1/48th Boeing B-52H Stratofortress

tomprobert

On 5/19/2020 at 11:38 PM, tomprobert said:

I fancied doing a bit of work on the BUFF last night... 

49912082773_43856b1705_z.jpgIMG_0179[1] by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The wife took this unbeknown to me as apparently she wanted to show her girly pals how big my... model is :D

The most amazing thing to me about all this Tom, is where you are working on this beast!.....the quality of work and size of the subjects I have seen you do over the years, I thought you would be in the equivalent of a laboratory.I could not believe it when I saw this pic of you working on the lounge, with a small table with a cutting mat in front of you.....amazing stuff!

Great work!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:05 AM, JT68 said:

The most amazing thing to me about all this Tom, is where you are working on this beast!.....the quality of work and size of the subjects I have seen you do over the years, I thought you would be in the equivalent of a laboratory.I could not believe it when I saw this pic of you working on the lounge, with a small table with a cutting mat in front of you.....amazing stuff!

Great work!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks, Jeff. I used to have a work space in our spare room, but since children arrived I’ve lost this area and now work anywhere I can. This is either the living room (as pictured) or on the kitchen table. That decision will largely depend on what rubbish the wife is watching on TV on any given evening...

On 7/5/2020 at 3:06 AM, Michael931080 said:

Incredible stamina in building the BUFF, Tom!

Really enjoy the updates you post.

Thanks - this is a pick-it-up-and-do-a-bit-when-you-fancy-it build. Probably another year or two left in it yet :)

• 2 weeks later...

B-52s are festooned with various lumps and bumps covering a wide array of sensors and jammers etc., but these are not covered by Sanger so it's a case of making your own. So when it's a rainy afternoon, it's time to get out the BUFF and Milliput...

50154952991_5f0f7aa9d6_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

First off, the rear fuselage has this (what I presume is) chaff dispenser that later model Hs don't have:

50154395363_a903b1f92f_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

This was swiftly removed with a razor saw to make way for a new fairing to be made:

50154952031_df70a2a066_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Speaking of making fairings, I've adopted a fairly fool-proof method of getting a snug fit to the fuselage. Step 1: place some masking tape on the area the fairing will sit, and then make an approximate shape of the required fairing in Milliput:

50154396868_a392f5947d_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Step 2: When fully cured, remove the tape (which by default removes the fairing,) sand to shape and then reattach to the fuselage for a perfect fit:

50155185997_af1a80f66d_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

There is a fairing in place of the chaff dispensers on the rear fuselage, as well as one on either side of the fuselage near the rear landing gear bays:

50155186142_89c3d0c509_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

As well as two atop the forward fuselage:

50154952996_5cb9364aae_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

As you can see from this image, I've also started adding the various strengthening plates at the upper wing-roots and atop the mid-section:

50154395253_4ffa5060f7_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Until next time, 

Tom

20 hours ago, Michael931080 said:

:o:o:o:o Geez Tom, you’re killing it with the details!

Next thing Boeing is going to call you up to help them with the upgrades and small details on the real deal!

Stellar workmanship!

Apparently funding has been agreed for a re-engine programme so I’ll give Boeing my number :D

• 1 month later...