has anyone heard???

Jeff

I contacted Testors thru their Facebook page, their reply to me,

" Thank you for reaching out Steve. Due to the lack of support for them in the marketplace, our International Military and Figure Enamels in the Model Master line were discontinued. All of the other Model Master lines are still available."

Well, I'm terribly disappointed. Like Brian, and several others, I've grown to rely on MM paints for many applications, and have never found anything that I like better.

WHAT THE CRAP?!?!?!?

MM enamels make up THE largest portion of my paint stash, and like K2 it IS in fact what is available at my LHS for enamels. I LOVE enamels and would have a lot rather had MM discontinue their acrylic line, since there are other brands that seem to work just as good in that arena.

I spoke to the normal guy at my Hobby Town LHS, and as of this past Monday, he had heard NOTHING about it. That shocks me that MM would discontinue a line of paints that has been around since I started modeling but NOT tell any of their distributors????   That makes no sense to me.

I would think that the larger hobby shops would need time to get a replacement line of enamels?

Edited by Out2gtcha

Seriously, enamels? 

It's 2017. 

Why not, same go's to cellulose based paints, like Mr. Paint and Alclad, nothing can beat those brands. Same go's for enamel based paint's, which dry very slow, but can't be beaten by their very fine spray image.

I slowly are crossing to the Mr. Paint range, stop using the Tamiya and Gunze acrylic paints.

My Model Master story is very short, used to buy four metallic colors........got them-used them- and afterwards trowed them into the garbage bin where they belonged.

Greetz

Danny

Hey guys....Here's the word sent to distributors

MM 2 paints...the whole line discontinued,yes the whole rack.damn!!...they are shipping the last of stock,,many shades are no longer available for re-stock.

the small square bottles..discontinued.car guys lament.

All of their acrylics...discontinued.

And worst of all..after their Aztec airbrush replacement parts are gone there will be no re-stocking..the Aztec airbrush department may well be shut down as well.

This is the heads up sent to distributors here in Canada.

So don't hesitate and grab what you can.  I would love to be able to buy the Mr. Paint line in Canada..tried and failed.

Edited by williamj

My Model Master story is very short, used to buy four metallic colors........got them-used them- and afterwards trowed them into the garbage bin where they belonged.

Greetz

Danny

I actually like the metalizers quite a lot. Perhaps not as user friendly or durable as Alclad, but very useful nonetheless, and can achieve very nice results. .

Brian

Once you start using MRP paints, you viewpoint on paints will change a bit

Peter

I did spray them a bit Peter, and they do spray WONDERFULLY.   

However, I have the exact same argument as your bro has:

The MRP paints are $7 a bottle and cannot be had anywhere locally, and come pre-thinned.

The MM paints are $3.50 or $4.00 and I can mix whatever ratio I want, and can make some last (literally) years, and if I wanted to, could just hop in the Jeep at any point and drive to pick up most any color.   This is not to say that the MRP paints dont spray wonderfully, but they have their disadvantages too. 

Personally I LOVE enamel paints.   The MM line went down super smooth, dried in minutes with some paints, and just hours with others.  Ive had great luck with enamels my ENTIRE modeling career. 

I have 0 clue what it being 2017 has to do with using enamels. To me enamels blow acrylics out of the water in ALL categories except outright drying time, and in that case that is another disadvantage to the acrylics because they dry TOO fast, and a lot of the time need retarder. 

I do like the MRP line, but they are very expensive and hard to get VS picking anything locally. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

Sorry, jumping in late to this.  So Model Master has discontinued the ENTIRE line?  Acryl and Enamel?  I've not sprayed their enamels for ages, but their acrylics are my go to paints.  I'm still having trouble with the Vallejo clogging up (tho not as bad as before, I guess I'm learning) but the MM acrylics I seem to have down pat.

So I guess I may have to jump to MRP as well.  But the cost - OMG.  I'm still shopping for a compressor!

