F-35 sea trials

Menelaos

Guest Smitty44

Great stuff.  A rarity.  A US Navy single engine aircraft.

Sincerely,

Mark

Harriers, while not Navy, still operate off of ships with a single engine.

That single engine must have a hell of a lot of thrust....never saw the afterburner lit once....

The close up appearance of these new generation warplanes is always interesting....they look like they were carved from one piece of metal...or concrete...or something.  Point is you don't see the normal panel lines and rivets.

I know that is for stealth...but still interesting.

Well if Boeing have anything to do with it, it will be late and overpriced.

I have seen this happen a LOT. Especially with the US Military. The Bradley fighting vehicle comes to mind..................although I have to say, after ITS mega huge blunders and HUGE over-runs, it has become a staple in the US inventory, and a workhorse.    So there IS hope for the F-35!!

I have seen this happen a LOT. Especially with the US Military. The Bradley fighting vehicle comes to mind..................although I have to say, after ITS mega huge blunders and HUGE over-runs, it has become a staple in the US inventory, and a workhorse.    So there IS hope for the F-35!!

It's not just the Bradley.  Most new weapons systems receive biased critical analysis from the media.  I remember the M1 Abrams, the F-15, the Ticonderoga class cruiser (and Aegis weapons system), and the Apache helicopter all receiving harsh criticism....and all have evolved into effective weapons.  The F-15 in particular was lambasted as being too big, too expensive, and too complex.  And I think everyone will agree it has proven to be an effective warplane.

We will just have to wait and see....it appears there is no going back now....as far as the F-35 is concerned.  It will take many years to get some idea of the true quality of the F-35.....since the military always overstates the effectiveness of new weapons, and unfairly denigrates older ones (like the F-111, A-10, etc).