1:32 Skyshark

Dandiego

Thanks David and Hubert!

A little more on the spinners. First a tube is glued into the forward fuselage. Make sure it is centered and square.

003_zpseekucmel.jpg

Next prepare both spinner sections. They have a piece of tubing in the center which telescopes over the tube in the nose. Add a few strengthening plastic bulkheads. The gray plastic cap came from a Trumpter F-8.

006_zpscvgvtzfl.jpg

Make sure they line up and "stack" correctly.

007_zpsb0qtuhlo.jpg

Ok I need something, 3 somethings, per spinner to accept the individual prop blades. So what the heck are these things?? These are irrigation nozzles that I got from work.

012_zpstsfb9glw.jpg

Super glue them in place.

015_zps3gc62pne.jpg

Mix up some auto body putty, Bondo, and put in on the spinner.

016_zpsimsz8cmw.jpg

Cut the ends of the nozzles off. Do a little sanding...

017_zpsynnpvc25.jpg

Final adjustments...

019_zpsstlsrfss.jpg

Finished spinners in place with a few paper props to get the full effect.

020_zps0mqm9v3a.jpg

Total bench time about 2 hours.

Thanks, Dan

Very clever work, Dan! Simply brilliant.

Kev

Thanks Kev. I don't know if is brillant, but I did do a fair amount of pondering before I moved forward.

Awesome to see it with the props on - keep going!

Jim

Dude, yeah does look cool. Makes it look like a Skyshark.

Really fantastic work!!! The spinner solution is ingenious

Out2gtcha, I work with irrigation parts everyday, but it took a while to make the connection in my brain.

Thanks for the comments guys, it keeps me going.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Lee, pretty sure Tuesday is not going to happen. I did some work on the wing today. Lots of modifications. Lots.

Wings need to be thinned, landing gear moved inboard and most important of all mating the wing to fuselage.Right now the wing incidence is not right and I don't know how to fix it. Yet.

When doing a build of this kind any small deviation compounds alignment issues further down the line. I am wrestling with this aspect now. And with lots of mods overall alignment issues become very critical.

But I did this to myself. So I can't complain too much.

Dan

OK I sat down and tried to figure out what is going on with the wing and how it mates to the fuselage. My drawing has a center of thrust line starting on the center of the spinner and continuing all the way back. I was able to transfer this thrust line to the model. I then measured the distance from the thrust line down to the leading and trailing edges. To my surprise everything seemed to be in the right place.

So onward and upward. Spent some time cutting all of the wheel well bulkheads so that they fit in the thinned wing. Pictures to follow.

Dan

David and Starfighter, thanks for the comments.

And now for the wings. Planform is almost the same between Skyraider and Skyshark. The only big changes are to reduce the thickness of the wing and to move the MLG inboard about 1 scale foot.

So I got out some pliers and gently began reducing the curve on the front of the wings. My pliers left some tooth marks, and it is a little uneven but that will be sanded out later. You can see the stress marks on the plastic where I applied the pressure. You can also see the sheet plastic that I added to the outboard edge of the bay. I cut out a corresponding section to move the whole bay inboard. If you look carefully you can see a relief cut I made on the leading edge where it will eventually mate up with the fuselage. 

008_zpsw7iknxyc.jpg

Now all of the internal bulkheads need to be reduced in height to conform to the thinner cross-section. Once this is done everything is glued together and clamped.

009_zpsznt4srr4.jpg

And last for today the opening for the Skyraider gear door is filled in with plastic sheet. You can see the gear well sides in the finished well. I will need to reproduce the top of the well details that were lost when the move was made.

011_zpsujdmrjor.jpg

Thanks , Dan

Edited by Dandiego

wow. This gets better with every posts.

How was the contest in San Diego? 

Oliver

Thanks for the comments, Oliver. The contest was, I am sure, up to its normal high level of excellence. However I only showed up for about 90 minutes. I was there mostly for the swap meet. I did peek into the competition room but is was early and I was only able to glimpse some of the early entries. Would have liked to stay the whole day but had other family matters to attend to.

Nice work! Looks great so far

Thanks for the comment Out2. I have been working on completing the wings the last few days. More trouble/work that I realized. Lots of sanding and putty work. Again!

Dan

So............

On to the major wing stuff. Since I basically destroyed the wings during the modification process now I get to put them back together. All alignment pins are gone.The overall shape of the airfoil has been drastically changed and the MLG bays have been moved.  All of the internal bulkheads needed to be shaved down. In other words nothing fits the way it is supposed to. 

First the outer panels need to be thinned to match the thinned inner wing, glue and clamp.

001_zpsuwsv3fki.jpg

Next I added support rods made from sprue sections to give needed support. These wings are loooooonnnnggg. You can also see some additional tabs that will add needed gluing surface.

003_zps3ozrz2om.jpg

Ready to assemble...

002_zpsgu1msjbc.jpg

Glue and clamp. I used the long bar clamps as a straight support so the the wings set correctly.

005_zpsiwrlctlb.jpg

To be sure there is still tons of work to be done. Lots of putty and lots of sanding lie ahead.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego