HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

12 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Just superb! Those guns and mounts are little masterpieces in themselves. Will you have the windows slid back so all this work can be seen? I sincerely hope so!

Tom

Thanks Tom! It was almost a shame to cover up the Gaspatch bodies as they're incredible, but I think they came out looking pretty good in the end :). I was originally going to have the windows fitted to keep the dust out, but with the guns in I'll have the windows on the floor/stowed inside as the barrels will be pointing out. Plus it will greatly enhance how much you can see inside ;) 

10 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Those guns looks superb, Craig!

Kev

Thanks Kev! :) 

3 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Excellent update with the waist guns going in!

Matt 

Thanks Matt, she's really starting to come alive now :) 

2 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Craig,

SPECTACULAR  work  throughout. 

Your workmanship  is PHENOMENAL. 

:wow:   :bow:      :bow:

WE are in Awe of you and your build.

:bow:

Thank you Maru! I've still got a lot to learn on many aspects of modelling, but there's no better way to learn than to do!

Cheers,

Craig

On 8/22/2021 at 10:04 AM, TKB said:

Craig,

How she's looking doesn't surprise me in the least! That doesn't stop me from being totally impressed by how all your dedicated work is coming together!

Terry

Thanks Terry! I'm starting to impress myself too! I think she's all starting to come together now :) 

A picture summary of the past few day's work in the back end. Except for the waist windows (which will be "stowed" on the floor), I'm pretty much calling the rear end done.

Firstly, the gunner's seat and cushion was added. I printed some custom decal lettering to add a bit of interest...

28/8

You can see also the intercom and microphones have been added to each side, as well as some more decals on the ammo bins.

28/8

An overall shot of the rear right side. You can see the all important "loo roll" has been added so the crew are ready to fight! ;) 

28/8

Details are more or less complete on the left side too with the oxygen bottles all plumbed in and the tail wheel manual retraction mechanism added.

Lastly, the waist windows are starting to take shape. I need to sand/polish out a few blemishes, although I won't spend too long on them as they'll on the floor. Just need to add framing to them once they're looking clear again :) 

28/8

Next post should see me moving back to the front office! :) 

See you then,

Craig

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 28/8 back end complete!
12 hours ago, JayW said:

Craig - I have been on vacation, and you have been busy!!   hats off to you - the fuselage innards are just wonderful.

Thanks Jay! Hope the vacation was restful for you and I look forward your next corsair progress. The interior has been a challenge; a mix of trying to create what should be in there versus what's practical and worth it. Hopefully I've found the right balance!

12 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Bravo!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark! Always a pleasure :) 

12 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Just outstanding! I thought for a moment that your first picture was a reference shot of the real thing. 

I can’t wait to see the interior finished off and the fuselage finally come

together. 

All the best,

Tom

Very high compliment coming from you Tom! :) This build has certainly shown that I have a lot to learn yet, especially on painting, which I have very much neglected over the years. After nearly 8 years I'm very much looking forward to seeing the fuselage joined too! 

7 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Outstanding scratch work! You really are turning this one into a masterpiece of a B-17

Matt 

Thanks very much Matt :) This build has been spurred to the standard you see here by inspiration, encouragement and lessons from everyone on here. I doubt if it could have gotten anywhere near this result without this forum..... thank you!!!

Craig

Craig- you are positively one of the best builders on this site, period. I hold you up there with some of the legends of this forum, like Brian Cauchi, Radu Brinzan, Peter Castle, and others. Dude, you are on a whole another level. Thanks SO much for sharing this build. I too, draw much inspiration from the members here!

Keep up the stellar work…..

Thor    :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, bdthoresen said:

Craig- you are positively one of the best builders on this site, period. I hold you up there with some of the legends of this forum, like Brian Cauchi, Radu Brinzan, Peter Castle, and others. Dude, you are on a whole another level. Thanks SO much for sharing this build. I too, draw much inspiration from the members here!

Keep up the stellar work…..

Thor    :ph34r:

Thanks very much for your kind words Thor! It's definitely because of guys like you've mentioned that this build has taken the form you see here. I draw much inspiration from everyone on this site, no matter what they are building.... what a fantastic resource we have here!

Thank you for your never ending encouragement and comments! ;) 

Craig

Not wanting to lose momentum on the build, the latest lockdown has motivated me to hit a lot of really awkward parts of the build that I'd been putting off forever!

One of these was back in the cockpit, where the soundproofing goes from the sidewall right up to the side window sill. When I redid the nose, there was a huge gap that I had no idea how I was going to fill. I then made it harder on myself by putting the two rear seats back in and now having the extremely delicate and very exposed roof liner in play, I somehow had to measure, then fit a styrene panel to bridge the gap.....:blink: This is an old photo, but this is what I was up against:

1/9 add

Working only with a pair of tweezers, the open side you see and no amount of patience, I actually managed to not only work out the dimensions of the panel, but also fit the pre-painted panel in place by shimmying it down around the tops of the seats. I don't think I could have made that ANY harder for myself if I had tried! 

1/9

There it is! New panel in place. As you can see there was some other little details to go in on that side too, in addition to re-installing the control columns which were also super un-fun! Got there in the end though!

A few more shots for you....

1/9

1/9

I think that table is screaming out for something interesting to be put on it..... a map seems the obvious choice, but any suggestions?

And so ends probably one of the most nerve wracking jobs of the entire build, and totally self inflicted by my poor planning! ;)

Cheers,

Craig

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 1/9 ship in a bottle, well something like that!