Anthony in NZ

75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

Thanks guys!

Pleased you can see the difference Andy.  It really is not much and I probably should have just left it how it was considering the work involved. In all reality it probably will not be very obvious to the casual onlooker.

That's a rather blunt leading edge and a good fix.  It's one of these things that once seen cannot be unseen, and with all the other effort you're putting into the model, would annoy you if going uncorrected.

Jens

Thanks Guys!

Yup Ron, right you are buddy....I couldn't sleep LOL

Jens, yes once seen cannot be unseen.  Glad you can see the difference.  I know that everytime I looked at the finished kit all I would see is that leading edge!

I tried to post an update on the mess inside the wing, but cant get Photobucket to work.

This update is not pretty, it's purely for those mad enough to do what I am doing...

The radiator outlets are completely the wrong shape and I feel will be quite visible once completed.  So draw along the spar line and cut the curved panel off.

IMG_1807_zpsisyimkiw.jpg

Glue a piece of card along the leading spar leading edge with the corners sanded off on both gluing surfaces (this will become for panel line for the curved piece rear edge). Flip the panel you just cut off and flip it 180 deg and glue it to the piece of plastic card on the front end of the spar.

IMG_1802_zpsqadwnecq.jpg

IMG_1804_zpsud8oy92k.jpg

There needs a serious amount of backfilling and plastic card.  Get the file out and start shaping it to look more like this

Here we go.  I have since finished this side since the photo

IMG_1803_zpsad1swses.jpg

You can see what I am talking about here, when you look at my Tamiya 1/32nd one I am building too

DSC_0035_zps0eomgpuw.jpg

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

18 minutes ago, RonGUSA said:

Noice Anthony! Looking good mate :thumbsup:

Wow I just realized this has been going on for almost 9 years!!!

Ron G 

Thanks buddy!

Oh I know:doh:...don't remind me LOL!!!

I really need to get this finished

Ok so now the radiator outlets are shaped and primed.  Once the wing is eventually attached to the fuselage I will scratchbuild radiator cores etc...

Here is a cross section of whats going on in there

Mosquito_zpstbcyhpq7.jpeg

Where I am at, note the extra hole I drilled on the nacelle just inside the upper wing leading edge.  This will have a piece of brass tube just poking through.  

IMG_1848_zpslcqeufd4.jpg

New end rib for the radiator has been made, this just needs detailing etc as the side covers will be off to expose the engine

IMG_1850_zpszdwi8mv9.jpg

Here is an overall view of the other wing.  Finally the wing structure is complete.  I am happy with the shapes, profiles, dihedral and chord measurements.  I have been all over it with my Vernier's and everything is lined up and match port and starboard.  Just a matter now of refining some surfaces, replacing lost rivet/fastener detail and back to the nacelles.

IMG_1851_zps1524yq9s.jpg

Finally happy it looks correct for a Mosquito wing.  

It should be noted that this could have been fixed much easier than how I went about it by shimming the spar at the radiator and removing a slice from the outboard spar and clamping it all together and gluing with epoxy glue. 

If you plan on doing this fix, I would make a one piece front spar and make the inner section thicker by approx 1mm (as per my prev photos) and inner section thinner (or stepped down) by about 2.mm, giving about a 2.5-3mm difference to the inner and outer sections.  Do this on the upper wing edge.  I suspect you will still need to extend the leading as it is very blunt.

Cheers Anthony

hello Anthony, 

I've migrated over from the, er…. other bigger scale forum, primarily to follow your inspiring build a bit more closely (so, no pressure!!)  - I'm very interested to find out how you fixed the upper wing shape with regard to the radiator areas, and ( i'm a bit surprised no one else has suggested it, frankly!!) I would really like to see all the fixes and improvements you have made in a book  ( I suppose I'm a bit old fashioned!!) - I think this impressive model deserves it. And I hope the plan to release some of the corrections in resin is still going ahead, too ( spinners, prop blades, to name but a few)

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo