RAAF 20th anniversary hornet - the perils of polishing 23/12

ClumsyDude

Next up, clear coat. I laid down some Gunze Mr Super Clear Gloss (it's great stuff), nice and wet:

3925D92A-52F9-418C-AC87-7D05A99BA4F5.jpg

Here it is dry ...

5DDB7769-DCFA-4DBA-9899-ECD6237AFE71.jpg

Then on to polishing. I led with micro mesh cloths, despite my previous experience with the scratches, because there were some air bubbles which had left sink marks in the gloss. End result was woeful - lots of scratches, plus I sanded through in one spot.

4D9426C5-DCAE-4379-9C47-77E52C2AA186.jpg

So back to the gloss coat, this time thinned a bit to help with bubbles. This time I limited the micromesh to 6000 grit, which is enough to smooth out the faint orange peel effect. Here it is after micro mesh.

904FB322-624C-4353-9E08-8ADCF8A9FE1D.jpg

Then Tamiya coarse compound.

43CF5C50-3717-4CE1-9085-9ECE9113E578.jpg

Then Tamiya fine compound.

C0CD8BC9-54B1-4E04-9857-5E8A27C96AD9.jpg

And Tamiya finishing compound ... looks all right!

A0338D3E-DBEE-4F59-BF6C-CE38476D3D16.jpg

Not sure what the streaking effect is on the near side, it's hard to see in real life.

One of the goals I'd set myself was, if I could see my face in it, I'd be happy. So here you go:

D2219920-576D-4DAB-AC74-0E39CDBB307C.jpg

Final glamour shot:

562AFCEA-4BA7-4BA8-BE72-1EDBA6F95050.jpg

There are still some faint scratches, which are hard to see in the photo, so the technique isn't perfect ... but we're on our way! Thanks for following, everyone.

Cheers

Jim

Very nice work. Loving the look of that paint work!

I'm currently building the 1/32 Hornet too. I used the kit intake nacelles and got around the terrible fit by doing this...

Intake_nacelle_1_zpsgbhd4cte.jpg

Intake_nacelle_2_zpsmu525ca6.jpg

Quite happy with the results

Intake_nacelle_3_zpstfar7kfh.jpg

Intakes_Fitted_3_zpsisvl5o33.jpg

Intakes_fitted_2_zps1tecf0bl.jpg

Intakes_fitted_1_zpslcz7soap.jpg

Edited by KitmodellerNZ

Thanks all! Really appreciate you stopping by.

Nice work there Mate! Looking forward to the next update.

I see bubbles in that Tamiya bottle. Is that a result of shaking the bottle?

It is the result of shaking ... that bottle is (I think) some kind of wax.  It doesn't make that much of a difference from what I can see, so I'm going to try car wax.  Next update I'm going to (gulp) start on the tails.  Don't need to tell you that is going to be a white knuckle exercise ...

Very impressive work here mate this is shaping up to be a stunning build.

Guy

Thanks mate! Not banking on anything before I get through the next phase with the tails ... but keeping fingers crossed!

I'm a late comer to this build but I must say, that gloss coating looks amazing Jim!

I'm definitely going to have to come back to this for a reference.

Cheers,

Craig

Thanks Craig! Means a lot coming from someone who can do what you do.

Beautiful finish, Jim! 

Thanks Ben! I shudder at getting it even across the whole build, but hopefully I can figure it out.

Very nice work. Loving the look of that paint work!

I'm currently building the 1/32 Hornet too. I used the kit intake nacelles and got around the terrible fit by doing this...

Intake_nacelle_1_zpsgbhd4cte.jpg

Intake_nacelle_2_zpsmu525ca6.jpg

Quite happy with the results

Intake_nacelle_3_zpstfar7kfh.jpg

Intakes_Fitted_3_zpsisvl5o33.jpg

Intakes_fitted_2_zps1tecf0bl.jpg

Intakes_fitted_1_zpslcz7soap.jpg

That's a sweet fit on the intakes ... as you've seen, mine was a lot fiddlier.  I did sand where you mentioned on my Dmold intakes, maybe I just rushed it too much.  It's also hard to see unless you look straight down the intakes from head-on, but one turbine face sits higher than the other ... it pisses me off but I've decided to live with it.

Great stuff mate.

Sean is a very hard taskmaster isn't he!

Eric

Thanks Eric, much appreciated.  Yeah, Sean ruthlessly sent me complete diagrams of the correct RAAF harness after I'd gone and bollocksed it up from some other shots ... but that said I think the scratch building on the seat belts was some of the most fun I've had at modelling, probably ever.

Awesome shine on the stabilizers - polished like a canopy.
@ Kitmodeller: Lovely flawless fit!!

Thanks Milan! I am going to need to re-polish the canopy too as I managed to drop it ... at least I know the drill!

Cheers all

Jim

It is the result of shaking ... that bottle is (I think) some kind of wax.  It doesn't make that much of a difference from what I can see, so I'm going to try car wax.  Next update I'm going to (gulp) start on the tails.  Don't need to tell you that is going to be a white knuckle exercise ...

You got it. I have little doubt. If you need a webex cheerleader I'll be there for you. I for one can't wait to see the other side of the stabs. I know the masterpiece that is about to be unleashed on us.................

Thanks Randy ... going to take the vertical tails very slow, I'm a bit intimidated by them. Let's see how we get on.

Thanks Peter, Rainer and Squizzy. Really appreciate the comments, it's great for keeping the inspiration going. The polishing so far is taking one hour per stabilator - per side! So I'm going to need plenty of it.

Here's the results of today's hour - still got the other side to go.

9338BC0D-8655-4DE7-8D4E-3219C0E95E96.jpg

Jim

Thanks Randy ... going to take the vertical tails very slow, I'm a bit intimidated by them. Let's see how we get on.

Thanks Peter, Rainer and Squizzy. Really appreciate the comments, it's great for keeping the inspiration going. The polishing so far is taking one hour per stabilator - per side! So I'm going to need plenty of it.

Here's the results of today's hour - still got the other side to go.

9338BC0D-8655-4DE7-8D4E-3219C0E95E96.jpg

Jim

Crikey!

Kev