New Revell Spitfire Mk II build

ironman1945

Edgar - I thought I was the only one who knew things like this.  I'm not sure what this says about us!

I've watched sewing being done, a friend worked at White Waltham doing this work, and (not the same by any means) I've sewn carpets together, so have some idea of what's needed.

Edgar

For those of you who're interested in fabric covering (and aircraft technical information in general) the following link is to one of the Mechanic study guides (Advisory Circular AC-65-15A) for a U.S. certificated aircraft mechanic.  It explains a lot about dope and fabric and how/when to use the different tapes, etc.  Please note that this information may or may not be applicable to the Spitfire as it is a U.S. document.  Certainly the terminology used will vary between the two dialects.  This book, accompanied by the other two in the series are used to teach aircraft mechanics in the U.S. and are what I used when I studied for my A&P Mechanic certificate.  However, for what it's worth:

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_65-15A.pdf

Edited by Juggernut

When Peter Cooke was producing his models, he always reckoned that George Cox's drawings (below) were the most accurate.Don't confuse the Griffon cowling with that of the Merlin, since they are completely different.scan0006-Copy_zps939ba626.jpg

G'day Edgar,

Just a quick one on those drawings have they been published in a book or as plans only?

Thanks

Darren

They were in Scale Models when Pontius was a pilot, and appeared in "Aircraft Archive Fighters of World War Two Volume 1" ISBN 0-85242-939-8, published by Argus Books in 1988.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar Brooks

I've got that copy of Scale Models. Didn't the Cox plans appears in their 40th anniversary Battle of Britain build series too? I have them somewhere too. I'll find them up and post up the issue numbers and dates here. I'm sure I do have duplicate copies too.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Spitfire plans that appeared in the paperback Aerodata International book?

Regards;
Steve

They were in Scale Models when Pontius was a pilot, and appeared in "Aircraft Archive Fighters of World War Two Volume 1" ISBN 0-85242-939-8, published by Argus Books in 1988.

Edgar

This book shows up in our database, here. Thanks, Edgar.

Nope - RIAT yesterday - I was a good boy and returned with only two kits - the Spit and a Hobbyboss IL-2M courtesy of Andy @ Antics  :)

Had opportunity to fly into Duxford today in the Piper L4 - but after RIAT - and RAF Balloon last night I though Duxford would be pushing it!

First pass on Spit - looks a lot better than I was expecting after all the discussions I've read.

Iain

Nope - RIAT yesterday - I was a good boy and returned with only two kits - the Spit and a Hobbyboss IL-2M courtesy of Andy @ Antics  :)

Had opportunity to fly into Duxford today in the Piper L4 - but after RIAT - and RAF Balloon last night I though Duxford would be pushing it!

First pass on Spit - looks a lot better than I was expecting after all the discussions I've read.

Iain

Likewise - My initial thoughts were that although simplified in many areas, it still looks pretty reasonable and is obviously built to a price -  a reasonable kit at a more than reasonable price. I am going to assess this kit myself in detail and make my own judgements, which I shall post here on LSP once I am done.

BTW, You would have loved the Connie Iain :)

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

... First pass on Spit - looks a lot better than I was expecting after all the discussions I've read ... Iain

Likewise - My initial thoughts were that although simplified in many areas, it still looks pretty reasonable and is obviously built to a price -  a reasonable kit at a more than reasonable price. I am going to assess this kit myself in detail and make my own judgements, which I shall post here on LSP once I am done ... Derek

I seriously can't see what the drama was about ... My 2 kits arrived a week or two ago ... Not a bad kit at all really!! A couple of things need adjustment but from the carry on you'd think RoG had tried to pass off a Hurricane as a Spit!!

Look forward to your thoughts Derek

Rog :)