Hasegawa 109 issue

aslakh

Hello. I've been having fun building the Hasegawa 109 G-10, until I wanted to install the leading edge slats.

I hate that I am supposed to model everything deployed (slats, flaps), so I cut the tabs off to be able to pose them up/in. The leading edge slats, however, simply refuse to fit. What's the simplest way to fix that issue? Supposed to be a quick OOB build, so I don't want to cut and carve if I don't have to.

The problem is the thickness of the plastic on the leading edge slat. You either need to thin the slat, deepen the well under it, or make a new slat out of thinner plastic.

Have you considered just cutting the well out of the wing leading edge and gluing the slat directly to the wing?

Hi there and welcome to LSP.

There is awesome information on nearly every conceivable detail on the kit you're building here with our tweaks list.

HTH.

Cheers Matty

Doesn't it just!

• Kit has steps in the leading edges of the wing into which the slats retract. On real airframe, these steps are no thicker than the wing's aluminum covering.

There are two solutions to fix this. The most accurate but also most complicated option asks for carefully cutting a thin piece of sheet styrene to fit into the slat well, with the sheet stock's thickness chosen to leave a very small step; cementing the filling piece into the slat well, being careful to keep the new step heigh constant; and then filing down the leading edge of the filling piece where it disappears under the slat.

Second option is simpler: since the real aircraft's step is so small, an adequate and much easier fix would be simply to fill the step with putty and then file it to shape. Add one big bolt head (e.g. Grandt line) under the end of each arm of the opened leading edge slat. Reduce the thickness of the upper and lower rear edges of the slats by scraping those edges with a No. 11 knife blade.

True nitpickers may also want to accurize slat sides as they are no flat as the kit part edges

A small part of a huge amount of information

Richard

Not caring about accuracy to a certain point (only has to look about right) most of those points don't matter.

I only build vehicles seriously, aircraft are just to decompress.

But not a single aircraft has just "fit".

I think I'll just put it away, and most likely will never pick it up again. Not in the mood to putty, sand and scratchbuild something when I can build an Asuka M4 that doesn't need any of that.

Anyhows, thanks for the help. :)

I'm basically going for a "look". Built it with the pilot figure and all, to capture the magic I felt when building kits as a child.

Accuracy is straight out the window, I guess.

... next builds will be a dual Trumpeter and Revell G-6 build, and there will be enough head scratching in that one.