HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Craig,

You are really making headway on this skinning!

The port "square" window looks great --- nicely radiused corners ... the bane of aircraft model windows! Even in 1/72, square cornered widows just don't hack it. The corners and the slight level difference between the window and the skin are right on the accuracy mark. Re-visiting the waist window, fantastic workmanship ... you even got the subtle curve on the front edge of the wind deflector captured right.

Seeing your previous work popping up again (tail wheel, waist gun enclosures) is like seeing them for the first time all over again.

Terry

Amazing. There's nothing more realistic for creating a metal finish than... well... metal. 

I shudder to think about the time spent making, riveting and attaching each panel but the hard graft already looks like it will be well worth the effort - I can't wait to see more.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words gents! I'm really enjoying the work, although progress has unfortunately slowed somewhat lately due to life.......

An extremely rare sunny day in the Manawatu (lower north island of NZ) inspired me to take a pic outside to show off the gleam :)

2/11

Still doesn't do it justice though! 

I skipped forward temporarily to work on the area forward of the bathtub (where the bombing camera sits) and forward again to the area around the forward entry door. Tricky little panels, especially opening up little holes in them, but slow and steady wins the race...

2/11

Just looking at my skin panel diagram I don't think this panel is quite right, but it's on now and not coming off ;) 

The forward entry door was quite a challenge over two panels, but I've learnt a lot in preparation for the all important nose windows....

2/11

The gaps look bad in the sun, but it's the shadows doing that. I'll smooth them down a bit more in time.

Slowly crossing off all the panels I've done, with many many more to do! This is more so I keep track of which one I'm working on.....easy to get confused (I have several times already!)

2/11

Till next time :)

Craig

Craig.

Tedious, but rewarding work! When all is said and done, the only way to truly replicate riveted separate overlapped panels in 1/32 (or larger) is with miniature riveted separate overlapped panels! Raised/engraved panel lines and recessed rivets just don't stand up to the real thing, do they.

Love the glimpse of the "innards" through the nose hatch ... will look great with the option of turning on the light! All your interior details may be getting "closed up," but they sure aren't going to be "lost" by any means! No one can ever accuse you of having a "black hole" area!

Terry

Thanks Terry! 

It is slow and tedious work, but I'm still really enjoying it :). In another mini-milestone in the very long journey, I've completely moved all the way up to the forward most panel (has quite a unique shape and rivet pattern to it) and am making my way up the LH side.

It's really interesting to see all the different shapes and patterns of the various panels, and you've really got to watch which panel you're up to!

I really want to put the DF football on and pitot probes on but I know I'll knock them off........ almost up to the level where I can resume work forward from the radio room again, although I probably need to do some work on the RH side too......

9/11

9/11

9/11

Many, many more rivets to come!

Craig

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 9 Nov, nosing around...

Craig,

Yeah those nose panels are way more then just simple "strips." And that "chin" panel at the front, very unique as well as very important to the "look." Very nice work all around.

This must seem like a never ending job, but you do seem to be making quick work of it.

Don't forget the drift meter opening. You going with the "tube" fully retracted or some different length inserts that you could change out for different looks?

Terry

19 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Well done!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark! Always appreciate you looking in :) 

17 hours ago, crobinsonh said:

Wow

Thanks mate!

16 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Awe-inspiring stuff, Craig!

Kev

Cheers Kev!

2 hours ago, TKB said:

Craig,

Yeah those nose panels are way more then just simple "strips." And that "chin" panel at the front, very unique as well as very important to the "look." Very nice work all around.

This must seem like a never ending job, but you do seem to be making quick work of it.

Don't forget the drift meter opening. You going with the "tube" fully retracted or some different length inserts that you could change out for different looks?

Terry

Thanks Terry! Slow and steady wins the race, but I am making progress :) I haven't really thought too much about the drift meter opening yet. I figure it would be fully retracted normally on the ground, but it would be good to have some extension there just for fun! Probably won't appear until much later in the build for the same reason as the football, but thanks as always for putting the thought back into the brain! 

15 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Love every update Craig. This is going to be a masterpiece when it's all finished.

Matt 

Thanks Matt! I really hope I've got something useful to show after all this time!

Craig