Out2gtcha

Thanks guys!  Waiting for the seat-belt material has thrown my schedule off a bit, since the holidays are coming up so fast, and I am leaving out of town this coming Saturday for a small road trip.

I have now received the smaller 1/16" wide seat-belt material, but have not had time to get back to the bench unfortunately. The normal holiday schedule and what not have really taken away most of my bench time.

Hopefully however, that will all change the week after next, as the upcoming week, I will be out of town until Wednesday, then that following week, Dec 26th through 30th, I will be working from home the whole week (AKA MODELING TIME WITH THE LAPTOP OPEN BESIDE ME!) so I hope to get lots of time in on the Extra.

Another distraction I had, was last night, as it was my IPMS clubs annual Christmas kit exchange thievery. We all bring a nice newer wrapped kit of something, and then draw numbers (1-however many people show up).

Number 1 goes first, and opens a present.   Then number 2 can either open a new present or steal number 1s present, and then number 1 has to go open another present, and so forth and so on. Each time a kit is opened or stolen a sticker is placed on it, till there are 5 stickers on it, at which time the kit is "retired" and cannot be stolen any further.

It makes for a hilarious time!   I personally, opened a LOT of kits people in the club apparently wanted, as I think I must have opened, then had stolen at least 6 or so kits. Fortunately, most all of the ones I opened was stuff I really didn't care about, but others seemed to. 

However, in the end I ended up with a really nice kit..................Although its not a scale I build, its a super nice kit worth about $75 - $85:

Hasegawa 1/48th No. 56 Sqd limited edition FG.1 Phantom:

2381_rd.jpg

I may post this up on the general forums, as I can see several Has kits out there for Brit Phantoms, but this limited No. 56 Sqn kit seems to be in very short supply, as one of the only E-bay listings I can find is this one from E-bay Aus for around $257.00 AUD which seems to equate to about $189.00 USD:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hasegawa-1-48-British-Phantom-FGR-MK2-No-56-Squad-Limited-Edition-Brand-New-/182156280440

I realize that price is way ridiculous, but Id love to find out how much its actually worth............

Edited by Out2gtcha

• 2 weeks later...

Not gone NOR forgotten.............

I actually HAVE been working on this!

With the holidays, waiting for seat-belt material, and other projects, this has been stalled a few times temporarily. I actually have been making some progress. Things are just temporarily set in place, as to avoid even remotely approaching the 25% completed mark, so I can put the Extra in the soon to come "Keep it Civil" group build.

I have the seat-belts completed, as well as some other bits and bobs in place.   Pics soon, I promise.

Ok,

So Im planning on moving this build over to the forthcoming "Keep it Civil" group build, so most of this is just setting together with blue tac in some spots and tape in others, including the seat itself, so as to not approach the 25% completed pre-group build requirement. 

I finished the 2nd motor mount as well, as this is the one that will be mounted on the am engine mount, outside the model, but here I just used the engine Im going to install in the plane to get the angles right for the engine mount.

This is just roughed up atm, and has not had any smoothing done to it yet, but most of the angles seem satisfactorily aligned:

2016-12-28%2010.33.25.jpg

2016-12-28%2010.33.54.jpg

This mount will be removed from this engine, and then cleaned up and re-installed at a later date, after I build the 2nd engine................

I got in the 1/16" ribbon I needed in blue to complete the Extras 7 point racing harness, complete with double lab belts, ala the 1:1. I also finished installing the clear plate behind the pilot that the harness bolts to, as well as getting around to installing the prop control mixture knob and mount as well as the Mixture control knob and its mount.

What you have to understand here is this is all just a simulation or a "representation" of the real 1:1 simply because

A. Not many but the rare person like Thor would ever even know what the real deal SHOULD look like

B. For the scale, and model attractiveness itself as well as ease of installation in that small pit

Basically, Ive "fudged" a few things here. I made a boo boo on the very top of one of the shoulder harnesses, and had to put some racing stickers on top of them (which now that they are on, I actually like them) and  also had to make up a different lap belt set up that isnt quite what is on the real thing, because its what I had to work with, and what I thought looked cool, and/or would look cool to the judges.............or at least cool enough that it could pass for what should really be there.

Any-hoo, here is where im at, really only the flight control stick (currently being wired up with EZ Line), and aileron pitch control rods left to be built, then all this will need to be permanently put together:

2016-12-30%2011.21.22.jpg

2016-12-30%2011.21.52.jpg

2016-12-30%2011.22.44.jpg

Edited by Out2gtcha

Somehow or the other, all of this still manages to fit inside the SUPER small fuselage of the Extra 330 SC.  Its a well fitting little design, and that says alot about Icaerodesign, as even with all the extra "junk" I added, its still all fits quite nicely into the fuse:

2016-12-30%2011.39.55.jpg

Should be neat once paint is on, and pit is open:

2016-12-30%2011.42.17.jpg

2016-12-30%2011.43.57.jpg

2016-12-30%2011.44.31.jpg

Some sense of scale......................this thing is DINKY! 

2016-12-30%2011.44.54.jpg

Ive got today, and the rest of this weekend including Monday to continue work on the Extra, which now that I have most of the complex interior parts figured out, I can push forward, and after the first, I will likely be ready to close things up, and then the work should proceed QUITE quickly.

The only things left on the interior now, are the flight control stick w/aileron base EZ Line wiring, aileron control rods, and a small Garmin GPS unit that will set on the  interior cross pipe of the framework on the right hand side of the IP.

Cheers to all! 

Guest Peterpools

HI Brian

Sweet!

Just love the way the interior details look and how you have everything fitting in place. Completely agree only Thor would know exactly what and where everything should go.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks bud!  Thanks for dropping in on me.  With the New Year break here, its allowed me to get some actual modeling done. Other projects are still looming, but you know how it is, once you get to that stage where things are "falling together" or even where they start to turn positive, and actually start looking like something...........its hard to pause, and easier to find time to model. 

Ive actually got the dinky flight stick completed w/wiring (keep in mind here too, I fudged a bit, and used white wiring to stand out against the gloss black of the handle and flat black of the wiring ties and stick grip):

2016-12-30%2016.52.43.jpg

2016-12-30%2016.53.34.jpg

With a few touch-ups drying, Im about to install it, and finish running the fight stick wire. Then I will install the aileron control rods, and will finish the GPS box and its associated wiring. 

Cheers,

Edited by Out2gtcha

Thanks guys............for stopping in and the kind words, and wonderful meadow frolicking. :lol:   Ive got the GPS and its associated wiring well on its way, and as I said, once the 1st hits, and I get this thing in the group build, I firmly believe the progress pace will substantially pick up.;