Tamiya P-51D Lazy Daisy

Bravo52

Here is my Tamiya Mustang finished with Stencil Pal stencils.  I really liked the "other" mustang that was on the box top of the Tamiya kit but no one made decals.  So in an effort to learn something new, I used a set of Lazy Daisy stencils made by our very on Sluggo from Stencil Pal.  The experience was great and I'd recommend those stencils to everyone!   I'll have to caveat this with my photographic skills are not good and there are still one or two things left to do, but for all intents, this one is done.  Here are the basics of the build:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=53833&page=1

P-51D%20Lazy%20Daisy_zpsnqhu50gg.jpg

Stencils were used for the nose art, tail number and squadron markings

Side%20P51D%201_zpsqnbpah1a.jpg

I wanted to be able to show off the engine. 

side%20P51D%20No%20Cowl_zps6je5z24i.jpg

Engine%201_zpsdhqfjxln.jpg

The quality of the kit is amazing.  When you can start using "Tamiya" as a verb....

Qtr%20RR_zpsi9xjpnkv.jpg

The cockpit is a kit in and of it's self!

Cockpit%20RS_zpsw9bobpjo.jpg

Cockpit%20LS_zpsqqvga3mn.jpg

Hope everyone enjoys!  As far as I know, it's the only Lazy Daisy out there!

Side%20P51D%202_zpshrcaccjn.jpg

CANicoll, I found that the biggest culprit for the fit was three things....well, two really but the third made then cowl a little easier to remove.  

First, you have to get the motor straight in the mounts.  If it's twisted just a little, then the exhaust stacks are a little off and that causes problems. I think I had some pictures in the build thread of this issue.

Second is this little dude in the red circle; it's too deep.  I had to remove it and trim it down so it fits closer to the lower chin intake ducting. That seemed to snug up the lower cowl.

cowl%20fit_zpsiob1cwhk.jpg

The final thing is to trim the mounting pins (part SB4, step 62) down a little so you don't have to use a pry-bar to remove the lower cowl.  

Edited by Bravo52