Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

I have a question, when did they adopt the "shark nose" and the leading edge to an angular design instead of the curved one??

Why did the modeler put both ailerons down? I would think that would be impossible! Flaps down yes but not ailerons... :hmmm:

The ailerons where i think maybe hydraulically powered and aileron droop is normal “if†the system is pressurized by engines and bleeds off pressure after shutdown.

Most F-5E's in ground photos display some droop.

Generally only about 10 degrees though not fully dropped.

Any F-5 maintainer guys around who can chip in on it?

Wow !

Thanks to Mr. Glen Coleman for these ‘'test shot'' photos !

(reference address below)

First comments :

Contrary to the illustration of the Kitty Hawk BoxArt of an F-5E with rounded radome and absence of LERX of the first

operational years, here we find on these '' test shot '' photos a more recent F-5E with ''Sharknose'' radome and with

LERX. This certainly suggests optional parts for both versions.

The central junction of the pieces between the front and rear fuselage made in anticipation of the two-seater F-5F version

seems particularly successful.

In my mind this Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E Tiger II could most probably be the ''2018 1/32 Kit of the Year'' !

:goodjob:

SharkOwl

Complete test shot photos here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/369828906819827/

db8ff3be0fb3caae9907d54d6072711f.jpg

Edited by SharkOwl

Obviously they are starting with one of the latest F-5E configurations out the gate. Overall it looks pretty nice. Detail looks well done and I really like how they made the front windscreen as part of the fuselage. I never liked the traditional “F-5 model separate clear windscreen†that had to be very carefully attached, else it be glue marred; not to mention the “stress fracture†that can occur from the sprue attachment. It was also a PITA to blend!

I'm so not a fan of the open gun panels. Most of the time these are not a clean fit and require a lot of time to get a streamlined. 

One area of the Hasegawa F-5 that was always a disappointment was the overly thick NLG strut forks. On this kit the NLG forks are not as thick as Hasegawa, but still too thick for the scale. I am sure it was a stability compromise, so hopefully Ernie can make these is brass with a more accurate/to scale thickness.

Can't make out the main wheel detail, but from what I can see it looks decent. I'd like to get a closer look at the wheels and gear.
I can see the cockpit IP detail is quite soft and bland; something the Hasegawa kit still prevails in as far a kit stock goes.  Of course we still need to see the rest of the cockpit parts.

The Exhausts look quite unconvincing with a very thick TE and oversized riveting. I'm sure they will most likely be corrected by AM sets soon after this kit hits the rest of the modeling populous.

Mike V

Edited by Viper Enforcer

Congratulations for what appears to be an excellent kit.

Is there a pointy radome option in the box? I'm guessing the LERX might be trimmed back for an early configuration, though I don't much fancy the job.

On standby for now.

Tony

The absence of a pointy nose and early LE wing root are deal breakers for me. Hasegawa do the late configuration.

Sorry, but it seems to rule out those late 1970s Nellis and Alconbury blue Aggressors I had in mind.

Might get a duckface F though.

Tony

The absence of a pointy nose and early LE wing root are deal breakers for me. Hasegawa do the late configuration.

Sorry, but it seems to rule out those late 1970s Nellis and Alconbury blue Aggressors I had in mind.

Might get a duckface F though.

Tony

Lets wait and see Tony.

We will certainly have complete reviews in a few days from many modeller's web sites + ''box openning'' reports on You Tube

that will confirm or not optional pieces for radomes + Lerx & No Lerx options, fin fillet extension, in flight refueling probe, etc...

Being myself a retired senior product manager of a telecommunication company, I must say that Kitty Hawk's marketing approach 

for this ''most wanted'' 2018 standard 1/32 F-5E Tiger II is unfortunately a little bit disappointing, 

This being said, that will not stop me from acquiring several copies of this kit.

:popcorn:

SharkOwl

Edited by SharkOwl

Guest Maxim

Obviously they are starting with one of the latest F-5E configurations out the gate. Overall it looks pretty nice. Detail looks well done and I really like how they made the front windscreen as part of the fuselage. I never liked the traditional “F-5 model separate clear windscreen†that had to be very carefully attached, else it be glue marred; not to mention the “stress fracture†that can occur from the sprue attachment. It was also a PITA to blend!

I'm so not a fan of the open gun panels. Most of the time these are not a clean fit and require a lot of time to get a streamlined. 

One area of the Hasegawa F-5 that was always a disappointment was the overly thick NLG strut forks. On this kit the NLG forks are not as thick as Hasegawa, but still too thick for the scale. I am sure it was a stability compromise, so hopefully Ernie can make these is brass with a more accurate/to scale thickness.

Can't make out the main wheel detail, but from what I can see it looks decent. I'd like to get a closer look at the wheels and gear.

I can see the cockpit IP detail is quite soft and bland; something the Hasegawa kit still prevails in as far a kit stock goes.  Of course we still need to see the rest of the cockpit parts.

The Exhausts look quite unconvincing with a very thick TE and oversized riveting. I'm sure they will most likely be corrected by AM sets soon after this kit hits the rest of the modeling populous.

Mike V

Agree, why can't they leave the open panels closed with a recessed line inside so if you want them open you just scribe and cut them out. I'm not a fan of open panels and this would actually deter me from buying the kit. The only exception I make is Tamiya as their panels fit so well.