1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

evening all :)

so the 'cat and I made it to Telford & back unscathed - it was great to meet so many people and talk about what I had been up to on this rollercoaster build..

I picked up a lorry load of supplies - lots of card, brass, rod, resin etc etc and spent way more than I should have so I damn well better finish this one!

so, as I left it last I was working out what to do about the nosewheel bay - I decided to detail the interior and then fix the casting for the final shaping work - first step in the process was getting the casting in a fit state to get the layout of the gear doors and internal bulheads sorted..

..the casting is slightly off centre laterally so first thing was marking out the centreline - i find this easiest by taping cotton to known points and using the Mk. 1 eyeball..

WIP175_zps73c27f5a.jpg

..all the plans I can find are wrong for the layout of the doors so I measured and scaled from photographs to draw out a paper template...

WIP176_zpsd3c0a255.jpg

..after marking out, I rough cut the shape, being careful not to snap the sides as the narrowest point is quite weak...

WIP177_zps867c5f98.jpg

..I refined the shape and ground out the inside surfaces to thin them to near scale (while wearing a mask...)

WIP178_zpsa787e0f6.jpg

WIP179_zpsac46512f.jpg

..shot a coat of primer to see where I need to even out some divots & bumps...

WIP180_zpsa1527701.jpg

..the basic form is coming together...

WIP182_zps13230789.jpg

WIP181_zpsa27261ac.jpg

still really enjoying myself, and having nearly splurged on a Kinetic 1/24 P47 at Telford to get the engine to make copies of, I came home to a welcome email from a hugely generous LSP member offering me loan of the parts from their kit :yahoo:

happy days

TTFN
Peter

Magic Peter!

And BiG thank you for exhibiting this and the Sea Fury on our stand - lots of interest.

Hopefully you (and Tom) have seen comment I've made on my Connie build re. inspiration!  :)

Iain

Magic Peter!

And BiG thank you for exhibiting this and the Sea Fury on our stand - lots of interest.

Hopefully you (and Tom) have seen comment I've made on my Connie build re. inspiration!  :)

Iain

Thanks Iain - it's always a pleasure to show my humble efforts on your stand at Telford - in fact if I didn't only my family and I would ever see what I was up to!

thanks for the comment about inspiring you to get back in the saddle on the Connie - it works both ways - I watched that come together and how you used kit parts re-cast in resin and thought 'I could try that' :unsure:

..as for Tom's Halifax - he was kind enough to give me a personal tour for 20 minutes and all I can say is it was pretty much the most awe inspiring model I have had the pleasure to drool all over - simply superb and with such presence...more inspiration...

yay progress!  Your restraint in buying that P-47 is admirable Peter, as it was a foot away from your head all weekend!

haha - you noticed Rich! the stand next to me had it right there - I kept looking at it and holding myself back from trying some bewitching spiel to try & get it at trade price!

anyways, on to todays little postette - today was about the nosewheel bay...  I have very few clear references for this (hint..plea for help...) but this one gives me an idea of what is needed

WIP189_zpsd36445fe.jpg

first up, getting a basic roof panel to work on... I put a bit of card in place and drew the outline of the casting that sits on top of it...

WIP183_zpsd2f79628.jpg

..then I drew out the main details on the part - where the wheel retracts there is a pressed aluminium panel with a depression in it - the shape doesn't seem to relate to the wheel / tyre size but nonetheless it's there..

I made a plunge mould (top right) and taped a bit of card sheet to a thicker sheet with a long slot cut out of it (top left) - I held it over the stove and pressed the two together...

WIP184_zps6cbb4576.jpg

..it worked first time which was a bonus - I cut the part shape from the sheet and added some decal rivets...

WIP185_zps4bd6d868.jpg

..fitted the pressing part and started to build up some of the details from card, brass & rivets...

WIP186_zps80332262.jpg

...also routed out a little slot in the nose so it all sits flat on the nose casting - I have some tube/rod on order to start building the noseleg and will set a tube at the right angle at the front where the brass part ends so the leg can just slot into it..

WIP187_zpsb48b761f.jpg

..and checking it still all fits within the lower casting...

WIP188_zps04d72807.jpg

..until next time, thats it for now

TTFN

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

howdy folks & happy holidays to those across the pond.. :)

I have been very fortunate to have been helped out by Ray Peterson (LSP_Ray) who in an act of great kindness sent me the engine parts from his 1/24 Kinetic P47 so I can have a bash at casting a couple of copies to hang on the wings of my Tigercat.

..these are one-piece mouldings of each cylinder bank and are a perfect basis for what I have planned - I just want to make sure I am very careful so I can return them in flawless condition. I spent a while thinking about how best to do it and decided on open moulds I can pour into and create 'halves' of each bank. The problem with this approach is that there will be seam lines on the very fine cylinder finning detail but to be honest I can't think of another way...

so lets see how it went..

..first bank was set in shallow plasticine...

WIP191_zpsab3cd0b8.jpg

...poured that mould & turned it over to capture the back face...

WIP192_zps16db27eb.jpg

..same for the other bank of cylinders..

WIP193_zpse7f4f848.jpg

..over a couple of days I got the four mould sections completed...

WIP194_zps4ff3cb04.jpg

..the Sylmasta stuff I use captures detail perfectly.. (I took the precaution of adding locating pins to the mould in case I have to fallback on putting the moulds together and casting the cylinder blocks as a one part casting..)...

WIP195_zpsf28006fd.jpg

..the first couple of pours looked ok - a few bubbles but its really all about the cylinders & they look fine...

WIP196_zpse0157259.jpg

..cleaned up the mating faces..

WIP197_zps28f8537f.jpg

WIP198_zps25eff66a.jpg

..now I have to say the jury is out on whether I do it this way - there are seams, and I am not too happy with how they dry fit as it is impossible to get the mating faces the same as the way the parts were split in the mould..

WIP199_zps8673789a.jpg

..maybe I might do it a cylinder at a time, maybe I will try casting half the complete part across it's lateral mid-point - I really don't know..

..that said, I did say at the start of this build that it was a bit of an experiment so I should not get too hung up on perfection & just press on or I will never get it finished...

thats it for now & thanks again to Ray for the parts loan :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TTFN

Peter