Aussie Revell Mirage 1/32..one more before I finish, promise!

ericg

Some of the production Aero 3B's. A big thanks to KAIS for sorting out some of the finer details of the rail. Basically, these are the Kinetic F-86 rails, with a bucket load of modifications. (scribing, rails added, and sharpened).

Will be over on the Vendors section for those interested in obtaining some!

Aero3B-1.jpg

G'day again, a further update from my workbench.

After a few weeks of trying, I am pleased to present to you guys the test shot of my AIM 9-B Sidewinder. I did open the box of my Trumpeter F100 with the hope that the Aim 9Bs from that kit were going to fit my Mirage..... well, there was no way those were going to go onto my kit. I then set about scratchbuilding my own new missiles from plastic tube, plastic card, and you guessed it, my old friend Milo tin membrane! I used the drawing obtained from the net that had measurements in inches so I converted them to 1/32 and this is the result. An all new resin AIM 9B Sidewinder. It comes out to 11 pieces in resin and definatley makes the Trumpeter ones obselete.

As you will notice, the seeker head window is cast in clear resin, with the seeker head assembly in 2 pieces. This is so that I could cast the rocket nozzle detail in the rear of the missile as well. Trust me this is not the easiest way to do this, but I think the results look very good. The front fins fit into an slightly oversize hole to allow a wash to pick out the round swivel mechansism of the fin. The rear fins are also fitted into slightly oversize holes to allow the modeller to adjust the fins alignement. As the base of the rear fins were all one piece with tail assembly, I have designed it in such a way so that it requires MR surfacer or such to fill the base of the fins. I have not done that on this example.

If you guys are interested in obtaining some then let me know via PM or email. Those of you that have purchased my flaperon covers already will get the AERO 3B rails free with the sidewinders.

AIM9Boverall.jpg

AIM9Btail.jpg

AIM9BNose-1.jpg

AIM9drawing.jpg

Eric,

send m

e some good detail pics and i will have a look at how i may be able to do then for you. Now that i have my small projects out of the way i will be looking at finishing the wheel wells mate.

How about the wheels as well?? Actually I have some that I have worked on lately. They will work on the the SAC and Ernie Gees (G-factor) metal undercarriage sets.

I am sending some to Gordon soon....

Miragewheels2.jpg

I will get a few to you as well Eric.

Cheers,

Harold

Edited by Harold

Harold

Are you selling these as yet...I'm waiting on all the mirage goodies...from you and Eric

Also, on a side note, does anyone know of a machinist/miller who'd be able to mill some 1/32 Mirage pitots? I've got the CAD stuff done, but can find a miller.

Don't intend to make any money off of it...just enough to cover the costs of milling.

Harold

Are you selling these as yet...I'm waiting on all the mirage goodies...from you and Eric

Also, on a side note, does anyone know of a machinist/miller who'd be able to mill some 1/32 Mirage pitots? I've got the CAD stuff done, but can find a miller.

Don't intend to make any money off of it...just enough to cover the costs of milling.

You can check into something like this..

Stereolithography

Do a google search for services. some are fairly spendy, others not so much.

Just realized you are wanting to turn the pitots, Someone with a mini lathe and steady hands could do it as well.

Edited by Harold

Harold

I am sending some more to Sprue soon. He has one of my older wheel sets still in stock. The difference is that these are made for the metal undercarriage sets available. The other one is for the kit's plastic undercarriage.

I am only doing the new ones from now on. They can be used with the kit parts by sanding down the back side a bit.

Harold

G'day,

Well I spent a whole day on the nose gear bay and think I saw some progress at the end of the session! Looking a whole lot more busier with the addition of electrical wiring and extra hoses etc. You will also notice that I have now test fitted the Geefactor leg and hydraulic ram into the bay. The ram has come up short (to my eye) so I have added the extension as can be seen. I have made this slightly oversized to allow the modeller to drill a hole to accept the ram in what will eventually be resin. For those of you eagerly awaiting the completion of the undercarriage bays, I have placed my workbench under `lockdown' so I wont be starting any more projects (such as missiles/rails etc) until these bays are in resin!

There is still much to do on this!

nosegearbay4.jpg

nosegearbay2.jpg

nosegearbay.jpg

nosegear3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From my workbench, another update!

Nose gear bay done! Due to the kind efforts of LSP KAIS, and his ex Mirage pilot mate taking lots of great detailed shots of the nose gear bay for me, I was able to complete the master. This thing is PACKED with detail and is quite hefty due to the large amount of solder, brass, tin, copper and plastic card that has gone into its assembly. If you compare the shots to the ones that I posted earlier, it is quite clear that alot more work has gone into making the bay as detailed as possible. Part of what I was waiting for was the detail of the rear wall of the bay. The rear wall is a representation of the Doppler TX/RX unit, with its associated vibration mount. I sharpened up some of the detail once i put down a primer coat, but wanted to show you all the pretty colours that all of the different materials make. Hopefully the next time you see the wheel bays, they will be in resin and ready to order. Once again, some pics shown with the Geefactor legs installed.

NOSEfinal2.jpg

Nosefinal.jpg

nose3.jpg