1:32 Skyshark

Dandiego

Thanks for the comments guys. Hope you are enjoying this as much as I am.  

Here is a photo of the long skinny vent and the corresponding area on the Shark itself.

DSCN2879_zpsn7iemxdy.jpg081_zpsan2gtqwp.jpg

DSCN2878_zpsk7fewtix.jpg

20150529_103017_zpsjoczjtfw.jpg

The final?? primer coat has been applied. Hopefully the last go round with putty on the fuselage. Next will be cleaning up and addition of all panel lines. When I am happy with that I will start adding rivets to the fuselage.

Still lots of work to do on the wings.

Dan

You know...sometimes you look at something everyday but can't see something right in front of you.

Only after posting did I notice that I had made a rather obvious mistake. The large exhaust vent on the port side should end at the panel line not extend beyond it. Oh well nothing a sharp knife and a "bit of putty" won't fix.

Dan

Hey youngster !! With the right attitude and a good hobby you will go on for a long time.

I am75 and still going good. Really looking forward to this project ,please make sure we see LOTS of pics.

Get at it,,, Cheers Ernie :wow:

Haven't been called youngster in a while. Thanks Ernie

I gave no earthly idea how I missed this build. This is pure modeling genius in action here folks.

What an absolutely incredible build.

Thanks Clunkmeister. You may be late to the party but there is still a lot of fun to be had.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Hey everyone. Small update this week. Too hot in the garage to work.

I started adding rivets to the wing and fuselage. 

009_zpsmd0eendj.jpg

My tools are very simple. A photoetch rivet guide and a small metal punch.

011_zpsuhskgp5a.jpg

Also after months of working on this project and looking at photos constantly only last week did I realize that there is a hinged exhaust port behind and below the main engine intakes. So here it is.

012_zpsqolpal7a.jpg

Thats all for today.

Dan

Hello all.

When I started this build the most difficult task, for me, was going to be the canopies. I stole the windscreen from a TA-4J that I had in the stash. But now what? I don't do vac-forming very well. Not too many aftermarket accessories for a 1:32 scale Skyshark.

Or are there??

I thought that the Skyshark canopy looked a lot like the Skyrays canopy. So I sent an email to Paul Fisher and asked him if it would be possible to purchase a Skyray canopy from him. His answer...Sure! So a couple of days later, at no cost to me, a Skyray windscreen and canopy was sitting on my desk.  Thank you Paul.

Sorry about the focus. No matter how I tried I just couldn't get a sharp focus on these parts.

DSCN2886_zpswqmsvo3c.jpg

And here it is sitting on the Shark.

DSCN2891_zpsqvtwko1l.jpg It sits a little high but I can fix that.

Photobucket is running super slow tonight so I will add more pictures tomorrow.

Dan

Ok back at it today.

Hopefully photobucket will run a little faster today.

Alright I need to reduce the height of the canopy to better match the windscreen. Time to pull out my power sander. If I hold it with my knees I can carefully remove some of the bottom of Pauls canopy. Carefully being the operative word.

DSCN2894_zpsyszdyqup.jpg

Next make a paper template

DSCN2892_zpsebmtlenl.jpg 

Transfer to plastic sheet...

DSCN2893_zpsnjouj8pl.jpg Next epoxy the canopy to the base and add a vertical former... I have also added an internal bulkhead and a little paint.

DSCN2896_zpseawlrrke.jpg

And now the fun part.  Bondo!

DSCN2898_zpsodtpfvln.jpg

A little sanding when it hardens and canopy will be done.

Later, Dan

• 2 weeks later...