F-14B Tomcat 'VF-102 Diamondbacks' - corrected Revell kit

Starfighter

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go. The Tomcat is keeping me busy and I really enjoy painting it although I already know the finished model will not be as good as I'd expect it to be. A heads up for anyone planning to make the same modifications I made - the kit plastic is very hard and brittle and does not like to be squeezed. Cracks are appearing in several places and I am not sure I can hide them properly... but we will see. 

I have modified the Phoenix pallets by adding some very big O-scale rivets from Micro mark which work nicely to simulate the the big bolts on the real thing. The BRU-32 bomb racks from Quickboost were fitted as well. I know, there should have been gaps in front and behind them in which some wires are visible but I have to admit simply wasn't in the mood to fiddle around with wires. They would be hidden by the GBU-12s anyway. I am pretty sire the Quickboost BRU-32s aren't correct anyway, their front and rear angle seem to be too steep. I am not going to worry about that at this point, though.

img_62748ak3v.jpg

The pallets were then painted and weathered. Smoke is great to simulate accumulating dirt on hinges.

img_6276ouj4a.jpg

img_6279fhj4b.jpg

Most of the visible spots made with Smoke will be filled with base colour to simulate old corrosion control tough ups. 

img_6278hxjos.jpg

The pallets are pretty much ready to be fitted to the fuselage. Just a few small details to be painted.

img_63086djwo.jpg

More smoke was added to most parts, simply sprayed through a mottling template. This will be sprayed over with base colour again, leaving behind a very subtle yet visible pattern under the paint. 

img_62806tjtn.jpg

Several washes and filters were applied to the control surfaces. I am mostly using warm grey, black, white and blue oil paints to create a busy surface. Touch ups are applied at almost every weathering stage to simulate older and newer ones. 

img_6310r2jnl.jpg

Liquid mask applied with a sponge works great to create interesting surfaces. Contrast should have been a bit bigger this time as the result is just barely visible. 

img_63115yjd4.jpg

img_631292jia.jpg

img_6313amjok.jpg

img_6314ofk0q.jpg

Edited by Starfighter

The Tomcat now has received its identity:

39f0c491-5be1-4b05-a14okoh.jpg

Applying a coat of Tamiya X-22 diluted with Mr Levelling Thinner has protected the underlying coats of paint so that the carrier film has disappeared completely. I had omitted this step in the past as the MRP paints are glossy enough to avoid silvering, I'll be doing this again from now on. 

And here are two unforgiving photos of the carbon fibre shrouds in front of the nozzles. Carbon decals are usually extremely brittle and annoying to work with (that's why almost all of my F1 models are stalled...) and the ones I have used were no exception. The infamous "ring" between the shrouds and the nozzles will be covered with bare metal foil once the decals are sealed with clear varnish. 

img_63742xkqw.jpg

img_6367f6k4n.jpg

Edited by Starfighter

The "yellow dog bone" actually is a golden wrench, an award VF-102 got for maintenance excellence. I made a template for the carbon fibre decals indeed. That's when experience in other modelling fields comes in handy. :) 

The overall result is pretty good indeed. I have slightly sanded the sealed surface with a #3600 sanding sponge from Micromesh to get a smoother surface finish; I use those sponges on access panels as well in order to break the uniformity of the surface finish.

Which carbon decals did you use?  I've found Scale Motorsport ones are usually the best in terms of flexibility and strength.  Not to mention that you can pretty much melt them to whatever shape you want with Tamiya X-20A, that's how I get them around winglets and crazy shapes.

Matt 

Dusty model + messy bench + finished shrouds. The ring was covered with self-adhesive aluminum foil, the resulting effect is pretty nice I think. Sadly the fins do not fit as well as they should, especially the RH side one will need some attention. I need to better prepare my sub-assemblies before I start painting! The carbon decals need some attention as well, the front edge is not straight... sigh. 

img_638459kpk.jpg