Silver Wings Planned Releases for 2013/2014/2015

Silver Wings

Barry, unfeortunately it didn't. It was meant to be our first plastic model kit but things got complicated a little bit.

We have the project ready but as a small family business we're still looking for a reasonable way of financing. 

I understand, we can continue to wish you the success that may one day bring the Kingfisher to us. :goodjob:

Barry

Barry, unfeortunately it didn't. It was meant to be our first plastic model kit but things got complicated a little bit.

We have the project ready but as a small family business we're still looking for a reasonable way of financing. 

That is a pity, have you considered something like kickstarter to raise funds?

Any chance of a peek at the 2015 release schedule?

I heard about kickstarters, but don't know what exactly the rules are.

Is there any place which describes them?

There will be no surprise about our 2015 release schedule. Fokker D.XXI pre-orders will be announced in February. Soon after the PZL P.11 will appear (April/May). Just after that, we are going to introduce 1/32 Re.2000 which is already started and then the Yak 9. Time will tell if we manage to release anything more this year :)

About how to finance your projects, there is a practice used by book editors called subscription.

In case you don't know it it's something like launch a new model and offer it at a discounted price if the order is placed prior to the model release.

You will have a precise idea on the minimum quantity to produce and the modeller will be encouraged by the discount.

Cheers

Alberto 

Hi Simon,

take a look at this project on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/632996056/remote-controlled-cyclone-class-patrol-ship-in-1-9?ref=nav_search

Mayby you could do something similar.

Put a model (idea) up for fundraising. People who are interested can pledge on different levels if you choose so.

Let's say a normal kit costs €100,-. You could offer different pledge levels:

€5 = just offer your support

€25 = pre-order and get 5% discount on retail price (so you pay € 95)

€50 = pre-order and get 10% discount (you pay €90)

€85 = pre-order and you get the kit for that price (15% discount)

€165 = get two kits

or anything else you come up with.

I haven't done any Kickstarter myself, but as far as I know you have to say; 'we need an €Xxx amount of money to create this kit'. You have a month (mayby two, i'm not sure) to raise the amount of money. If you meet that goal, your project is a go on kickstarter and you have to pay a small percentage of the raised funding to kickstarter.

To be a succes, you have to get the word out you're doing this. So post on all scale aircraft related moddeling sites etc etc. You can show people you have made a lot of models before and are not someone with just an idea.

cheers, Wouter 

edit: grammar

Edited by Wouter

What Wouter suggest is very similar to my idea.

May be you will say: "and what happen if we do not raise enough money for the project?" 

The answer is:  it could always happen that you launch a kit, with all inherent costs and you do not sell it in a number large enough to cover them. The only difference could be that you will have to convert the money you received from subscribers into coupons to be used to purchase something else. 

Alberto

The problem with Kickstarter may be the lack of people who are both 1/32 scale modelers and also members of that site. The project I contributed to required payment via Amazon's checkout, not Paypal. This may or may not be an issue for some customers. On the positive side, your reputation for delivery of great products so far would go a long way towards gaining credibility for such a project.

If I understand Kickstarter correctly, contributors pledge to pay for a project, conditional upon whether the project meets its goal of funding required to make that project happen. You would have to know how much it would cost to release the kit and would offer conditional pre-orders that are paid if you receive enough commitments to get the tooling and kits paid for. Projects often offer special deals, like extra items that enhance the project, and require higher levels of funding. For example, in a book project, they may offer signed editions, lithographed prints from the illustrations, special edition with unique bindings, etc..

The pre-order path is one way to get yourself into either good success or deep trouble. The stories of pre-orders that paid early and delivered decades late, if at all, have turned many people off of that idea. On the other hand, is a firm commitment to order really firm if you don't pay for it? Kickstarter would seem to deal with the problem of insufficient funding to finish the project and solve both of those issues.

I truly wish you great success with your efforts, especially with the Kingfisher. Yellow Wings are calling all of us.

Tnarg

• 4 weeks later...

There are a large number of very fine possibilities on this list. I voted for the P-6E, PZL P-11c, Polikarpov I-15 and Fokker D.XXI, but would certainly not complain about anything on that list. With more votes I would have put down the Bulldog and OS2U Kingfisher, Northrup A-17A, Heinkel 112 and Gloster Gauntlet. All of these have way too many attractive options to build (Danish, Estonian, Peruvian, Spanish Civil War, camouflaged and Yellow Wings to name just a small few). Didn't see a Shrike, but please keep that one on the list.

For the first on the list, you can't hardly pick just one. I would seriously want to buy anything on your entire list, assuming my wallet were willing and able. Just like too many other of our options lately, we are buried in wonderful possibilities.

Tnarg

I absolutely agree! I am also in 2 minds on this question!)