Horten hears a Deere - Ho229 back from the dead!

seiran01

Thanks gents. Scottsman, no respect is deserved by me, I'm just the assembler, however I will agree that ZM deserves a boatload of respect for their efforts!.

I was challenged at the meeting last night to finish half of the plane in unpainted wood/metal as a few others have done with recent German subjects. I'm open to this but not convinced just yet. Can anyone verify what panels would have been metal? I know the bulk was wood and figure the metal was limited to engine cowls and panels immediately behind, gear doors, canopy frame etc, but can't determine if other external bits were also metal.

Thanks

Alexander Glass from Uschi van der Rosten did something like that on a Revell Horten 1/72 scale. Here's a picture from it, it looks stunning, even in this small scale.

Horten.JPG

Thanks for the pic, yes that's the general idea that has been suggested. I'd want to confirm beyond all doubt which panels are wood or metal first, I'm skeptical about the leading edge panels alternating wood/metal/wood/metal

According to my reference, 'Horten H0228 Spirit of Turinga' the leading edge should be plywood all the way, I quote:

"The 17 mm thick plywood used on the wings nose (note: I read leading edge) was to be substituted by 15 mm thick composite consisting of two layers of 1.5 mm plywood with a resin-impregnated pressed mix os sawdust and charcoal sandwitched in between". 

Also take note that in the picture from Alexander Glass, he has not yet finished applying the wood decals. The yellow-ish sections on the leading edge are base layers for the wood-decals.

Edited by Wouter

Definitely the one subject I've really been 'waiting' for.

The whole internal structure is something i could do without, but if the shape is right, I'm getting it.

Can't believe I'm building a Do335 in 1/35 now, have a 219 in the stash while a 229 is hitting the market...

Progress! more assembly and painting. Base color is tamiya XF-22 (RLM grey) with a wash of AK enamel track wash brushed over the ribs to not just highlight the recessed but to give some variation to the "standard" RLM02.

You do need to be careful gluing the wing rib frames to the fuselage frame, as they have multiple attachment points including some flimsy rods at the back and the control horns from the thinnest pushrod looping through the ribs and attaching from the outside. The end result looks great but it does take extra care.  Ok back to work... :piliot:

photo%2B1.JPG

photo%2B2.JPG

photo%2B3.JPG

photo%2B4.JPG

Progress! more assembly and painting. Base color is tamiya XF-22 (RLM grey) with a wash of AK enamel track wash brushed over the ribs to not just highlight the recessed but to give some variation to the "standard" RLM02.

You do need to be careful gluing the wing rib frames to the fuselage frame, as they have multiple attachment points including some flimsy rods at the back and the control horns from the thinnest pushrod looping through the ribs and attaching from the outside. The end result looks great but it does take extra care.  Ok back to work... :piliot:

photo%2B1.JPG

photo%2B2.JPG

photo%2B3.JPG

photo%2B4.JPG

Just love the engineering on this.  Great work Mike.

A little more tonight; IPMS meeting and post meeting drink ran a little long :innocent:

You can see the rear main frame assembly in the bottom of the photo and attached sitting in place without glue in the lower photo. This assembly contains the battery, control surface actuator, and main gear hydraulic cylinder. Will be painted before attaching.

The battery should probably have a scrap piece of sheet plastic added to form the back side as it's otherwise hollow, but unless you display the engines removed, i highly doubt anyone could see the back of the battery considering the proximity to an engine.

IMAG0048_1.jpg

IMAG0049_1.jpg

love this!  wood finish on those wing(s)?  that would be awesome.   

post meeting drink...you had 2 to my 1.  :)

Should have had a few more tonight, Rick...

Alrighty, for now, the lower fuselage frame is as complete as can be, with battery, cannon, ammo bins, feed chutes, and a few control push rods that are tricky to position correctly even with the multiple angle diagrams in the instructions. Unfortunately they don't show up well in the photos, but the mk108 cannon are very nicely detailed.

The upper frame cannot be attached until the engines are installed, so i think it's time to break out the Alclad and start building some Jumos!

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

Started piecing together one of the kits two Jumo 004 engines. At first glance, all one can say is wow, though when you start assembling, it's not perfect.  The pic shows the major components of the engine - there are additional parts for the external piping and other bits attached onto the engine which are not shown.  

The full compressor bank is a nice touch if you want to display an engine open, though you don't get details in the combustion chamber. The intake section of the engine is split into four pieces - two halves splitting horizontally in front of two halves splitting vertically. This does create some rather annoying seams that will need to be filled and sanded, as this area should be done in metal finish.  It appears the parts breakdown was done this way to best mold the external details on those parts.

Similar comment on the large rear compression chamber - the rear cone assembly is sandwiched inside and it appears that there will be a frustrating seam inside here as well. best approach may be to paint the interior of these flat black and detail paint the rear fan/cone as desired.

Question - I'm considering picking up some CMK BMW003 jet engines which they make in resin for the he162. These were the original intended engines for the Horten - does anyone know how these compare in size to the Jumos in case modifications of the kit may be needed? I was pondering resin jumos but none exist in 1/32 scale. Trumpeter Jumo engines aren't any better engineered.

This will be the last build update until after Labour Day weekend unfortunately. Long business trip and then off to a wedding = no build time.

unnamed.jpg

wow, thats an amazing amount of detail to cover up!

It is, but the amount of work needed to clean up the fan blades from the molding process is beyond the amount of work I'm willing to put in. If I decide to go the bmw engine route (or if someone puts out a good resin jumo), then I may build one of these as a cutaway - ZM has cleverly molded an engine stand for each engine as part of the sprue!