I am impressed! I just received my HK Models B-25J kit

alaninaustria

Wow! What a beautiful looking kit! It's huge and a great canvas to get busy adding detail! This bird will be going into the stash for the future, just couldn't stay quiet about how impressed I am with it! I am really looking forward to getting their upcoming Lancaster and Do-335 birds!

Cheers

Alan

Yes those huge bombers are great ! I was also very impressed by the number of rivets, especially on the B-17. Very nice details and perfect moulding. I cant tell about the fitting as i still have not built it. But i assume it would be pretty good.

Guest Peterpools

Alan

From the terrific builds here on the forum, she sure looks like a tremendous kit and one you will absolutely enjoy building

Peter

It is nice.  I have to admit for me it's a long build project because there is just so much of it to build with two full radial engines, interior, etc.  Mine is about 1/4 done and in a holding pattern until my wandering minds interest picks up again (which it will).  It's only downfall are the props but Harold fixed that for us.

Dang, I want that kit, but that's just a lot of cash to part with for a guy on a low hobby budget. That's why I build so much OOB, and so many low quality kits - I can't afford most of the good stuff! It taught me how to scratch build pretty well, though....

Guess I'm going to have to forgo some kits for a while and save up...

Yep, it is in fact a great kit!  The build goes pretty well in fact (although I built the strafer, its the identical kit to the glass nose, save the .50 cal/strafer nose sprue and glass)  I would definitely recommend the following:

• props/governors (AMS resin has both)
  • resin wheels (kit wheels are OK, but its a pain to sand the seems flush in between the tire tread)
  • AM decals (kit decals are terrible - Zotz has nice sheets for the glass nose)
  • G-Factor white brass gear (Im not 100% sure that the OOB gear are really that weak, but the G-Factor gear are LOVELY)
  • Make sure you remove the 2 sets of erroneous push rods on the engines (DO NOT leave the base of the push rod rings out and ONLY snip off the rods themselves, or you will end up with an engine out of alignment

If it helps at all, see my build review.............I realize its for the strafer, but other than the nose and a few minor cockpit parts the kits are identical. I cover all aspects of that mentioned above, as well as some additions and corrections to the kit that are not needed, but would be nice:

HKM B-25J build review

Edited by Out2gtcha

Alan,

The HK B-25J is, indeed, an awesome kit. I built the glass nose version (some pics and info on my build: http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1876)and have the strafer version in my stash. I still have to acquire the gun nose H version. The engines require a super amount of patience. LOL! No worries as they go together easily. You just have to be very patient with all the little parts. The exhaust tubes require some twisting and turning to get in but they aren't much of a fit issue at all. It took me nearly three weeks just working on the engines alone. You definitely want to paint most of the little parts first, then assemble.

If there is any one bad thing I would say: replace the kit gun barrels. They totally suck.

Also, Profimodeler makes a nose weight. BUT - my build required a little bit more than this. Not sure why. Make sure you test the weight and sitting on the tricycle gear properly before you seal up the nose. I used some powdered lead (available at golfer supply stores for golf ball weight) as the extra weight. It's something like 10 ounces you need....

When you put the guns in the side windows.... Put the window glass on with liquid tape, put the guns in the small slots in the fuselage and then put the gun barrels through the windows into the guns (no glue). THEN glue the guns to the inside of the fuselage. This will make sure that the holes in the gun housing are lined up with the holes in the window canvas as you will (or should) glue the gun barrels in as almost the last thing you do on the model. Yes. Save the gun barrels for very last - even after painting, weathering, decaling, etc.

Good luck! It's a great kit! One of the best ones I've built in a long time.

-Ro

p.s. it took me 19 months... I'm finishing up a Tamiya F4U right now, then on to the HK B-17G....

*EDIT*

I also forgot to mention the other corrction I would HIGHLY recommend for the HKM B-25 (both Strafer and glass nose).............................and that is the tail gun canvas cover. I discovered that this part prevents the .50 cal barrels from actually being inserted into the OOB .50 cal bodies. I made mine from tissue/paper towels soaked in thin CA, but I do believe now there are aftermarket parts available (From Jerry R or AMS maybe?):

1108-8.jpg

1108-7.jpg

Edited by Out2gtcha

• 5 weeks later...

Stop! Just stop it!! I'm fighting the urge to go 1/32 with the big heavies. These threads are not helping! I've really got to quit clicking on these.

"Ohhhhhhhh come on! You know you want to ..."

** Insert image of sexy looking B17G winking, while flashing her bare metal nacelles **

Rog :)

"Ohhhhhhhh come on! You know you want to ..."

** Insert image of sexy looking B17G winking, while flashing her bare metal nacelles **

Rog :)

You're doing this just to get a "Like", aren't you??!!

Edited by ScottsGT

Truly a great kit - some of the best fit I've encountered outside of Tamiya and Wingnut, as well! I built the glass nose back in 2012, and have the strafer in the stash with the intention of doing a PBJ-1J.

Definitely spring for props (I prefer Relish to the AMS props), wheels and gun barrels at a minimum. The G-Factor metal gear is phenomenal as well.