1:32 F-90 Superstar

Dandiego

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

It does feel like a giant step forward to get the first metal coat on. I have used, to this point, only Alclad Airframe Aluminum. A first mist coat filled by a slightly heavier second coat until I had good color coverage over the entire model.

Metal coats will expose even the smallest imperfections, and I have found a few. So next couple of days will be trying to eliminate the biggest and most visible flaws. After that I will begin to add some contrast between panels. Followed by some light grey for the nose cone and top of the tail. A flat black anti-glare panel should finish up the major painting.

Dan

Two steps back....

After putting on a coat of Alclad Aluminum things didn't go so well. Once the Alclad was on I saw a lot of sanding scratches that were unacceptable.

So.....I sanded the whole thing, again. The one thing that I did learn is that Alclad is a great primer to find even the smallest scratches. When sanding out the scratches you can tell when you have all of the imperfections sanded out when you have only the black base coat left. If there is even a hint of silver then you still have a scratch.

Anyway then came airbrush issues!

Suffice to say progress has slowed considerably.

Stay tuned, I just might finish this project.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

All right a little more progress.

The entire model was sanded, and re-painted with Alclad gloss black. Then Alclad Airframe Aluminum.

After a short time, minutes actually, I began adding different colors to the panels. I am not sure that I like the "hot section" of the rear fuselage and will probably re-paint with gloss black and re-shoot it.

IiYcsPg.jpg?1

LuUytOQ.jpg?1

rfLtfFo.jpg?1

I have found that the best way to get an acceptable variation is to add a little bit of another color, 10%, to the Airframe Aluminum.

And last a little Light Ghost Grey for the fin cap and radome.

QJznhPj.jpg?1

dsoHkjB.jpg?1

Toodles, Dan

Edited by Dandiego