Tamiya DH Mosquito FB VI- Stickers! Err, decals.

BloorwestSiR

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Aces on the masks and roundels - they look absolutely perfect.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

Nice. I just have to try some masks one of these days.

Thanks K2! To me, masks just seem the way to go.

Looks awesome, Carl! You're definitely the mask master!

Yeah, he's really got it down!

Kev

Thanks Shaka and Kev! I think it's more the practice from having used them so much.

Gorgeous work, Carl.

I'm gonna have to get me some of them masks. No doubt about it.

John

I agree with Harv, got give these beauties a try........

Looking good Carl......

Thanks John and Phil. They're definitely worth giving it a shot.

Carl

Aces on the masks and roundels - they look absolutely perfect.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

Thanks Peter. I know you're doing your build OOB but are you allowed to use masks for the markings?

Nice work Carl, you'll soon have two Mossie's on your display shelf.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy. It's finally coming together. I'll just need to find a bigger shelf :)

Allright....some serious things going on here...and i like it.....read the thread from start..and i like it...

Hmmm...

A few mossies here on the forum...it gives me cravings to take challenge....a twin engine ww2 bird

Thanks Mal. They're starting to get addictive. I'm starting to plan out another Mossie build but not right away.

You have steadier hands and more patience than I usually do! :)

Thanks John! I'm still in awe at the results that you achieve which I guess shows we can all learn from each other.

Carl,

Excellent work! Did you use vinyl or kabuki masks? Also, for the roundel colors, did you use a mix of Tamiya XF7 and XF10 for the red, and a mix of XF8, XF17 and X18 for the blue?

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom. I use vinyl masks as I find them a bit more forgiving than kabuki. They're more tolerant of repeated placement and removal.

I'll double check what mix I used for the colours sheet let you know. I think I have posted in the HK Mossie build thread. Off the top of my head, the red sounds about right but I'll have check the blue.

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Hi Carl

I'm not sure if masks are allowed for the markings. instead of decals. I'll fire off an email and see.

Peter

Carl,

Thanks. I thought that was the mix you used before but wasn't sure. In any case, those roundels look right on!

Cheers, Tom

Hi Tom, in fact it's the same paint from the HK build. I mixed up about half a bottle of each at that time knowing I'd be doing lots of roundels.

I just checked and the red is XF-7 red with a bit of XF-9 hull red, the blue is XF-8 blue, XF-17 sea blue and X-18 semi gloss black and lastly the yellow is XF-3 yellow with a drop of XF-7 red.

Hope that helps.

Carl

Hi Carl

I'm not sure if masks are allowed for the markings. instead of decals. I'll fire off an email and see.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I guess when they say out of the box, that really mean it. Still might be worth finding out if you're thinking of trying them.

Carl

I forgot to post a pic of the fuselage roundel with the yellow done so here it is.

IMG_20161006_170549_1.jpg

I then painted a section on either side of the tail in the original camouflage colours as the serial numbers weren't painted over when the Coastal Command scheme was painted.

IMG_20161007_220141.jpg

IMG_20161007_220159.jpg

I finished off tonight's with a clear coat for decals. I used X-22 Clear for this.

IMG_20161007_222101.jpg

One thing I was surprised was how much it brought out the base paint scheme.

Now to let this dry and then onto decals.

Carl