the next Tamiya 1/32 kit anounced

ChuckT

Guest Dekenba

Jennings, I'm not sure you meant it this way, but you basically just used scientific mumbo-jumbo to say you have some sort of superior ability to "the rest of us." By your logic, perhaps you can't see that Trumpeter has it "right" and you're wrong? ;)

Let's call bullshit bullshit and move on from this. You don't like the Trumpy kits, others do. Trying to jazz up personal preference as an "ability to distinguish shapes" and "different abilities, strengths and weaknesses" sounds an awful lot like the justification I heard for why women can't lead, blacks couldn't be quarterbacks or Asians can't drive correctly.

This gets my "post of the year so far" award.

Well Im really looking forward to the birdcage and will likely pick one up even though I prefer the bubble top. I personally have 0 problem with Trumpeter. They like all of us have good and bad..............and Ive built a LOT of them, so I dont agree with dissing any manufacturers like that as there are some great models them make...........

Some not so great, but arent there always?

Im NO Trumpy hater. As a matter of fact I was SUPER exited when I got a chance to buy the Trumpy razorback! Until I actually got it and looked at it up close.

Personally I know for a fact I have no "abilities" in the respect Jennings is referring to, but I also have to agree with him. I know certain people can see things that are just "not right"

I have no clue why, I just know some of us are bothered by certain shapes if they appear off and some of us are not. Thats saying nothing about anyone personally so dont go flying off any handles, Im just stating the fact that certain people get bothered by off shapes and some dont.

You can call it BS, but I KNOW for a fact Im no rivet counter..................and no 0 about the B-17......................but I know what a B-17 should feel look like.....................but yet that first art work of the B-17 came out I could see immediately that there was as Jennings put it "something off" about the area behind the nose.

No clue what it was and coulnt tell you why, but something was off. Later I learned from experts that there apparently IS something a bit off in that area.

Again im NO rivet counter but I agree 100% with Jennings on the Trupy razor back: Something is definitely off about it in the cowl and forward fuse, as well as looking too bloated in the belly. Dont get me wrong, it still looks similar to a real P-47 razorback, but fit, interior detail and that aside the Has kit builds up spectacularly and Id take bashing it with the Revell offering if I was stuck on that Island........ Thats how off it looks to me, but that is what makes our hobby so great:

We each can build what we like on a personal level.

Ill stick with my Revell/Hasegawa mix any and every day of the week. Not trying to keep this old discussion going either as its obvious the people who like that thing like it and theres no changing that..........and people like myself who dont & think its way off are not going to be swayed to build that thing......period.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Guys

Let's just get back to discussing Tamiya's new forth coming Corsair. I'm not quite sure how we got so side tracked.

Edited by Peterpools

Damn, for a minute there I was about to yell "FISH ON!" LOL! :rofl:

Bill, I think you've read too much into Jennings' post. His analogies are akin to the reason why Chuck Yeager, Bud Anderson and a good many others became the aces they did...they could see better than the others could. Differences and differing abilties are common traits amongst us humans, that's what makes us kind of unique (individually). Some of us have been around the block a few times and have learned things from experience. Others have a leg up, so to speak, in that they have an innate ability to see what others cannot. In my case, I never noticed the flat section in the front of the B-17 windscreen until someone at ARC pointed it out to me. I just knew something wasn't right about the way the windscreen looked.

I'm the guy who dislikes the vast majority of Trumpeter kits, including their P-47 series.... Why? They simply are not what I've come to know about the P-47, in shape, detail or overall appearance. I've sold every Trumpeter kit I have (except one Me262B-1a/U1 which I will build at some point) because I have neither the time nor the desire to correct the errors (small or large) that are apparent in most of their kits. Nor will I purchase another until such time as they get a kit as accurate as at least the Hasegawa kits are. And when the Tamiya P-51D Mustang was released, several people screamed about all the knockout pin marks in the main wheel wells, including me. In a kit that expensive, it's uncalled for. As far as the Hasegawa P-47D is concerned, there are errors and omissions in that kit too but by my educated eye, it's far and away the better kit vs. the Trumpeter bubbletop. There is no 100% accurate kit; probably never will be. The Tamiya company is pushing the envelope as close to that mark as is humanly possible I believe.

Relax, have fun and enjoy the ride. This F4U-1 kit is probably going to be better than the P-51D is.

