Anthony in NZ

75 Sqn RNZAF Mosquito Detailed Build

Archers wonderful rivets applied, went on really well using Mr Mark Setter over Mr Surfacer polished up, thin brass vent tube also added

IMG_0284_zps9dm6boe8.jpg

Inboard already sprayed with Mr Surfacer...you can see here my stressed skin effect and riveting

IMG_0297_zps91cns0x1.jpg

More dzus fasteners added.  These need to be buffed down with my sanding sponges like the others.  Leaving a nice round 'domed head' fastener.  Still have to figure out how to put the slot in the head yet.  I have to also figure out the rest of the fasteners that have the spring steel attach leaves riveted to the skin.....

IMG_0294_zps73eymope.jpg

Tried getting in close here so you could see some of the skin details....it's very subtle and hard to see.

IMG_0299_zpsfxknvte4.jpg

Thanks for looking in as always

Cheers Anthony

Anthony, absolutely stunning work my friend! Your Mossie will be something truly special when finished.

I hope, though, that at some point you'll get back to Tamiya's Mossie but until then, CARRY ON MY SON! 

:clap2::popcorn:

Cheers,

Wolf

Hey Wolf, thanks so much mate...means a lot getting your feedback (and to those who have reacted)!

Funnily enough I have my Tamiya Mossie in front of me right now as I was looking at some details on it and I thought I am getting close to closing the fuse up.  I just have to make the instructors instrument panel and finish off the etched dual control rudder pedals.....Squirrel LOL

I think I have now qualified to apply to Trumpeter for a job in their riveting department???

There is still a lot to do on the lower carb intake, but I may wait until the halves are glued together before I finish that off.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony where’d you get your rivets and screw heads from? Iwent back a number of pages but haven’t seen if you’ve posted it earlier. Admiring your work and I’m thinking maybe I can add them to my current build as they sem prominent in all the T-38’s.

44 minutes ago, themongoose said:

Anthony where’d you get your rivets and screw heads from? Iwent back a number of pages but haven’t seen if you’ve posted it earlier. Admiring your work and I’m thinking maybe I can add them to my current build as they sem prominent in all the T-38’s.

Hmmm, rivets and screw heads.  Now that's a tricky one.  Being in 24th scale I can get away with more than I can with my 32nd models.  

For my riveting I use a riveting tool called 'Rosie the Riveter'.  I think Radu has some really nice ones now days. I draw on the panel lines and run a piece of label maker thick tape(cant think of or find the name) along the line, it is low tack.  I run my wheel along the edge giving a nice even spacing.  Sometimes I have to cut a brass template to get tighter curves etc. After that I use my Hasegawa Tri-tool scriber and press in each dot.  The reason is the riveting wheel leaves a square-ish indent and rivets are round.  Then I sand/buff the surface to finish, leaving a fine row of rivets you can wash, depending on how much you want it to stand out.  Now I know riveting is controversial and the idea of punching holes in a model is wrong.  Trumpeter have giant deep holes and to me I don't like it.  Personally I just like it barely deep enough to be noticed.

For my screw head Dzus fasteners I have some plastic sheet as thin as paper with which I punch out little discs with my Waldron Punch & Die set.  These are positioned and MEK'd (I am sure Tamiya extra thin cement will do the trick just as well) in place.  They are buffed to a dome head with a sanding sponge.  For the slot, I haven't figured that out yet.  However I would be uncomfortable doing  this in 32nd scale as I think it will just look like plastic circles stuck all over your model.  In 32nd I would use a Jewelers 'Beading Tool' and press in circles to represent the screw head.  

When it comes to raised head rivets, I use Archers lovely rivets you can buy all over the place on line.  Woody from Archer is  building a wildcat here using his products and I really like the effects he is getting.  He has Dzus fasteners too...probably should have used his in retrospect.  Here is his build here, you will find it very useful

Here is how I have been tackling it on my Skyhawk...

Hopefully this helps.  Riveting is personal taste, do what you think is right.  My benchmark is Tamiya. I look at their kits and try to emulate what they do.

Cheers Anthony

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks mate!

Even did something on the Skyhawk today!

Good to hear you are moving on the Skyhawk too - you sure have a full build programme - I have dusted off my A4G and am getting it moving again but I managed to lose the right hand airbrake and had to fabricate a new one that will be modelled in the closed or just cracked open position so no internal detail needed - I don't know  how I manage to lose these things!

CJP

2 hours ago, CJP said:

Good to hear you are moving on the Skyhawk too - you sure have a full build programme - I have dusted off my A4G and am getting it moving again but I managed to lose the right hand airbrake and had to fabricate a new one that will be modelled in the closed or just cracked open position so no internal detail needed - I don't know  how I manage to lose these things!

CJP

LOl, I don't know either mate...I am told by my wife it's because we are men :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

Stunning progress as usual, Anthony! 

Thanks so much buddy, means a lot coming from you!

Back to the Mosquito again...

This time I have been working on Paragons beautiful resin undercarriage doors.  In keeping with the rest of the model I have riveted them as well as slightly 'stressed' the skin.

Here is the port nacelle inner door

IMG_0367_zpsorq15vfr.jpg

And here is the outer door just temporary hanging on the Paragon door hinges

IMG_0394_zps6alebohl.jpg

A couple of general shots to see how it all blends in.  I am working on my photography...promise.  Just messing with Depth of Field

IMG_0381_zpshrt4ohoz.jpg

IMG_0376_zpsfspna8md.jpg

IMG_0379_zps6lhfslxa.jpg

All I have to do now is run a couple of strips of Archer rivets inside the doors and add the rubber sealing strip along the bottom inside edge of each door....phew!

Thanks for looking in as always

Cheers Anthony