1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

Can you emboss a decal strip?  Riveting the paper side of a decal strip would raise the decal face.  I don't know the effect setting solution would have on an embossed decal once it is set onto the models' surface.

Sincerely,

Mark

You should try alu foil. Not as thick as masking tape, and, if you do not try to burnish the foil precisely around each rivet, it should give you the wanted result. The other option is some thin paper (or ideally cigarette paper) and apply it after soaking it in diluted white glue. You can also press the paper somewhat by laying some soft material (like thin insulation foam) on top and maintaining the pressure with elastic bands while the glue sets.

Hubert

PS edit : I had overlooked geedubelyer's post. Yes that is the cigarette aper I was thinking about. A definite "must have" in the modelling toolbox btw, Gents.

Edited by MostlyRacers

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Following your thought process abd experimentation and no doubt, you will overcome this small but important detail

Keep 'em coming

Peter

thanks for all the suggestions folks :)

..I tried foil and paper and in fact both had the same problem with giving too much definition to the rivets beneath, but were perfect for the subtlety needed in terms of the weight of the material..

..in the end I tried the fineline tape again as it was thick enough to give the 'overlay' result I was after, and was already the right (and uniform) width so was easy to try (plus I was getting slightly bored by then...)..

..I laid out the tape and burnished it down..

WIP638_zpsdoqc2bs3.jpg

WIP639_zpsw21nrw3y.jpg

..and after a light coat of primer I could see it was still a bit too heavy for my liking, but was better than the last attempt..

WIP640_zpsfep7yqa5.jpg

WIP641_zpsrqoweb4b.jpg

..I may well give it another coat and just see if it grows on me...

WIP643_zpsqa3odbjk.jpg

WIP642_zpsisa5ghpc.jpg

WIP644_zpsh4hmzkvf.jpg

I want to do the stabilisers next so might revisit this when it comes time to do the elevators...

you can micro sol / stick decals / future directly onto the solartex?

Hi Rich - yes the decal based rivets and the decal strips stuck pretty well with micro-sol, the foil not so well..

TTFN

Peter

Sorry for the late response but have you considered using strips of Bare Metal Foil over the rivets? The Chrome version is quite thin so may not suit your purpose but the Aluminium version is a bit thicker and may work well.

Erik