Out2gtcha

Well, my New Years vaca is about over (back to work tomorrow).............

BUT - 

With only the interior basically complete, and the major assemblies of that not glued together yet, im thinking its substantially under the requisite 25% mark...........

Could the LSP mods see fit to move this over to the "Keep it Civil" Group build for me please?     

And Shizam!  it's moved.  Not to stressed about the % complete. GB are for fun and if this is where everyone will have more fun than it should be so...

Cheers

Ron

Thanks Ron!   Agreed wholeheartedly.

Alright kitties, now that this has been officially moved to the GB, I can shift it into high gear!       Before I go and pick up the X from work tonight (shes still helping with bills and animal sitting) I hope to have the interior finished and completely glued together, as well as finishing off the GPS unit, and then closing up the fuselage.

Off to finish the GPS unit so I can close her up! 

Cheers,

Great to see this in the GB Brian. I'm eagerly looking forward to your next update.

Good stuff.

Cheers

Thanks Guy!

With all of the added detailing I had to do on the GPS, including waiting for things to dry, I unfortunately did not make my goal of getting the fuselage closed up last night. 

However that is not that bad of a thing, as I did manage to (for the most part) get the GPS unit finished and attached to the inner framework, minus the custom GPS domed antenna I made. That will have to wait to be added till tonight, when I can get back to this.

But FIRST, I need to send out some LSP raffle gifts!    I was on call last week, and did not get a chance to get to the PO, so that is first priority tonight after work.................

Then its back on the Extra!     I should easily be able to get the fuse buttoned up tonight.   While waiting for things to dry, I also managed to paint the engine intake runners, as well as the exhaust, and also got the (in plane) engine primed, as well as the secondary engine mount for the 2nd engine I plane to later assemble and display along side the Extra. 

Pics as soon as I can! 

Cheers,

Edited by Out2gtcha

Whilst waiting for some of the interior parts to dry, I got the intake runners, exhaust and engine all painted (previously having primed them). The engine is again, a little thing of beauty, and with only some black primer and a spritz of Alclad air-frame aluminum turned it into a neat little component. 

Nothing has been done to this at all as far as weathering goes, although I may put a black wash on it before install (although there will not be much seen of it once in place). Looking at these pics I also forgot I need to add the push rods as well, or at least the only visible ones on the front two cylinders:

2017-01-04%2019.26.37.jpg

2017-01-04%2019.25.15.jpg

2017-01-04%2019.25.38.jpg

The intake runners got a shot of Alclad white aluminum, and the exhaust got a black base coat followed by Alclad "Jet Blue" and "Jet Red", then a final very light coat of dull aluminum, then an overall flat coat. The other thing I got done you can see here is my custom made 2nd motor mount to fit the 2nd engine I have (not built yet) and will fit on my custom made brass engine stand:

2017-01-04%2019.27.36.jpg

2017-01-04%2019.27.52.jpg

Kind of reminds me of one of those face suckers from Aliens:

2017-01-04%2019.25.04.jpg

2017-01-04%2019.24.53.jpg

The colors put on the exhaust dont come through in pics well, but the blue and red hues are much more evident IRL. 

MORE...............

Well, the time has finally come to close up the fuselage!   This meant finalizing the entire cockpit frame, housing ALL of the entirety of the interior of the Extra.

I actually have come to love this method. It really lets you get things sorted before you assemble the fuse, and lets you dry fit until your harts content. 

Im my case, and with my luck and ALL this junk in the interior I put in it, SOMETHING was going to come loose or break during this operation, so I was fully prepared for that eventuality...............................turns out neither one were true................

They BOTH came true!       :BANGHEAD2:

*SIGH* Well, no matter I WAS literally preparing for just such a predicament, so when they BOTH happened it was not quite as harsh a blow as it may have been otherwise. 

Either way, neither issue turned out to be catastrophic, and both were recoverable, but not without a concerted amount of cursing, clenched fists and a LONG series of "REALLY?!??"s.

Before assembly I sorted the sides of the fuselage with the two small details I wanted to add. There are two small exterior vents for fresh air on the Extra, that lead right into the cockpit and either are directable, or have the option to have a hose attached to them, not sure which. Either way, I have good pics of them, and found two suitable bits from my selection of watch parts I bought of E-Bay:

2017-01-04%2019.29.59.jpg

2017-01-04%2019.32.31.jpg

You can see, they line up with the resin vents on the exterior that I hollowed out, and have yet to still clean up, but will do that later after finish sanding the exterior:

2017-01-04%2019.33.49.jpg

2017-01-04%2019.32.45.jpg

So, here is the finished interior, complete with added details like flight stick wiring and ties,  custom full 7 point racing harness, scratch built prop pitch control and mixture control, as well as scratched throttle stick and cable, along with rudder cables, aileron control rods, a custom map pouch and a scratch built GPS unit with dome antenna and EZ Line wiring and connectors from a model racing car site. At the end of this, I dont think there is a thing more I could have stuffed in here and still not broken things off in mass or had it look like a pilot wouldnt even fit in the pit.

