Aussie Revell Mirage 1/32..one more before I finish, promise!

ericg

• 5 weeks later...

Time for a big update, as I am getting a few emails asking about the progress of the Mirage. I have done a bit more work on the details of the bird,

Added the posts the the gap between the fuselage and the Intakes from plastic rod.

P1310385.jpg

Added the blast deflectors? (S.T can you answer that question?) to the gun troughs, plus sized up some copper tube for the barrels.

P1310401.jpg

Prepainted the exhaust and the jetpipe

P1310388.jpg

I was going to lay down some plastic card to represent the Cyrano radar, but ended up scribing it and then carving it from the plastic, to give it the panelled look that I was after

P1310386.jpg

Cleaned with Testors plastic prep and a toothbrush, ready for primer

P1310383.jpg

Primed! I used Alclad grey primer instead of Tamiya fine surface primer, just for something different.

P1310406.jpg

Top view with a present that I received today

P1310407.jpg

Down to the error/fault detection.... and there is lots! I circle these with a lead pencil, so that I can indentify what needs to be fixed.

P1310410.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Yes Eric they serve(ed) 2 purposes blast deflection and also prevented cracks developing in the blast troughs... looking forward to these in your update :)

As to the "Cyrano" thats the radar in the nose :) the one below the fuselage was a straight Doppler unit. It never had a name other than "The Doppler" :)Its function to provide Drift and ground speed.

Looking fantastic mate !

Hi guys,

Been at it again, an extremely observant viewer noticed that The Mirage was about to launch with the gun barrels installed but a fuel tank where the gun bay should have been, so out came the fuel tank and in went the gun pack, thanks mate! (lucky this was noticed at the pre-paint stage.)

P2020438.jpg

Now to the cockpit, there was a bit of a hint in the last update but it has now progressed to a seperate WIP, as it is what needs to be completed before I install the front windshield and re-prime the airframe.

I guess it could be considered blasphemy to rip Harolds awesome `pit apart, but it wasnt quite `Aussie' enough for me, so it is going to be re-built, almost completely. All panels and switches had to come off so that I could match it up with my references, namely the RAAF pilot and maintenance manuals. New throttle and quadrant, including the `approach control' lever that you can see on the side of the quadrant. I facricated the radar control joystick from am F-4 joysitck (behind the throttle)The rear wall contains new electrical boxes and wiring, voltage regulator and pressure controllers. I will be adding considerably more switches in the next few days, as well as lots more detail on the exposed instruments forward of the instrument panel. Also I will be punching out a new Instrument panel from plastic card!

The same observant viewer noticed the the circuit breakers were a little higher than they should have been, so they were ground down a little (hey they could have all been pulled!!) and there was something else about the Circuit breaker panel that isn't quite right but it will remain as so.

P2020443.jpg

P2020442.jpg

P2020444.jpg

Stay tuned!

Eric.