Can you make an accurate P-51B out of Revells kit?

oyoy5

To answer your question; no, it is not possible to make an accurate P-51B out of Revell's kit.  You'd end up tossing the entire kit and scratchbuilding or kit bashing two kits to get the 51B.  The Trumpeter kit is a boat anchor (and a poor one at that) as well.  It's poorly executed.  As Thierry said above, wait for the HK offering.

Rats, wish I had seen these comments a few weeks ago!  I think I paid $12 for the kit (not a kings ransom at least).  Oh well - definitely putting it further down the pirority list!

Thanks guys - always good to hear your thoughts.

I got my Trumpeter to at least look like a P-51B with some reworking of the forward fuselage and the canopy. Not hard, but fussy, and not a rivet-counter level fix, just a bit of eye-balling from someone who doesn't know the type, but can look at a photo. The old Revell kit is just ugly, even just as a kit it was crude.

Edited by stevegallacci

Guest Clunkmeister

Or,... You can use the Rutman kit. It's resin, but Jerry Rutman took the basic Revell design and corrected the shape issues, redoing it in resin...

It's a gorgeous kit, dang near exact in shape, but it takes work.

I recently let the Revell kit go because I recognized the amount of work needed was not worth it to me. It's a real dog in every respect. What really irked me was the canopy locating pins for the drop panel.....

Yep, sign of the time for sure....... :hmmm:

Rats, wish I had seen these comments a few weeks ago!  I think I paid $12 for the kit (not a kings ransom at least).  Oh well - definitely putting it further down the pirority list!

Thanks guys - always good to hear your thoughts.

I would have bought it for 12 bucks, too, regardless of its crappiness. I'm not afraid to re-work it, but at this point, I'm waiting for the HK release.