Keep in mind I did take a few liberties here that dont exactly match the 1:1, but I did what was best looking on the model, along with what was on hand to make certain scratch parts out of:

2017-01-04%2020.49.49.jpg

2017-01-04%2020.51.56.jpg

2017-01-04%2020.52.46.jpg

2017-01-04%2020.52.59.jpg

2017-01-04%2020.53.07.jpg

I DID actually glue the fuselage together which was why I did all the prep work to finish the interior, but as I stated above I had a couple issues...........

During the fuselage gluing process, I must have jostled the interior around enough that one of the aileron control rods broke loose from the flight stick base, and then while tweaking the rear of the fuselage and vertical fin, I twisted the fuse just a bit too much, and cracked the fuse on the port side behind the cockpit almost from top to bottom.  "*@#$!!!!"

In the end, you couldn't see a whole lot of the aileron control rod connections, but I could somehow still reach them a little, so I put a not-quite-as-good replacement in, in the form of a tube from Bobs Buckles, then managed to paint it..............

As to the gigantic crack in the port fuselage, the crack was pretty clean, but did require some judicious sanding, which put a big dent in that side, so had to slather it w/Mr Surfacer black 1500 as well as the substantially wide seem on the bottom of the fuse.  

I have come to the conclusion that when you are working on resin kits, even one that fits as good as this one does, you are going to have seems to clean up somewhere. Period. 

So, I slathered the fuselage seems with Mr Surfacer black 1500, and let things dry................hence why no pics of the actual glued fuse. With the MS dry, hopefully tonight I can snap some pics of everything in situ. 

Cheers til next time gents! 

Back at it! Now that Im home the MS 1500 black has seemingly cured, and Im heading down to sand the fuse a bit then pics of the completed fuselage. From here out, now that the fuselage has been buttoned up, the pace of assembly I believe will pick up substantially.

Guest Peterpools

HI Brian

Holy Cow, the front office looks tremendous and the just love the Lycoming. My Colt, way back when had a 4 cylinder Lycoming, just a bit short on the HP as compared to the Extra's Big Six.

Great recovery on the pitfalls that seem to be having their way with us over the past few months. I would never doubt you wouldn't be able to repair the damages perfectly.

Looking forward to you kicking into high gear

Keep 'em coming

Peter

HI Brian

Holy Cow, the front office looks tremendous and the just love the Lycoming. My Colt, way back when had a 4 cylinder Lycoming, just a bit short on the HP as compared to the Extra's Big Six.

Great recovery on the pitfalls that seem to be having their way with us over the past few months. I would never doubt you wouldn't be able to repair the damages perfectly.

Looking forward to you kicking into high gear

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks buddy!   I really must agree, the little Lycoming thunderbolt is a REAL gem.............but in the model you are going to be able to see JUST the front two cylinders viewed from the two cowl intakes that are about 5 or 6mm wide, which is why im not putting a whole lot of work into this Thunderbolt.  

The SECOND Lycoming thunderbolt I got from the lovely people at Icaerodesign, I WILL go off on, and load it up with tons of extra details, and lots of chrome and metallic paint! 

Ive also got a cunning plan for the base for this lil guy too................ :wicked:     I have just gotten done sanding and smoothing the fuselage, and couldnt resist taping the little guy together to see what it all looks like.   LOL! There isnt all that much there really, as this thing is D I N K Y.    I took some funny pics..................tired right now and will upload tomorrow.

Thanks for checking in on me and cheers

Ok, as promised here are some pics of the little extra....................I got the fuselage all buttoned up, added some Mr surfacer 1500 black in the spots it needed it (a LOT of places including the crack I self imposed, as well as both top and bottom seems along with the cowl which had a lot of irregularities on it).  

I realize she looks sorta harsh at the moment with all the weird looking spots of primer on, but she is actually fairly smooth, with only final finish sanding left to go.

I couldn't resist putting the wings on, horizontal stabs and rudder to get a better idea of what the little thing will look like in the end:

2017-01-05%2022.02.20.jpg

2017-01-05%2022.02.25.jpg

2017-01-05%2022.02.41.jpg

2017-01-05%2022.02.51.jpg

2017-01-05%2022.02.55.jpg

In that second from the last pic, you can quite clearly see the crack I made on the port side, behind the cockpit running at an angle about in the center between the stab and pit.

In the end, I was (and have always been) thinking about how utterly small of an airplane the Extra really is, but this does give some clues on scale comparatively speaking.

Weirdest  Mistel ever with my Trumpy SU-30:

2017-01-05%2021.56.56.jpg

2017-01-05%2021.57.09.jpg

Here she is with September Fury. The Fury is quite a big aircraft up close, and this comes through when put next to the little Extra 330 SC:

2017-01-05%2021.59.04.jpg

2017-01-05%2021.58.27.jpg

All for now gents, will be back on the little Extra this afternoon!

Cheers,