DeHavilland CHC II Beaver N888BH

Out2gtcha

I agree that a darker color like a dark blue would look good, which is why Ive been experimenting with the clear blue over black...........kinda gives a unique reflective appearance to the windows once coated in high gloss.

Brian, an old trick we small-scale airliner modellers use is to paint the inside of the clear parts black or dark grey. That way they don't look so painted on, and it gives a nice illusion of cockpit depth. Not so easy to convey in larger scales, but in your case I'd consider painting the inside black, and using the clear blue on the outside.

Kev

Brian, an old trick we small-scale airliner modellers use is to paint the inside of the clear parts black or dark grey. That way they don't look so painted on, and it gives a nice illusion of cockpit depth. Not so easy to convey in larger scales, but in your case I'd consider painting the inside black, and using the clear blue on the outside.

Kev

Definitely a good Idea Kev, and had the same thought. However...............since this is going to be my "ceiling queen" for my workshop, Im skipping the interior and with that Im leaving the OOB "windows" as they are so a bit difficult to put any color on the inside.........................its definitely possible but would be MOOT - ( :lol: )

DSC00463.jpg

Fantastic stuff, Brian. Love your work.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark, very kind of you to say. :)

Well more progress done, if not really all that impressive pics wise.........

Finally finished up the chin intake -

DSC00500.jpg

DSC00501.jpg

I also managed to snap a couple pics of the super bright Boyd "True Blue Pearl". Its actually got enough metallic partials in it, it acts sort of like a metalizer, as you can see it separating a bit already during these pics. Its gonna be eye popping I think -

DSC00495.jpg

Next to a cap of Tamiya Navy Sea Blue for reference -

DSC00496.jpg

DSC00498.jpg

I also found a 3 bladed spinner from an old tool Has Dora, that I filled with multiple layers of CA for re-enforcements in case I sand a bit too far down. This one has a centering hole I can use to turn it, that will be chopped out later -

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

I also got the fuselage glued together and started priming and sanding, as well as getting the wings glued together and started filling on them as well -

DSC00499.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

More this weekend I hope lads. The XGF is (so she has been saying and backing it up by packing) moving out on the 12th of this month, and to tell you the truth im EXITED! I can work on what-ever I want, when I want without having to listen to passive aggressive attitudes. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brian, just catching up with your new project. I am in total love with this as well. I love the scheme your going after and it fits the Beaver perfect. Also, glad that I found this cause your new glass case sure is something. I'm looking for one myself and I have been hunting craigslist for one and from what I've found they are not wide enough for my A-10 and i know for fact they will not be able to fit the big Sukhoi's once I get them going/done. The price is very fair, but yeah, the shipping will be a killer for me as well since I'm in Cali.

You're beaver is coming along nice and will be a super touch to your man cave ceiling. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Hi Brian,

Will follow your build for sure, excellent "tutorial" so far, hopefully i can learn from your project to be building the one i got in "the stash".

I skipped the floats already, were convenient for another project, so i'll be building the wheeled version.

anxious to see how you tackle the cabine inside, keep up the good work.

cheers,

Jack.

I'm liking how this is coming along. That paint does look like it will be very vibrant once it's all done, and I think you're taking the right path not worrying about interior detailing, and just doing a fun project to hang off the ceiling. We should all do that at some point, just to get stuff done. Can't wait to see how the paint comes out.

Matt :party0023:

Love it Brian – That sure will be a glitzy beaver hang from your ceiling!!!!! Oh yeah - still get's me :rofl:

You must have the patients of a saint with all that riveting. I love the idea of the film for a template will steal that idea. :speak_cool:

Soon have this giant banana done at this rate – Man that will be a quick build.

:popcorn: Happy Days - Taff :D

Hi Brian, it looks as though you're having a ball. :speak_cool:

Can I ask, what's your plan for painting the yellow? Yellow notoriously gives poor coverage so will you use multiple (zillions) of thin colour coats or do you plan on something different like using a white primer?

Cheers.

:beer4:

Thanks Taff!

Hi Brian, it looks as though you're having a ball. :speak_cool:

Can I ask, what's your plan for painting the yellow? ................. or do you plan on something different like using a white primer?

DING!

Yep, Im going to cover the whole thing in Tamiyas Fine white primer..............IMHO, by FAR and away the best primer on the market Superior even to Mr Surfacer 1200 which I really do love, its just Tams Fine white is just as smooth and maybe even a touch finer IMHO, but it also gives the ability to shoot light colors like this yellow.

Can't stand it any longer. You are doing such an outstanding job on the exterior and the color scheme, you really really must reconsider your decision not to do a cabin and windows. How about a half cabin. Just put plate below the IP and cut some 1/24 automotive seats in half and fake in the rest. A cool build no matter what!

Love it Brian – That sure will be a glitzy beaver hang from your ceiling!!!!! Oh yeah - still get's me :rofl:

You must have the patients of a saint with all that riveting. I love the idea of the film for a template will steal that idea. :speak_cool:

Soon have this giant banana done at this rate – Man that will be a quick build.

:popcorn: Happy Days - Taff :D

It looks like you are never going to live this one down Brian! :lol:

As always, great work going on here :goodjob:

Derek

Hey Brian i see you aint playing with the beaver this weekend :P

LOL cant wait to see those amazing display cases filled up with those crazy/amazing/breathtaking models of yours