LSP - Large Spitfire Possibilities..

airscale

see what I did there.. :)

anyways... I wanted to know if anyone had tried converting the venerable old Airfix 1/24 Mk.1 Spitfire into a later mark, or whether there is even any point using the kit as a donor to get started?

I got a 3-view comparison and it seems the similarities are pretty limited - was it pretty much a different aircraft?

003_zpsnpp3301c.jpg

..the left side of my brain is on a wander and I want a fully metal skinned one like this..

004_zps7zysvzts.jpg

001_zps3jbsjyts.jpg

..so do you think it would be a conversion or a scratchbuild to get there?

TIA

Peter

Hasn't there been one since like 1976?

But not in 1:24 Jennings?

Peter - sounds like a cracking project - I recon you can use the lower/middle fuselage from firewall back to rudder post - but from there on in you're on your own...

Nothing our Peter can't handle though!!!  :whistle:

Iain

It is entirely 'doable' Peter (I have retained mine for conversion to a PR.XIX Spifire in the future).

All Spitfire fuselages from the engine firewall bulkhead aft to the fin post remained identical in length throughout all Spitfire production - including the RR Griffon variants. What did change was what was attached to either end of these areas.

Obviously a new nose and engine and opposite rotation propeller/spinner and intake filter at the front end (the fire wall was also angled forward at the top), in your case, a cut down (clear view) rear fuselage decking and bubble canopy, which remained the same as the Mk.XVI in terms of modification from the standard high back variant.

At the rear end, a new rudder of broader chord and a fin extention on the leading edge making this broader chord as well. 

The wing was standard Spitfire apart from the twin (deeper) radiators (clipped or standard tips to choice). You'll need a retractable tail wheel.

I look forward to seeing you employ your magic on this project once more - I can tell you that you will learn a lot as there is always something new to discover about Spitfires!

Good luck

Derek

Edited by Derek B

You didn't specify what Mark so if interested in a Mk.IXc, I did such a conversion of the Airfix Mk.1a. If interested, a brief write-up can be found here in LSP under Articles/Model Builds. All you have to do is find it as it is quite a ways down. A longer article was published in the Nov and Dec 1996 issues of Scale Models International.

Spit.jpg 

I want to do my favorite, the Seafire Fr. 46 in 1:24 scale. You need a new nose forward of the firewall, rebuild the upper part of the rear fuselage and make a new tail à la Sipermarine Spiteful. Not all that difficult

I hope so Carl! There is nothing I would like more than a 1/24 Griffon Spitfire! 

The big Airfix Spit lends itself nicely to conversion. I have a few on the go, including a Mk XVIe conversion. Must admit that a Griffon conversion may be beyond my capabilities, but I would love to try. 

Peter, if you go for it, please cast it in resin and flog it to us lesser souls!  :please:

Here's my slow moving XVIe conversion...

SpitfireXVI_zpsdcc59259.jpg

...By the way. I must update the photo as this conversion is now a low back Mk XVIe!

Best regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep

thanks chaps - great to know it's a possibility..

Peter - sounds like a cracking project - I recon you can use the lower/middle fuselage from firewall back to rudder post - but from there on in you're on your own...

Iain

Thanks Iain - I quite like the idea of having something to start with as that way I will trust the outcome a lot more  :wicked: 

It is entirely 'doable' Peter (I have retained mine for conversion to a PR.XIX Spifire in the future).

All Spitfire fuselages from the engine firewall bulkhead aft to the fin post remained identical in length throughout all Spitfire production - including the RR Griffon variants. What did change was what was attached to either end of these areas.

Obviously a new nose and engine and opposite rotation propeller/spinner and intake filter at the front end (the fire wall was also angled forward at the top), in your case, a cut down (clear view) rear fuselage decking and bubble canopy, which remained the same as the Mk.XVI in terms of modification from the standard high back variant.

At the rear end, a new rudder of broader chord and a fin extention on the leading edge making this broader chord as well. 

The wing was standard Spitfire apart from the twin (deeper) radiators (clipped or standard tips to choice). You'll need a retractable tail wheel.

I look forward to seeing you emply your magic on this project once more - I can tell you that you will learn a lot as there is always something new to discover about Spitfires!

Good luck

Derek

thanks Derek - a perfect answer, I will have to start looking into getting some trustworthy plans which I suspect is a whole new minefield..

VFS showed a prototype MK XIV high back a few years ago. It looks like Kinetic might have taken over the line so maybe they have the research material and will release it in the future?

Carl

Thanks Carl - you can bet as soon as I start putting the finishing touches to a year or two's effort a kit will hit the shelves... :coolio:

I hope so Carl! There is nothing I would like more than a 1/24 Griffon Spitfire! 

The big Airfix Spit lends itself nicely to conversion. I have a few on the go, including a Mk XVIe conversion. Must admit that a Griffon conversion may be beyond my capabilities, but I would love to try. 

Peter, if you go for it, please cast it in resin and flog it to us lesser souls!  :please:

Here's my slow moving XVIe conversion...

SpitfireXVI_zpsdcc59259.jpg

...By the way. I must update the photo as this conversion is now a low back Mk XVIe!

Best regards;
Steve

Steve - that looks REALLY good, would love to see it now it is low backed..

..interesting thought on casting copies - I guess it would be quite a big conversion by the time you include the Griffon, the prop, the Rads, maybe a low back, the rudder -  I might fire up my Rhino 3D again and prototype it there when the time comes at least then it could be a shapeways printout or something

Also found an interesting thread with Radu on his Griffon nose conversion in 1/32

I am definately inspired and want that Canadian Mk.XIVe - I just need to get an F7F finished :doh:

Thanks chaps

Peter

Slightly late to this Peter, but Peter Cooke made a marvelous 1/24 Spitfire XIV which he documented and provided drawings for in Scale Models magazine in the mid-to-late 1970s/

I saw the beast in the flesh at Wembley in the days that Scale Models and Scale Model Engineer had annual shows in London, and while I know a great deal more about Spitfires 40 years on, Peter's remains one of the most impressive models I've ever seen.

As I said, Scale Models hosted articles and drawings which I used to have, but were unfortunately ruined in the winter of 1982 when the water pipes in the unoccupied house next door burst and flooded the basement where I stored all my reference magazines from the late 1960s.

Point being that someone may have looked after their copies better than I managed.

Edited by Chek