Best A-10A cockpit?

mark31

I'm curious about that too. I have the Verlinden cockpit and it looks pretty good, although I'm not sure about the seat and if it's accurate for a DS A-10A, that's what I also want to built, or if there's anything better.

Just checked on E-bay and the True detail, Legend and Verlinden cockpits are still available there, also a set from CAM, that's what used to be Cutting edge if I remember correctly, but it's called cockpit detail set, so not sure if it's a complete cockpit. Never found any reviews about them, so if anyone here could tell something about them at least 2 people would be happy I think.

'the modern hog guide' is the book you want mark. It's very hard to find but I happen to be selling a copy soon. I can scan some of the pages regarding the A-10A if I get time

bear in mind too that jake melampy is going to release an updated version of the book, hopefully sometime this year

can't really help you re: cockpit sets as I know next to nothing about the aircraft

I'll be using the CE set for my Myrtle Beach A-10A circa 1977. I have not studied it for changes that might be needed as I'm a loooooooooooooooooooooooong way from starting it!

As Dave says it is very nice.

Barry

'the modern hog guide' is the book you want mark. It's very hard to find but I happen to be selling a copy soon. I can scan some of the pages regarding the A-10A if I get time

bear in mind too that jake melampy is going to release an updated version of the book, hopefully sometime this year

can't really help you re: cockpit sets as I know next to nothing about the aircraft

I have already this book and its great,

For the rest many thanks for the respons i will look out for the treudetails pit,

Mark

CE and Verlinden are the early pre laste cockpits.......the only good semi late pit is the blackbox/Avionix set......

True details has a rough cast of the BB pit, and legend made a not so good...but better than the kit pit.

Sierra hotel has the corrected fans/engine fronts....perhaps some other stuff for the engines wheel...I am not sure

Ce did wheels, dual sidewinder adaptor, exhaust and exterior upgrade sets....if you can find them

Eduard did pit, external, and wep sets.......

Rob

Edited by Rob Colvin

Desert Storm A-10's are Pre-LASTE, post DRA. IIRC the side climate control vents had already been removed/changed to the pilot's knee area of the IP. The CE cockpit although the best choice out there is not only Pre-LASTE, but Pre-DS since it has the side vents. The CAM (Like most of their resin) and TD are copies of the Black box set which would be my choice for DS. To me it seems the BB cpit looks wide. Not sure if it is the floor or side consoles themselves as I haven't measured it yet. The Legend looks to be a copy of the kit. If you have both CE & BB, might graft the BB Inst. panel to the CE after removing CE side vents. That is what I was considering when doing Chopper Popper (once I make a decal for the entire RH side graphics of course).

• 3 weeks later...

I flew the A-10 pre Desert Storm with the 74th TFS, 23rd TFW "Flying Tigers". I spent a lot of time working on the Trumpeter kit to match "my" aircraft - tail number 82-0665 - the very last A-10 built. I added every aftermarket item I could find at the time - and the Cutting Edge cockpit is extremely accurate for a "Pre-Laste" cockpit, and the one I used. While pretty pricey now, it's still the one I'd recommend. The Squadron vac canopy is a waste of time - it's simply a vac copy of the kit canopy. The problem is that the kit / Squadron canopy are way too vertical with the angle on the aft edge of the windscreen. In the end, I took the kit canopy and sanded it at an angle to give it the illusion of the proper angle. Not 100% correct - but better than nothing. Better engine intakes are available now - and the project is a lot of work - no matter what you do. I did a build up article on this many years ago on Aircraft Resource Center. Here's a picture from a contest in Cocoa Beach many years ago.

Modelshow1-1.jpg

George

First, Welcome to LSP George! Second, i've had Hog talk with you before as you sent me shots of your Super build. Possibly over my 1/48 resin engines? Which would now be the 1/32 ones you mentioned. I mastered the set for Mike of Sierra Hotel after he invested in the CAD fan. I do have a specific question about DS cockpit configuration sir. Were the side ECS ducts still there, or converted to the Inst. panel? Although I am a former Hog Chief, during DS I was still working Weasels. I am aware of the horrible clear parts and plan (unless someone beats me to it) to make a clear resin correction. This will be the windscreen with front Armor, and as you know shape corrected main canopy including framing with detail. I do have to say though, the Squadron Vac Canopy does fix the windscreen as the front armor glass is too wide in the kit. You would have to be comfortable working with Vac. though.

Edited by phasephantomphixer