Out2gtcha

HÃ¥kan, Peter, thanks much for the comments. This is one of those falls where Im busy with Jeep projects and with it staying so un-seasonably warm out, its once again cutting into my bench time.  :rolleyes:

Back in a min with some progress!! 

Not a whole bunch of progress, but VERY tedious, small and fiddly stuff. I managed to make the fuel line, as well as fitting the seat. The seat does fit really well, but I am not even really started on it yet, as before I permanently mount it, I am waiting for some seatbelts from Hiroboy (model car company) as well as applying some padding as seen on the 1:1. The fuel line is just copper wire painted, then added some tape for the fittings.

I also managed to get the prop control (blue knob), as well as the mixture control (red knob), completed, made out of misc watch parts (which you can see the pile of, in the corner of the first and last pic). They are both a bit over-sized (no problem with this, as the plane itself is SO small they are going to be seen WAY easier this way) and neither of them are really exactly accurate. However, they both play the part fairly convincingly to the those with an untrained eye. Only the experts like Thor will know that they are not really like the 1:1.

Close enough to look good in modeling I think, as the majority of those who will look upon this will not be experts. Either way, I think they turned out cool, and will add to the look of the interior, especially after getting the throttle stick, and control cables added along with the rest of the pit parts:

2016-11-20%2015.10.44.jpg

2016-11-20%2015.10.33.jpg

2016-11-20%2015.10.29.jpg

Im at the moment have a HIGH cuss factor session while trying to re-create the Icaerodesign OOB engine mount, for the 2nd display engine I have. I first attempted brass rod, but it was way too small and delicate for that, so I am now in process of building another engine mount out of styrene rod.

We will see how that goes!

Cheers till later

Nice work Bri! The prop and mixture knobs look great! The fuel line you are referring to is actually the crankcase breather line, which travels from the engine all the way to under the rudder. Very convincing effect with the tape simulating the rubber couplers. I am by no means an expert, but I have worked on this old girl...Jeff certainly works her hard! Super cool dude to be sure.......

As far as the second engine mount, they are a pain to recreate in the actual shape, being dynafocal in nature, they hardly have a straight angle on them. Keep it up, you will get her there.

In the field, our engine stands are usually made to mount the engine vertically to prevent any damage to the crankshafts. Perhaps that might be a route to look into? Aircraft Spruce sells different versions of it. Never have been sure as to why having an engine sit in the same attitude on a stand as how it is mounted on the plane would be detrimental to the crank, but it is the practice we all use just the same. Perhaps it was more of a factor on earlier engines when the metallurgy was not as good..... :hmmm: 

Anyway- Looking forward to more.........

THOR     :ninja: 

Thanks Thor!     My extra Icaerodesign engine will be more for show/attention grabbing than accuracy. I made up a brass stand way earlier in the year before I stopped progress, and the styrene engine mount will be mounted in it, then all will be final sanded and painted bright yellow. Like a lot of things on this model, the stand is a bit over-sized, but again, that may work in my advantage for visual impact:

DSC05217.jpg

DSC05226.jpg

You are DEFINITELY right, that there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of straight angles on that mount. I had to modify it a bit to get it to fit in line with my previously made engine stand, but again nothing here will be 100% accurate, and some of it will not be accurate at all, but will at least be well done, and look good. 

Cheers!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I KNOW this one has been being updated slowly, but I actually have been making progress!  Ive gotten some of the more tedious interior parts built, and I can start on some of the main components that have to be next because of the tight fitment of the interior parts (mainly the seat and seatbelts).

I got a BIG order in from Hiroboy.com, a model car site, with all sorts of goodies like connectors, hoses, braided lines, and most importantly seatbelts. The kind that normally get used in race cars, and not military aircraft.

The bright blue race car style harnesses found in 1/20th and 1/24th model cars are about as close as I could come to the 1:1 belts used in the Extra 330s. I am modifying them somewhat to closer match the real deal, but they will still not be an exact match to what is in N73KG, but they will look good and be well done in the end, and at a show, generally that is more important. 

Pics soon I promise, but the updates are not huge since the tasks of late have been monumental, but yield smaller (literally) results. 

This one is a bit pic heavy, so bare with me...............

