tool a modeler uses, I'll stick to quality, thanks. But I remember a friend who mocked me once for buying $120 sunglasses: "you could buy 12 pair of $10 sunglasses and just toss each one as it got scratched" (the $120 ones still got scratched, too).

But I remember a friend who mocked me once for buying $120 sunglasses: "you could buy 12 pair of $10 sunglasses and just toss each one as it got scratched" (the $120 ones still got scratched, too).

There in lies the deal:

2 types of people in the world "cheap sunglass people" and "expensive sunglass people".

To me it's not at all about the price really, it's about the value. My last set of Spy sunglasses cost me about $135 when I got them on a trip to Vegas in 2003. The finally broke back in 2015.

Same with my current Oakleys; they were about $130 or so, but just like my Spys, my glasses are either on my face, or in their cleaning bag in my Jeep, no where else. Oakleys new lenses are really scratch resistant.

It's all about what is worth while to the individual, just using sunglasses as an example

With enough things going wrong from operator error, I really can't mentally afford a cheap airbrush.  As for sunglasses, I really love Raybans.  I've done the cheap sunglasses thing...  But there's just something so much better about having a nice pair of Raybans.

Gaz