Quitting smoking or have you quit?

LSP_Ron

Harvey started this with his wish to quit, noting this is not an anti smoking thread. I get it, I smoked for over 15 years......and loved every minute of it.....

I quit in 2005 on Christmas Day. It was time, the year before my bother in law died from cancer (non-related to smoking) and my niece and nephew really pushed me to quit. I used the patch and a lot of support.

How did I do it,? I started with the patch about a month before X-Mas wearing it every day but smoked as I wanted but tried to cut down. I picked X-mas because I was the only smoker going outside for a smoke alone. By the time X-mas hit I was hooked on the patch more than the smoke. It took a few months to get off the patch and I kept one on hand as a back up for months but never used it.

I will say, it was one of the hardest things I've done so I really wish Harv good luck and hope he uses this thread as support to quit.

I'd suggest coming to this thread and explain why you need a smoke, then go work on the P-38 for a bit, If you still need a smoke after that go have one, and the important point if you do..... smack on another patch......it takes time but you will quit with this method, trust me, it works. Quitting the patch is much easier, just carry one with you knowing you can use it when ever you want. Eventually you realize, "why the hell am I carrying these?"

Good luck to those who want to quit,

Ron

Cheers Ron!

Thank you for sharing your method, sounds a bit odd but if it works then it is DEFINITELY worth trying. I am a current smoker, have tried everything in the past I could think of with nothing working for me yet. Funny, I have been thinking VERY hard about quitting in the next two months, and I really like your idea here. Did you ever experience any side effects from using both the patch as well as smoking?

I've never smoked but I watched my mother die of smoking related small cell carcenoma (lung cancer caused by smoking). She had given up 15 years before getting lung cancer and it ate her away. It was a bloody horrific way to die and my mother was on massive pain killers in a attempt (failed) to mask the pain. My mother died in pain and her body just gave up when it couldn't take any more. I'd love to sue those evil cigarette companies for every cent and donate every cent to those suffering from smoking related diseases.

To those who still smoke - please for yourselves and your loved ones, don't give up trying to give up.

I'm with you on this one, Ron. You and I had briefly discussed addiction in the past, and oddly enough, I too have been giving very serious thought to trying to get away from this nasty addiction. Strange that I can think of 20 very good reasons to quit, but not one single good reason to continue. I quit once for about three months (using the patches and some self determination), and I was amazed how readily my body was beginning to recover. Perhaps the time has come again for action.

Cheers Ron!

Did you ever experience any side effects from using both the patch as well as smoking?

None what so ever, It just made the cravings less predominant, half the part of quitting is the habit of pulling on a smoke i.e. fingers in a V holding a smoke and pulling a drag. That takes time to over come, I actually crave it writing this and it's been years..... I put on a patch and carried on as normal as a start focusing on no more going outside for a smoke.....(For the record, I don't take liability if that is wrong advise...)

I'm with you on this one, Ron. You and I had briefly discussed addiction in the past, and oddly enough, I too have been giving very serious thought to trying to get away from this nasty addiction. Strange that I can think of 20 very good reasons to quit, but not one single good reason to continue. I quit once for about three months (using the patches and some self determination), and I was amazed how readily my body was beginning to recover. Perhaps the time has come again for action.

Give it a go, there is no down side with trying or even cutting down.

Ron

I also enjoyed having a smoke but realised that being a pilot in an airline and smoking isn't a good combo. Plus having a son arrive on the scene and the choice was pretty clear.

I enjoy challenging myself and decided to go cold turkey and see if I could override my cravings with mind power. A few days and it was over and I was smoke free. Looking back, in two years since I quit I have been able to save the equivilant of 2 times the total of all of Wingnut Wings releases combined.

Eric.

I should note that once you've cracked it, you've cracked it. When I say one still craves it, it is definitely not the same crave as when your addicted so please don't use that as an excuse to quit trying because I am proof that doesn't measure up...... addiction is all about excuses to continue.......crack that and your WAYYYYYY -------AHEAD

Hi All, I agree quitting this addictions, is one of the toughest things Ive also every done. I too quit cold turkey, I was told year 2, 5 and 7 would be hard to overcome. Well this past Oct was 7 years. The craving has been gone for quite some time now, the desire is no longer there. Now that Ive quit, I have all that money to spend on models. Oh, wait, yeah the wife is spending it now, fooled again. :doh: I do feel better since I quit and yes I did put on a few pounds but Ive lost them and haven't found them, so if one of yall find them just keep them or pass them to the next guy. So with all that said, to all who are setting a goal to quit, my prayers are with you. Stay strong, stay focused.