I did get the OOB IP done, which to my eye turned out very nice. Im leaving it as is, even though like the rest of this  build, it is not 100% true to the accuracy of the 1:1. There is a piece of clear sheet behind the IP which seemed to give it very good reflective appearance, and the look of glass for the instruments. Not perfect, but still cool looking:

2016-12-04%2015.38.52.jpg

2016-12-04%2015.39.17.jpg

Having gotten in my order from Hiroboy in the UK, I think I will find some very interesting uses for some of this stuff. The mini spring (s) are amazing looking and quite small, and the white metal "braided hose lines" are kinda neat:

2016-12-04%2015.41.01.jpg

2016-12-04%2015.41.21.jpg

2016-12-04%2015.41.17.jpg

Forging on with the build, in that shipment I also received the car racing seat belts I intend to modify to use in the Extra. Like the rest of the build, not fully accurate, but they will LOOK like they are accurate, and will be a nice complement to the build I think. I had to replace the blue belt material that came with is, as it was a tad too wide, but the local Hobby Lobby had what I needed, so the belts will be next up to work on:

2016-12-04%2015.40.01.jpg

2016-12-04%2015.39.47.jpg

I also got the actuating base of the flight stick done to represent the knuckles that push/pull the ailerons, as well as getting the clear window done that goes behind the pilot, and has the rear harness attached to it:

2016-12-04%2016.24.16.jpg

2016-12-04%2019.38.05.jpg

MORE..........................

Here are some samples of how things look on the interior frame so far. First up, you can see the throttle handle on the left and the scratched wire (watch parts again) I used to simulate the connecting cable. Im quite pleased at how it too turned out. I have also set the IP in place temporarily to see what it looks like in situ:

2016-12-04%2016.18.26.jpg

2016-12-04%2016.18.34.jpg

You can also see the scratched map/incidentals bag I made w/brass closer snap (the real deal is a black nylon bag w/a zipper, but to me, on a model this looked cooler):

2016-12-04%2016.18.39.jpg

2016-12-04%2016.18.48.jpg

Next, I added the rudder pedals, w/some Bobs Buckles added and some EZ-Line to simulate control cable/wires. The real deal is much thicker than this, and really is quite different, but I made some consessions to accuracy for the models sake, and to give it some interest:

2016-12-04%2019.38.28.jpg

2016-12-04%2019.38.50.jpg

2016-12-04%2019.38.34.jpg

Thats it for tonight gents. Ill be back on this one tomorrow hopefully, as this week we are supposed to get our first "real" winter storm, and I might end up working from home (AKA modeling with the laptop next to me!

Cheers to all! 

Harv, Jim, thanks very much for the kind words, and taking the time to post.

This one has me a bit discombobulated, and not knowing what to do. In order to move on with the build, I need to work on getting the cockpit finished up, so I can move onto some actual build progress, and  get the fuselage buttoned up.

In order to do get the pit finished, I need to get the seat in. In order to get the seat in, I need to finish the seat belts. In order to make the belts more accurate to what the 1:1 is, I need to find a 1/16th wide version of the satin fabric trim pieces im using of the 1/8th" wide stuff. 

Jeffs Extra uses a VERY unusual double lab belts:

20150313_123554.jpg

Of course, now returning to Hobby Lobby where I got the 1/8" wide stuff, they dont even CARRY the 1/16" stuff, although they DO see to carry it in different colors. *SIGH*

So off to "PartySpin.com" to order some 1/16th" double sided satin ribbon as well as some matching 1/8th" double sided satin ribbon too (just in case the 1/16th" stuff does not match the Royal Blue color of the 1/8" stuff I have already made up, since I might have to junk them and re-make them if they dont match).

Sooooooooooooooooooo, its more "hurry up and wait" for me.   I can probably work more on the extra engine and engine mount, but my "process" has been thrown off by this inability to get the belts going/complete, and its got me off balance a bit.

One of the LSP admins also gave me a bit of potential good news too, of which I will let on, if it actually comes to fruition.   Lets just say I have a space cleared on the main side of my bench in case I do get some good news.    We shall see!

Im hoping to get the ribbon in by Saturday of this week, if not, maybe by early next week, so I can pick back up where I left off.  Ill be a bit busy tonight, but I may see if I can work on the other engine and stand tomorrow after work, in the mean time while I wait for the seat belt material to arrive.

Cheers!