I have no idea if the F4U-1's participated in the invasion of Saipan. I don't know when the F4U was deployed to the carrier force but I do know that the majority of the earlier F4U-1's were land based with the Marines and a couple land based U.S. Navy units (VF-17 being one). I know that a great majority of the fighter/bomber aircraft over the skies of Saipan, Tinian, Guam and Rota were F6F Hellcats. There were probably other aircraft I'm not including but the F6F was a major player in that campaign. The Mariana's Islands are too far from the Phillipines or Papua New Guinea for land based single-engine fighters to sortie to so any land based F4U-1's would not have participated unless they were based much closer.

I agree with those who want to turn this back to talking about Corsairs. I appreciate the information about Saipan. I have seen lots of newsreels of Corsairs doing rocket runs on Japanese pillboxes on Iwo and later, so I will just have to do some digging on Jyrene units. Anyone have any suggestions on where to begin that search?

crystal-ball.jpg

"Ummmm, ummm, I see in the future, a Tamiya Bennett PL-11 Airtruck in 1/32 scale"

The reason the kits would fly from the shelves is that the shelves would refuse to carry a model of that amazingly...um different plane. EESH
Edited by Av8fan

I for one am so glad to have all the kits that are out there. We really should be thankful that we have as many Mustangs,. T-Bolts, B-25's, Spitfires and everything else to choose from. I have not built nor have seen the perfect kit.

Let's just hope that the model companies keep producing kits in our scale so that we can build them.

Mike

PS Since I was right in saying that Tamiya was doing a Corsair, I predict that their next plane will be a Hurricane.

I've been packing for an impending move, and I came across Finescale Modeler's January 2000 issue. In the "New Products" announcements, there was nothing in 1/32 scale. It's a great time to be a modeler! Bring on that bent winged bird!

What I find baffling about the "Trumpeter Razorback is wrong" kind of people is that NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE has shown one single shred of evidence to prove how it is wrong. None of these "better sighted" people showed a single comparison with drawings and photos. Yes, some of us are not worthy. Teach us! Yes, some of us are misguided. Show us the right path!

"Something ain't right" is just gut feeling, not skill/ability. Usually, in TV series and movies, the guy who says "something ain't right" is the first to step on a landmine or be gobbled by the monster. The guy who prevails is the guy who applies skills. So, please, apply some skills and stop acting like the sacrificial redshirt in Star Trek. Yes, Trumpeter has made some stinkers. But they also made some good stuff. I like the Trumpeter Razorback.

Back to the topic. I placed a pre-order with HLJ for a Corsair. Can't wait!

Radu

Guest Dekenba

What I find baffling about the "Trumpeter Razorback is wrong" kind of people is that NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE has shown one single shred of evidence to prove how it is wrong. None of these "better sighted" people showed a single comparison with drawings and photos. Yes, some of us are not worthy. Teach us! Yes, some of us are misguided. Show us the right path!

"Something ain't right" is just gut feeling, not skill/ability. Usually, in TV series and movies, the guy who says "something ain't right" is the first to step on a landmine or be gobbled by the monster. The guy who prevails is the guy who applies skills. So, please, apply some skills and stop acting like the sacrificial redshirt in Star Trek. Yes, Trumpeter has made some stinkers. But they also made some good stuff. I like the Trumpeter Razorback.

Radu

Radu, you may be a brilliant modeller, you may be producing some pretty nifty stuff for us modellers, but imagine what you could do if you too shared the gift of the modellers hidden sight that is shared by a chosen few.

Radu

Yes, I really think we should keep it there, too...

Kev

FFS! Never though Id agree with that one so much.............

JEEZ LOUIEZ...............I regret ever even commenting on the R-back again. Really tired of having to prove out what is essentially my own opinion on this..........cause I dont need to provide you or anyone else with any of my skills to know what does or doesnt look right to me. This has nothing to to with Trumpeter for me as I love a lot of their kits.

Apparently Im the one who is not worthy since Im not providing some picture of a model superimposed over a picture of the real thing an act like somehow thats "proof" that the Trupy razorback is correct VS the real deal.

Build whatever the hell you want, just don't try to get me to build it or tell me its "right"

Now back to your regularly scheduled Corsair program.................I hope.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Im wondering..................

I just got the "sneak peak" Shizuoka show preview..............are they going to have one of these there for sprue ogling like they did with the P-51??

Anyone going to be at the show??