RAAF 20th anniversary hornet - the perils of polishing 23/12

ClumsyDude

Ok y'all ... this is killing me. I'm not sure what is happening, but these pockmarks have appeared on my horizontal tails some time after polishing. I think it's some kind of bubbles that have been trapped in the clear coat - I did use a lot of retarder, so maybe that's my problem - but there are these bloody pinholes and it's really killing me. What say you, LSP?

RJULMvA.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Hmm, it`s plausible to really be trapped air bubbles. However, this looks to me somehow very similar so here is my suggestion on a past experience basis:

These are non-uniformed "liquid" particles formed during the spraying. ;) So far i used just 2 types of lacquers - the Alclad 600 Aqua Gloss lacquer and the gloss+satin finish lacquers of the Mig serries. With Alc-600 i never had issues like that. But with both Mig Lacquers - man oh man, the situation is just aweful every time upon the first spraying. My airbrush is perhaps the cheapest simple airbrush with upper feeding, so more likely the reason of the issue is in my airbrush, but on the other hand - the recommnedations on the Mig lacquers say to shake the bottle very very well before usage. 

The thing is that after the solution is loaded in the airbrush (lacquer+a little bit of thinner), the first few mistsy coats are not uniform in almost 100% of the cases. There are some white particles clearly visible, which look like undissolved blobs of the lacquer. Also in almost 100% of the cases - they visually disappear when the lacquer coat completely dries or the blobs add some nice effect such as after using a salt weathering technique. But they are there. And after sanding/polishing like in your case Jim, i suppose that these tiny blobs are just harder or more rough and therefore cannot be sanded "equally" with the surrounding surface. Excuse me that i didn`t double check what type of lacquer you used, but my satin and gloss Mig lacquers almost every time keep me frustrated during the first seconds of the spraying. And i always shake the bottles very well and clean the airbrush flawlessly. But i`ve seen common "spots" and the reason is in the non-uniformed lacquer particles in the mist, which to date i don`t know how to get rid of. I just try to not forget to spray a few seconds away every time i refill the airbrush cup with these exact 2 lacquers.

Guest Peterpools

Jim

I suffered a similar problem with the finish on my Mossie. After I repaired my blonder on the wings, I primed and painted as usual A day or so later, I had strange staining showing up through the paint that I had never seen before.  I had no explanation as to what they were but the only way I could resolve the problem was to sand then out, down to bare plastic in those areas. What I think was the issue was after I had repaired the wings from the damage the Tamiya Air Brush Cleaner had caused, long story and my fault, some traces were left on the wing and even though I thought I had cleaned it up, apparently I didn't. The second shot, I made sure the wing and damaged area was completely free of any contaminants.

Looking at the photo, Milan is correct, it is a contaminant that was either in your air brush, on the model surfaces or might have even settle onto the surface and then was painted over. The contaminant could be anything that reacted with the Clear Coat. My best advice, just left it keep drying and see if it gets worse or remains as is. The the only two options, remove all the paint or paint over the effected area. I'm always leary of the second option, as who knows what could happen down the road.

When I change paint brands when air brushing, I always strip the AB down for a thorough cleaning as if anything can go wrong, it alwasy seems to find me.

Good luck

Peter

Well Jim, that is only one color :) so it's not so hard to repaint it :)

Just take some 1500/2000 water sandpaper and like Carl said lightly sand the tail / just the blue color/ :)

After that mask white and red and with the blue mist from AB cover the sand area.

It is stupid problem, but it happens sometimes :)

Cheers my friend :)

P.S.: I think the bubbles came from the plastic of model, not from paint that you use :)

Edited by ShelbyGT500

Guest Peterpools

Jim

I'm pulling for you. If it is a containment I needs to be sanded out so it won't find it's way back

Peter

Ok, got a fix going on the horizontal tails. I ended up getting a bit frustrated with it so I moved to the vertical tails.

First order of business was to see whether I got the same gloss cancer on the vertical tails. So I did a corner of the tail - you can see (if you look closely) the difference between the polished front corner and the unpolished gloss on the rest. Same routine as before, I'll repost the process because I'm too lazy to go through the pain of reposting my Photobucket images. Start with 1200 grit wet sanding (I use saliva, not water ... some will call me disgusting, but it seems to have a viscosity that works better):

cEwvLGb.jpg

Then 2000 grit:

qqRhagJ.jpg

Then Tamiya compound, red, blue and white. Each gets three applications before moving to the next.

bMtbFGZ.jpg

sk5pA6B.jpg

8g3mmtJ.jpg

8g3mmtJ.jpg

Looks ok to me! So I polished up the rest of the tail. This took about an hour.

Fmlqv0w.jpg

You'll note that I lost a bit of blue on the fence near the top of the tail; that won't be hard to fix. I also lost a chip of red near the top rear corner. Pleasingly, I have been able to retain most of the surface detail, despite far too many layers of paint.

So then it was a big deep breath, and on to take my chances with the outside of the tail. Same process, and an hour later, here are the results on both sides (this time with Tamiya modelling wax applied as a finish):

uJwrViK.jpg

gwIVF3G.jpg

Not too unhappy with that (although I've lost a lot of surface detail on the outside ... not the end of the world, as I decided against a wash, but still a little disappointing). Now I just have to figure out how to flat-coat the slime light without masking and ruining the gloss.

Thanks all for following on.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by ClumsyDude