1/32 Phantom FGR2 RAF 6 Squadron (1970/1971)

kitbasha

First photos from my latest project, a Tamiya 1/32 F-4J converted to an FGR2 using Wild Hare's conversion set. I'll say at the outset that the set did cost me a fair bit, and that the quality is far from good, but it's something I can get my teeth into and enjoy the finished model more. The first image is from the 'net, and that's what I'm aiming to build, a beautiful Coningsby 6 Sqaudron 'Canopeners' Phantom from the very early 70's. Glossy grey/green and hi viz roundels, lovely!!! So far, I've fitted the seamless intakes and added the boundary layer guide vanes between the fuselage and the intake ramps, modified the kit pilot's coaming and HUD, scratchbuilt the rear seater's instrument panel, (also modified the rear cockpit instrument panels), hollowed out and thinned the exhaust nozzles, added the edging strips to the auxiliary air intakes, offset the rudder (I will 'pose' the finished model with offset nosewheel and dropped flaps/slats), scrathbuilt the IFR probe cover, and I'm now working on modifying the kit seats and adding crew. Ive used PJ productions Luftwaffe pilots as a base, and added the excellent Mastercasters RAF pilot helmet/mask, not 100% accurate but its as good as I can get it!! The model will be loaded up with four Matra SNEB pods and an SUU23A gun pod on the centre line. The markings will be masks made by Mal Mayfield at Miracle Masks. Hopefully get it done for the Telford Nats!!

XV432_zpsedf04195.jpg

IMG_0003_zpse5204df9.jpg

IMG_0004_zps436d9625.jpg

IMG_0005_zpsd7e11e9f.jpg

IMG_0006_zpse90a00e5.jpg

IMG_0007_zps5e28a5fd.jpg

IMG_0008_zpsfcf5c2c0.jpg

IMG_0009_zps852e2db4.jpg

IMG_0010_zps1a1b8459.jpg

amazing...one of the kits that REALY missing on that market......

Question.... where did you got the intakes and the nozzles??

I have that project put it back, for that reason.....

great work...

M

amazing...one of the kits that REALY missing on that market......

Question.... where did you got the intakes and the nozzles??

I have that project put it back, for that reason.....

great work...

M

The intakes are most likely Seamless Suckers...http://www.arcair.com/Rev2/1801-1900/rev1872-Seamless-Suckers-F-4/00.shtm

Nice work on the crew kitbasha. It's good to see figures in models to give a bit of life.

As an aside, I was recently told a short story by an ex Warrant Officer who explained that some Phantom crews engaged in a somewhat dubious test of courage.

Apparently, at the top of the departure climb the pilot would push over the top at which point the GIB would unlatch the rear canopy and his straps. At the point he became weightless he would reach out of the open canopy and scrawl on the pilots hood with a china graph pencil to see how far forward he could reach...... :blink:

:wacko:

:mental:

An aircraft apparently returned on more than one occasion with a very shaken backseater and missing the rear canopy!

Possibly a subject for a diorama project........? :hmmm:

:coolio:

• 2 weeks later...

A small update on progress of crew and cockpit: I made the various harness straps from Verlinden lead foil and attached them with cyano. Figures painted and dry brushed with Humbrol gloss and matt enamels, seats sprayed with Tamiya semi gloss black and dry brushed with Humbrol acrylic matt white. Various bits of coloured Detail Master wire added here and there. The ejection seat handles were wrapped with a thin strip of Tamiya masking tape and sprayed with Tamiya matt yellow, this gave a fairly good pattern effect. All the CRT screens were punched out from a really old strip of 35mm negative film leader which is a very slightly opaque black and perfect for this. I test fitted as much as possible to ensure fit, and had to cut and re-position arms and legs to fit the kit cockpit. I think they look pretty much RAF ish?

IMG_0002_zps9e506c72.jpg

IMG_0007_zps62fbbad8.jpg

IMG_0014_zps60561876.jpg

IMG_0016_zpsee23bbc4.jpg

IMG_0019_zps9a2d40f8.jpg

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee444/kittbasha/IMG_0023_zpsa197c2c0.jpg

IMG_0024_zpsd8358795.jpg

Edited by kitbasha