Aussie Revell Mirage 1/32..one more before I finish, promise!

ericg

Looking great! Especially the wheel wells. I'd be interested to know how you are going to handle the undercuts in the mold of the wheel well. I have a similarly intricate part that I would like to cast but I don't know how to prevent the mold from getting caught around some of the details.

Keep up the good work.

Erik.

Looking great! Especially the wheel wells. I'd be interested to know how you are going to handle the undercuts in the mold of the wheel well. I have a similarly intricate part that I would like to cast but I don't know how to prevent the mold from getting caught around some of the details.

Keep up the good work.

Erik.

I do it by watering down some white glue and letting it wick under and back of the parts. It dries very thin. After a couple of pulls from the mold, the "webbing" disappears.

Edited by Harold

G'day Hassan,

Yes I will have a tailcone/exhaust combo in the next couple of weeks. Watch this space!

G'day Erik,

Whilst the undercuts in the bays look very deep, I am packing Blu Tack into the parts that cant be seen so that they arent going to be too deep. This will lessen the amount of Silicone that is able to get around the pipes and in behind the detail.

Hopefully that and a good measure of `close my eyes and hope for the best' should get me through!

Eric

Edited by ericg

I do it by watering down some white glue and letting it wick under and back of the parts. It dries very thin. After a couple of pulls from the mold, the "webbing" disappears.

Wow, there's a neat trick. I just gave it a try and it works excellently on small undercuts. A bit hard to see whether it worked though because the glue dries clear but that's not a problem.

Thanks for the tip! :speak_cool:

I'll use the blue-tack method for stuffing bigger undercuts in the master.

E

Edited by ejk

Wow, there's a neat trick. I just gave it a try and it works excellently on small undercuts. A bit hard to see whether it worked though because the glue dries clear but that's not a problem.

Thanks for the tip! :speak_cool:

I'll use the blue-tack method for stuffing bigger undercuts in the master.

E

Add a little food coloring or acrylic paint, then you can see everything.

G'day,

As promised, I would like to present the completed nose and main undercarriage wheel wells in RESIN! As you can see, the nose gear bay turned out quite well with all of its undercuts and has had all of its detail captured in resin. The Gee factor brass legs are a drop in fit, with the hydraulic cylinders fitted after drilling out the supports with the correct sized drill bit. I am looking forward to starting to build my Mirage now as the end of my `create my own aftermarket' crusade is almost over! Once the casting blocks are cut off, these bays fit very well into the model and the nose gear bay is designed to fit under the Fisher cockpit. There are a coupe of more items that are about to have their date in my pressure/vacuum chamber so stay tuned.

As usual, enquiries to ericgalliers@hotmail.com please. Discount for multiples!

Noseresin.jpg

maingearbays.jpg

Noseleft.jpg

noseright.jpg

That is awesome work Eric, and I'm definitely down for all 3 wheel bays. Might have to wait until next week though...

Kev

Great work, those came out fantastic!!

I will be getting all of the stuff you have made so far....

Harold