has anyone heard???

Jeff

WTF is Testors?

:D

Just kidding. Currently having a brain meltdown.

Seriously, enamels?

It's 2017.

I know, I know, but old habits are hard to break, and when I tried the 'other stuff' ...I had really lousy luck with it, and it shied me off it..... I guess, being gun shy isn't a good thing...and I should at least step into the 19th century and give them a go again?? I may need a tutorial... I am just not wanting a repeat of prior performances after spending money on expensive paint that I can't make work.......................... there did I whine enough?? :frantic:

ok guys, apparently this is True..... a buddy of mine called another hobby shop in Burnaby B.C. this time and  spoke to the proprietor and he confirmed..... " he got a notice about Testors paints, they will still sell the small bottle of Testors paints but some of the Model Master series will be deleted a section at a time, some colors will be come unavailable in Canada only and others world wide, this will continue for a few months until the entire Model Master, Model master II,  Custom Laquers, Aztec, and Metalizer are GONE".......

So there is another confirmation on this boys..... I for one am not overly impressed........ damn it anyway.....  if any of you guys want to check with your LHS, and get some more gen on this, it might prove worth it....

Guest Peterpools

I shoot mainly MRP (lacquers), Model Air and Tamiya (both acrylics). But what I can't understand is why discontinue all the Model Master paints? Walk into any hobby shop and the one line of paint you will always find is TESTORS. Just makes zero sense. :doh:

Peter

I shoot mainly MRP (lacquers), Model Air and Tamiya (both acrylics). But what I can't understand is why discontinue all the Model Master paints? Walk into any hobby shop and the one line of paint you will always find is TESTORS. Just makes zero sense. :doh:

Peter

No it sure doesn't, to the point where I am not convinced it's really fact because it makes no sense. 

It's a deal breaker for me. I absolutely HATE acrylics, I blotch them just openning the bottle.  I've been modeling with enamels since the mid 70's and don't have the patients to re-learn that much earned experience in a completely different medium that doesn't agree with me.

Ernie suggedted Gunze. I looked at Sprue Bros and it is listed as an enamel/lacquer. I use their leveling thinner so maybe it wouldn't be so hard to switch to them? Having personally seen Ernie's work, Gunze sure looks like it works well.

Maybe? I haven't seen Gunze paint in Canada in years though (or at least don't recall seeing it in any LHS)

Guest Peterpools

I've done some checking around and the list of paints to be discontinued are enamels and lacquers slowly but surely. It also appears acrylics will still be offered for sale but for how long? Could it be the health issue: who knows.
Over the years, I've seen so many wonderful lines of paint vanish for one reason or another, with the old Pactra being one of my favorites.

Just must be the times

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Ron, see if there are any anime shops near you. Gunze make a lot of paints specifically for sci-fi kits so anime shops tend to carry them.

In Toronto, I get mine from Animextreme (sp?).

You could try Tamiya acrylics using their lacquer thinner as that shirts much more consistently compared to using their regular thinner.

Carl

This really makes me sad.............. ALWAYS, someone else in this world making decisions FOR ME!  Damn, I can make my own decisions........always someone deciding what I need and or want........ :fight:

I contacted Testors thru their Facebook page, their reply to me,

" Thank you for reaching out Steve. Due to the lack of support for them in the marketplace, our International Military and Figure Enamels in the Model Master line were discontinued. All of the other Model Master lines are still available."

Steve