F-14B Tomcat 'VF-102 Diamondbacks' - corrected Revell kit

Starfighter

Thank you Alan and Steve! I have added a few more simple details to the cockpit; I also decided to add Eduard's Tomcat interior set which contains many very useful parts (apart from the very badly printed and totally useless preprinted stuff). A thin coat of MR Surfacer Black was applied to show any flaws. There are quite a few which have to be eliminated before painting. A new RIO side panel with LANTIRN control stick is under preparation as well.

img_33315yko7.jpg

img_3334usjzq.jpg

img_3335kcjvl.jpg

img_333649j6e.jpg

Just looking back now at all the work to date and it's really impressive. Inspiring me to poke at my Revell 70's F-4J kit I have in my collection stash. Now that my 3D work has really improved perhaps I can take a stab at correcting its short comings .  Too many ideas, not enough time. 

• 2 years later...

Gentlemen, long time no hear over here! The Tomcat and I are in a love & hate relationship - or maybe more like an on & off relation! It's always close to the workbench and even manages to jump onto it on a regular basis, but it really is fighting me. I am having issues with the intakes or with the intake trunks to be precise; it is pretty much impossible or at least very hard to get the insides smooth and even harder to properly mask and paint the insides. This results in quite a lot of frustration, but as you may know by now, I am not the one to give up on a project I have started... no matter how long it takes! At the same time, I often need some distraction from the big projects I am working on.

The solution would have been to separate the top of the trunks from the fuselage and to join it to the intakes before installing them, but doing this right now would destroy much more than I could save. 

The easiest solution would of course be intake covers, but I absolutely want to use pilots, so covers are not an option. The solution I came up with is lowered intake ramps - this often happens with the engines off and no hydraulic pressure. This will hide most of the intake and hopefully make my life easier. 

The parts were quickly made in CAD are currently being printed, hence no photo yet. Why the lengthy post without pics? I may need a bit of pressure to finally get this one off the bench. Photos will follow later today once the ramps are ready; it also seems I havent posted any photos of the painted cockpit yet which I will do later on today as well. 

So here's the plan - I will switch between Skywarrior and Tomcat until the first one is finished and we'll see where this leads! There's also a Trumpeter A-4 converted to OA-4M almost ready to be painted waiting for some progress...

zlfbyeohak5pch7ucerq.jpg

Hope this great build gets more attention :D

I was going to snag one of these Revell F-14As up to do an early IIAF one. But. wow, those Ebay prices for the Revell kit are right up there with Tamiya and Trumpeter! I would like a Revell one for the cockpit and the fact it is the best base for an early IIAF F-14A. If any of you know where to get one at a reasonable price I would love to know.