Chris

Totally agreed Chris. The cost is a bit prohibitive on the MRP stuff, bur as Peter pointed out they do spray like glass.

Well fluid wise, 1 bottle of Mr. Paint @ $7.00 equals 2 1/2 oz. bottles of MM lacquer @ $3.29. Advantages, Mr. Paint is already pre-thinned so you'll save on enamel reducer. Disadvantages, you can not brush Mr. Paint.

MM lacquers have been my paint for my entire modeling career, 30 plus years, love them.

I have purchased a bottle of Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 black and a bottle of Mr. Paint US Dark Ghost Grey just to try out.

Steve

Well fluid wise, 1 bottle of Mr. Paint @ $7.00 equals 2 1/2 oz. bottles of MM lacquer @ $3.29. Advantages, Mr. Paint is already pre-thinned so you'll save on enamel reducer. Disadvantages, you can not brush Mr. Paint.

MM lacquers have been my paint for my entire modeling career, 30 plus years, love them.

I have purchased a bottle of Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 black and a bottle of Mr. Paint US Dark Ghost Grey just to try out.

Steve

All true, however I can get a 1 US gal of enamel reducer for under $5.00, and when I use the MM paints the cheap ass in me usually puts the ultra thinned paint back in the bottle since they do dry out over time, and it generally extends the life of the bottle by several months, if not years, depending on how much I use that color. 

Plus, for as much as I DO love the MRP paints (and most definitely will be getting more) it seems like although you get more paint overall, that % of paint is much more thinner than pigment VS the MM bottles.

All of this in reality is a moot point, since the MM enamel line I love is going bye-bye.  :(  I think Im going to go up to the LHS and load up on MM enamels as much as I can. 

Guest Clunkmeister

Guys, as Tony says, I've been banging the drum here for Gunze for at least four years, ever since LSP Paul clued me in.

Gunze was almost unavailable here up till about 3 years ago, so all was ordered online. Then, Hobbytown started bringing them in, first, bit by bit, then suddenly, BAM, there they are, complete with rack, etc.

When I tried Gunze's Mr. Color line, it was a revelation. They apply super smooth, dry extremely quickly, and are head and shoulders above all others, IMHO.

The gift to modelers is Mr. Leveling Thinner. You can thin just about any mainstream paint with it (never tried it on Vallejo, though), and it just lets stuff flow so much smoother and dry flatter when applied through an airbrush. MM, Tamiya, whatever, it works on all of them.

The big drawbacks with Gunze?

1.They don't brush well. Oh wait, let me change that. they don't brush. PERIOD. If I want to brush paint, nothing beats MM, IMHO. Nothing.

2. They smell. No worse than MM, but much worse than Tamiya.

As far as Gunze availability, here's what I've found out. Supposedly, something in the formulation offended the Gov and it became hard to import. Something changed, but there is only one importer, and he/she's in California. According to Hobbytown, the importer has a warehouse issue and seems unable to fill complete orders despite ample stock.

Reps went out there to help, but supposedly the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

RLM66, for example, has been out of stock for a couple months here, although there is supposedly ample stock in the warehouse.

If you can't get Gunze, then at least do yourself a favor and mail order some Leveling Thinner. Use it with Tamiya and it'll spray like a champ.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Guest Clunkmeister

The MRP paints are $7 a bottle and cannot be had anywhere locally, and come pre-thinned.

The MM paints are $3.50 or $4.00 and I can mix whatever ratio I want, and can make some last (literally) years, and if I wanted to, could just hop in the Jeep at any point and drive to pick up most any color.   This is not to say that the MRP paints dont spray wonderfully, but they have their disadvantages too. 

I do like the MRP line, but they are very expensive and hard to get VS picking anything locally. 

Assuming said Jeep actually STARTS and nothing important falls off coming or going.  :rofl:

Sometime my friend, you just leave yourself wide open. :)