Mark

Edited by mark126804

Well what can i say, been there, done that, and WON'T DO IT AGAIN......the smoking i mean, stopped smoking over twenty years ago, just like that (well not entirely just like that, was hospitalized, but not because of the smoking, and decided it was ENUF....)

Must say i'm impressed by all you guys trying to overcome this bad habit in different ways and believe me once you've overcome this ordeal you'll feel great and satisfied you accomplished this battle.

BTW, i'm now the most fierce anti smoker you can imagine, go figure.

Good luck to all still trying to quit and i know you ALL can do it, so wishing you all a smoke free 2013 (and indeed some extra modelling money that way)

Jack.

Quiting smoking is that easy, I did it 5 times.

Seriously though, best thing I ever did. Finally cracked it one Friday night after a good night out with the mates. Got home and lit a fag (ciggie) up and said to the wife throw the rest on the fire. She thought I was joking but still went ahead and threw them away. For the next few weeks, I was like a bear with a sore arse. Lost my rag at the smallest of things but I was determined I was going to win. That was over 15 years ago. I found the hardest times was when in the pub having a drink with the mates and after having something to eat. Forgot to say I didn't use anything except for determination. Downside of quiting was I piled the weight on.

Edited by Monty Python

Geez, quit so long ago, I don't even think about it. I do remember I was away on military training and since I was on third floor of billeting, had a long travel to the little designated smokers area. I grabbed my laundry, a book, and the pack-n-lighter. After loading laundry, stepped out, thought of how I told myself in High School I would only do this for a few years and figured it was now time to do it. I did like you hear, crumpled the pack in my fist, tossed it in the trash (where they belong), set the lighter down, went inside and read my book until laundry was done. That was it, once I made that decision I stuck myself to it and it was my answer to the cravings. I just focused on what activity I was doing instead. Never tried another drag since. That was July 2001. You know you HAVE to quit, how you going to build all your beautiful models? Another thing hobby/smoking related is I hate when I get a kit on Ebay that was in a smoking house-wretched! Have to lay it all out, the instruction pages and box individually in the sun, etc. to degauss it all. Nasty

Good thread!

Its coming up to one year since i quit (Jan 10th) and i'm so glad i did. It was worth it just to get my sense of smell back, let alone all the extra benefits.

My method was to use the Allen Carr book 'Easy way to quit smoking'. It was wasnt easy (i'm not that gullible... ) but it was easier than i thought, and it worked. It has also worked for lots of other people i know, so maybe you guys should check it out..?

I still get the occasional urge to smoke, but its nowhere near strong enough for me to start again. I have seen too many people close to me succumb to cancer, and there is no way on earth i want to increase my odds of being afflicted with it.

Harvey, Daywalker, and anyone else thinking of quitting - Just do it! It is hard to begin with but gets easier and i can hand on heart say that you will not regret it.

Smoked since I was 11 until I finally gave up in Sept 2007.

Started with the patch for about 2 weeks & then couldnt figure out why I was still putting nicotine in my body when I wanted to quit so I stopped the patch as well & never looked back BUT you have to be READY to quit & READY to cope with the symptoms of quitting....................prepare yourself & YOU WILL DO IT.

As an after thought I had 3 heart attacks in a week in Oct 2010, if I had still been smoking my pack a day I wouldnt be here typing this now..............major benefit of quitting I'd say.

Just do it, you'll never loook back & think of all the models you can buy from the $300+ a month you'll no longer be spending on smokes

Happy modelling everyone, Martin

BUT you have to be READY to quit & READY to cope with the symptoms of quitting....................prepare yourself & YOU WILL DO IT.

I strongly agree with this. I know my quit was successful because i REALLY wanted to quit. I had never properly tried before, because up to that point i didnt really want to quit.

Very best of luck to all of you giving up. I was lucky and never started, although my wife did smoke when I first met her. A bad lung infection ended up with her having an x-ray, and even at 23 the thought of what might happen made her give up over night. As it turned out it wasn't anything sinister, but she gave up anyway!

I rememember my grandfather, who smoke roll-ups til only a few months before he passed away, telling me that when he was in the trenches in WW1, smokes were everything. If the ammo didn't turn up the troops would grumble, if the food and tea didn't arrive, they really would grumble, if the post didn't turn up, if the rum ration didn't arrive, there would be raised voices, but if the baccy didn't get through they would have mutinied.

He did finally give up a few months before the lung cancer got him; he was 75, but it was no way to die. Perhaps the sight of my own father, carrying his father up stairs to bed because he couldn't take more than a couple of steps himself, was enough to put me off for ever.

I really do wish you all the strength to crack this, and if you slip, chin up and back on your horse, soldier!!

Tim