1/32 Phantom FGR2 RAF 6 Squadron (1970/1971)

kitbasha

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! The wait for the EMI pod will be well worth the wait, and will add the perfect finishing touch. Hopefully meet you at Telford?

Many thanks, and to everyone else who has been in touch. Definitely be at Telford this year, so see you, and the model, and all the other stuff, at the show!

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

This looks so smart, if i ever was to build a 1:32 FGR2 i would have to do mine in the Alcock and Brown Transadlantic race scheme. Now to talk some resin maker into makign a conversion.

Edited by ollieholmes

Awesome work mate. I've just got hold of the airdoc book on British phantoms and it certainly stirs the juices for sure.

Would love to see this with wing tanks, sparrows, suu-23 gun pod and 6 x matra rocket pods.....but that's just me from reading the book.....!

Love your work.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread! I finally got round to doing a bit more work and completed the inboard pylons and bomb racks, the bombs will be the inert blue/green concrete practice bombs which were very common on FGR2s. I originally wanted to show the model with 4 x AIM-9Gs and 4 x 'live' 1000lb bombs, but I couldn't find a single photo anywhere of this load-out which suggests that it was not an armament option due to the role? After modifying the kit pylons, I used two sets of the Flightpath 1/32 TERs to make up the RAF version of the triple ejector rack known as the the CBTE, and a set of their 1000lb GP bombs with 117 tails. Perhaps not 100% accurate, but they look convincing enough. Extra detail was added using resin cast bolt heads and panel pins for the sway brace bolts, along with some plastic rod and copper wire.

IMG_0001_zpse8277440.jpg

IMG_0002_zpscbd29462.jpg

IMG_0004_zpsb4af4aff.jpg