Out2gtcha

Peter, Matt, K1, thanks for dropping in on me and commenting. Its always for me a matter of just somehow getting back in front of the bench..............then I cleaned, then got the Extra 300 squared away to continue, and then even got a new modeling room PC installed!

I actually got the interior painted last night, and have applied some gloss/insignia white to the 3D frame. I will color sand the frame a bit, then add a final gloss layer of white. The interior of the fuse is satin black, and should be dry for me to work on tonight/this weekend. 

Pics after I get off work tonight.

Cheers! 

Edited by Out2gtcha

Nice work, Bri. Liking it so far. As far as the interior tubing is concerned, the Germans paint the fuselage tubes with gloss "Tubing Grey".....The closest match I have found for it is Model Master Light Sea Grey. You are correct on the body top being flat black on the inside. The seat is a satin black as well. The firewall is bare Titanium.......

The shame is, the last time I worked on "Kilo Golf", she wore this paint scheme. Trouble is, when Jeff went to the World Championships he kept getting points deducted for his vertical lines not being vertical, according to the judges. The issue it turns out was because of the angles of the scheme lines creating an optical illusion of sorts, which tricked the mind into thinking he was not straight. His scheme has been changed to correct this.

Now if someone would do a 32nd model of the "Screamin Sasquatch"....I would build that in a hurry.....

Keep them coming.....

THOR    :ninja: 

If you have any questions, gimmie a shout. I have a lot of hours wrenching on this bird.......

Thanks Thor!   I love the Screamin Sasquach. He performed when we were last at Osh-Kosh the year before last....................AMAZING those stall climbs into heaven! just unreal some of the views they captured on-board with the go-pros!

As to the tubing........................it must be SUPER SUPER light grey!   The pics I have of N73KG in the hanger for maintenacne with all the fuse fairings off look JUST like white. PB is down right now or I would let you take a look at the ones I have.

It might have even been some of the ones you gave me :lol:

I just cant tell till PB comes back on line. 

Hopefully will be up soon!

Edited by Out2gtcha

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

With last weeks craziness behind us here in the US, and if you add in my trying to re-fi my house to compensate for an A/C unit and funace that gave out within a couple of months of each other, my bench time has still been less than what I wanted.

Throw in the Indian Summer we've been having around here, (temps in the 60F/15C to 85F/29C range September October and this first half of November!) and its a recipe to keep me away from the bench.

BUT,

I have found my desire back somewhat, albeit with poor timing from all the rest of life's little get-in-the-ways. But somehow, I have in fact made some progress, even if fairly minor.
I filled some minor mold imperfections on the fuse interior, then sanded and smoothed, and sprayed the entire inner fuselage with Mr Surfacer 1500 black, then semi gloss black. Seemed to turn out really well:

20161104_202014.jpg

I got the remainder of the fuselage frame structure as straight and smooth as I possibly could after several coats of Tamiya fine primer, sanding smoothing, and repeating without making the frame look fat, or over-sized as best I could:

20161104_202047.jpg

I dont have any pics of it atm, but on Thors advice, I DID mix up a batch of "Ultra" light sea gray. I sprayed that on, and now the frame is 100% dried, so I can start adding some details to it, as most of it can be added before the frame is glued in the fuse. Pics of the finish painted frame later

Next up, I took some time, and assembled one of the two engines I have for this kit. This first one I had previously cut all the parts off the pour blocks, as this one will be the engine that gets installed in the air-frame.

The detailing here is really second to none. The molding is tremendous, but this thing is quite tiny:

20161104_202104.jpg

20161104_202205.jpg

20161104_202235.jpg

One for a sense of scale, and just how small this thing is:

20161104_202303.jpg

Thats all for now boys, I know this update wasn't much, but after I upload some simple docs to my mortgage re-fi site tonight, Im intending on hopping back on the 300. Now that the frame is painted and dried, I can tonight hopefully start working on the fuselag detailing, which in turn will progress me toward buttoning up the fuselage. 

Cheers! 

Looking great Brian,

The motor sure is small. Looking forward to seeing it with some paint o to highlight the details.

Thanks Chris. I am too! This one will be much more generically detailed, as really the ONLY parts of it you will be able to see are the two forward cylinders (through the cowl openings) and at the bottom, up from where the exhaust exits. 

The 2nd engine I have, will be DECKED OUT, with bling all over the place! :lol:

Edited by Out2gtcha

You do realise that you made me buy two of these kits!

Thanks!  I hope they dont disappoint then.  :lol:   So far so good................just in the midst of some cockpit detailing.  Pics soon.  Im still getting over how SMALL this things is. 

Although its super hard to tell away from anything actually white, I did get the new "extra light sea gray" applied, that I mixed up upon advice from Thor, who services and maintains these planes including N73KG.

20161115_181821.jpg

If you put something snow white by it, its easier to tell, but overall the 3D frame turned out about as well as one could expect without re-making the entire thing. Even WITH the white in front of it, its hard to tell this is grey in pics. MUCH easier to tell IRL with the Mk I eyeball:

20161115_181833.jpg

20161115_181904.jpg

I concentrated on making the prop pitch adjustment knob, and its counterpart on the other side of the cockpit (not sure what that is exactly) out of bits and bobs I got off of a watch maker from E-bay. Will take some pics of that later as I have some after hours stuff to take care of tonight. 

More pics later tomorrow and this weekend, as I fully intend to get some good progress on this one. 

Cheers,

Nice work, Bri- The throttle handle is on the left side of the cockpit, with the prop control just under it. The knob is blue, with usually a silver plunger in the center. The other knob on the opposite side of the cockpit is the Mixture control, which should be red with a silver plunger. About three inches below the mixture, at about the 5 o'clock position, is a day-glo orange selector handle for the fuel system. Super critical part, as the Extras cannot fly aerobatics with fuel in the wing tanks, only in the center acrobatic tank.

Nice job on the light gray. I help up a piece of white copier paper to one of the airframes in the shop, and only then can you see the difference between the tubing gray and white.

We have a brand new SC in the shop we just assembled, along with Mike Goulian's 330SC in for it's post airshow season tear-down. If you need any pics- Give me a shout......

Keep it up-

THOR     :ninja:

Edited by bdthoresen

Nice!  Thanks Thor. I figured the red and blue knobs with cable running from them on each side was something similar. I didnt get things exactly like the real thing, but I did make up some things that are "an approximate rendition" of the prop control and mixture knobs, out of some watch bits and bobs. Again not exactly like the real thing, but will definitely give the impression of busy work in the pit.

Hopefully more progress on the cockpit tonight! 

Cheers