Horten hears a Deere - Ho229 back from the dead!

seiran01

(Finally) Another update on this kit, i've had very little time to work on it this week but I did fill and sand down about ten ejector pin marks on the lower central fuselage piece and 5 in the lower rear piece before painting them up in oils to simulate wood grain. Photos below show the oils without a clearcoat on them and you'll also note a few remaining ejector pin marks on the lower rear piece which will be hidden once I paint this thing. 

A pic from wood panels removed on the NASM Ho229 show what appears to be RLM02 painted on the interior lower panels, so I will be painting the right side of the aircraft interior with this color once the wood is sealed, and will probably rough it up to have some of the wood grain showing through in some areas.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Final pic shows the clear top fuselage part sitting on top - this piece has four ejector pin marks in the centerline, one on the inside of each engine cowl front, and two each along the left and right sides. Again considering how I'll paint, I only "need" to tackle 3 of these!

3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Phew, finally some more progress to share! I finally stopped procrastinating on the Jumos and filled/sanded the seams in the intakes, and painted the darn things up as you'll see here.

Colours are Tamiya Japanese Army Grey XF-14, X187 semi-gloss black, Alclad polished aluminum for the metal bits, and Alclad pale burnt metal lightly sprayed over the very back end.  Will begin working on all the engine detail parts shortly, in addition to repainting the black on one of the engines where the alclad bled under my masking tape...

unnamed.jpg

Alright, time to celebrate, one engine is complete! My camera is not exactly cooperating tonight so these pix will have to do for now.  All the piping and little detail bits turned out to be surprisingly well engineered - very easy to install and align correctly.

1.jpg

11.jpg

111.jpg

Thanks guys!  

Rick, I'm hoping to have this done before the "official" release of the kit late next month and if life doesn't distract me too much, it's definitely doable. Once the 2nd engine is done, really all that's left to do will be the landing gear, cockpit, and drag rudders/air brakes, before final assembly can begin.