Finished - World Famous Golden Dragon landing

red Dog

One small correction for any future Hornet build.......the edges of the trailing edge flaps are not red on the F/A-18. They are gray (can be either the 36375 used for the bottom or 36320 used for the top).

Thank you Dave,

I thought so as well and that's what I usually do but the picture I found of VFA-192 seems to have them red, so I painted them red as well

fa18c_vfa192nf304d.jpg

fa18cvfa192nf304.jpg

images from http://contrailahoya.sakura.ne.jp/newcontrail/

Edited by red Dog

Thank you Dave,

I thought so as well and that's what I usually do but the picture I found of VFA-192 seems to have them red, so I painted them red as well

images from [url=http://contrailahoya.sakura.ne.jp/newcontrail/

Interesting! In all of the years I spent with the Hornet (approximately 15), I never saw that part of the aircraft painted red. Now my curiosity is peaked......is this specific to VFA-192, or did 'some' Hornets get this treatment.....time to do a little research!

interesting indeed !!

maybe one of their crew was hurt by a moving surface or took it in the head while crawling Under the aircraft and the CO decided to paint them red anyway :)

no idea really, pure speculation. and i also have pictures of VFA-192 with these in gray as well .

Beautiful work! As you have heavily weathered (quite accurately) your hornet, make sure that carrier deck is really banged up! In my experience, by the fourth or fifth month of deployment the landing area gets very worn and you can hardly see the centerline anymore due to wear and buildup of rubber from thousands of touchdowns.

Looking great!

Leo

Still need to weather the deck line but I'll call her done for the moment;

Here are the final pictures. I had to wait for a long time to get clear enough weather to get outside and shoot the model, unfortunately it was windy and I had to stabilize the model with the B plan rod. When not doing so the model was oscillating too much with the Wind .. and my heart was as well :)

GD_F18C_100_final.jpg

GD_F18C_98_final.jpg

GD_F18C_99_final.jpg

GD_F18C_102_final.jpg

GD_F18C_105_final.jpg

GD_F18C_104_final.jpg

GD_F18C_106_final.jpg

Here are two pictures of the model without the backup support, taken inhouse

GD_F18C_86_final.jpg

GD_F18C_84_final.jpg

Edited by red Dog

the B plan rod is a 6.5mm transparent plexiglass tube

GD_F18C_108_Brod.jpg

When not used, the modern centerline pylon is placed with it's tank.

GD_F18C_109_Brod.jpg

I can easily change the configuration by removing the tank and pylon and removing the ventral plate, getting access to the two screw holes on the belly of the aircraft.

GD_F18C_110_Brod.jpg

I then install another tank mounted on the spare older centerline pylon. That tank has a large hole in it to let the support pass through

GD_F18C_111_Brod.jpg

I then slide the support into the tank and then into rearmost screw hole.

Edited by red Dog