Cheaper kits or more detail?

Royboy

In terms of discussing injection molded models, I prefer a price range of $20 to $40, for small single engine aircraft 1/32 scale kits.

I do not need the extra detail and I really resent having to pay for stuff I do not want.

Less expensive kits can be produced at a reasonable price, like the new Revell Ar-196 which should retail for about $30 in the USA. The amount of detail that comes with that kit is phenomenal. I would not need to add any after market parts at all. Besides, if I needed any little goodies I'd just scratch build them myself.

Revell's Ju-88 is selling for about double my max of $40 but that is a much larger aircraft so I figure it is worth it.

I like Trumpeter's offerings but I will not pay over $100 for a model airplane anymore, except for a large bomber.

Trumpeter came out with the Corsair, Wildcat, and others at relatively high prices. Why would I buy those? The old Revell kits are still floating around and from three feet away they look just as good.

Good kits are available at low cost, even today. Hobbycraft has some goodies and their WW1 planes (Spad, Camel, Nieuport) are reatailing for $20 and under.

Sell me the bare bones kit and let the guys who want all the bells and whistles buy the aftermarket stuff.

This is not a new concept. In the 1930's wood model ship kits were being retailed as a basic kit with the buyer being given the opportunity to buy an upgrade kit with all the missing details already made of wood turnings and lead castings. This came about because most of these kits came out in the 1930's when nobody had any money. So guys would buy the basic kit and build the add-on parts themselves.

This was true with model trains back in the 1930's too. We are talking about scale models here, not Lionel toys.

This was not necessary when the first plastic kits came out in the late 1940's through the 1980's.

But then guys started detailing the models with the parts they made themselves. A lot of other guys wanted those parts but did not want to or could not build them themselves. So other guys started making aftermarket kits to sell to the latter. Works out fine for all.

I hope the manufacturers go back to this for several reasons.

1) I am too cheap to spend $150 for a kit of a model airplane.

2) With the recession I cannot afford to spend high even if I wanted to.

3) It is simply not fair to insist that a modeler pay $150 for a 300 part kit when he will not use more than 50 of them to make his

model.

Yes, I understand that there are extra costs for bringing kits half way around the world from where they are made to sell to me in the USA. Most models are being made overseas now and I understand about the extra transportation costs, but there is a limit.

No, I'll stick with the lower cost models. Just because the trend is to make models that have all the bells and whistles does not mean that I have to build my models that way.

Thank you for the opportunity to air my rant.

Stephen

FOR

Cheaper, and with more accuracy, but less gadgetry. I'll add all or nothing as I see fit. As has been stated, the Revell approach works for me; good detail, a reasonable price, and the option for me to add to it if I desire using AM, without being forced to buy a lot of "stuff" I may not want.

(However, WNW is exempt from this rule!)

:)

What about something along the lines of what Eduard does? Have one release with all the bells and whistles (engines, avionics, gun bays etc) for those that want it, and a cheaper version (like their Weekend series) without the interior details and just the basic airframe?

For for sure. While I love the Tamiya Spits and have a few here awaiting action, the cost is perhaps too high to make a full collection of schemes. For the P-51D I can envisage about ten nations I would like to build kits for. With Tamiya that is $1500, with another company with good outline and no excess parts, maybe $600. A much better option in my opinion (but I will still buy a few tamiya ones as well)

I am for an accurate, detailed and relatively cheap plastic injected kit. Revell of Germany have demonstrated they could could put to good use the low-costs markets to achieve this result.

Kudos to them for the Piper Cub (with and without floats), the LSK and Schleicher gliders , the Hunter, the Ju-88, the modern Typhoon, the forthcoming Ar-196...(and some more in non-LSP scales)

I am willing to pay a premium over these reference prices (the ones from RoG) for a more exotic subject, just on the basis that it will sell less, but see below...

My psychological price limit for an injected mass-produced aircraft plastic kit is in the € 50-60 area (up to € 100/150 for certain sailing ships like Heller's Soleil Royal), and many kits just fit this bill.

I am also willing to pay up to € 100-150 for a quality hand-produced resin kit, especially if I love the subject...more than that also bangs into my psychologicla ceiling....

When it comes to paying more then 100 € for a kit, and discover that it is inaccurate and requires 100 to 150 € in aftermarket goodies, or years of laboring on it...i'm just not a buyer anymore (too bad, because I always loved the EE Lightning).

Hubert

(who has never looked at how much he was paying for all these Evergreen bits, or Tamiya tape, or all those non-specific elements and toolings, and should do so just to see how much he spends on a scratchbuilt project :BANGHEAD2: )

FOR

....as a general principle. Revell's 1/32 offerings in recent years are a good example of what I want more of. Even then, the detail is quite stunning n cases like their Ju-88, but there's no need for every panel to be open. Maybe once in a while I liek to see everything opened up, but in most cases I'd prefer a clean build with detail where it matters, ie on the outside and in the cockpit.

Most important though, I want accuracy. Accurate and well detailed is fine, accurate and basic detail is equally OK.

If the shape is fundamentally wrong, I don't give a stuff how much detail's included!

Cheers,

Bill.

I can only echo a lot of what has been said here. I think Revell have got it right at the present time. I think a dimensionally accurate kit, with decent detail is the way to go. Hasegawa has it right as well, up until the recent price hike- Although I suspect that is the import companies more than it is Hasegawa. As thrilled as I am that so many great things are being offered up in our scale's resurgance, I find myself in a unique position. Financially, I cannot afford most of these kits nowadays. The last brand new kits I bought for myself were the release of Hasegawa's Bf109G-6 in 2002. Everything else I have is second-hand, slightly started, or classic kits. (I have a ton of old Revell, Hasegawa and Matchbox kits)- I have become a bit of a "Classic-basher" as I have had to be due to cost.

If this trend continues, I am afraid I will have to switch to a smaller scale due to cost. Bummer really, but it is what it is......

But I am glad the scale is thriving. I can always model vicariously through you guys and your builds- :party0023:

I still want one of ZM Shindens and the Ta-152- But I will settle on building an old Vac-form kit of the Ta- that is what I have.

Nice topic!

Thor, off to the Doctor.... :BANGHEAD2:

What about something along the lines of what Eduard does? Have one release with all the bells and whistles (engines, avionics, gun bays etc) for those that want it, and a cheaper version (like their Weekend series) without the interior details and just the basic airframe?

I agree with BloorwestSiR. In this day and age it should be possible to offer something to both camps.

Personally, I'm not big into open hatches or panels on an airframe preferring instead to spend time (or money) on the usual cockpit & wheel bays. For this reason a basic kit with the correct overall profile and proportions appeals to me more.

I can however understand the desire some folk have to open every possible access door and hang every possible weapon off the pylons. For those fond of that style of detail the manufacturer should include all of the whistles and bells.

It would be very nice to have the choice.

Perhaps currently smaller manufacturers like Wingscale and Zoukei-Mura might be in a better position to respond to this kind of market force?

I'm really liking the modern Hasegawa/Revell approach. Reasonable cockpit and wheel well detail, accurate shape, quality moulding at very affordable prices. The rest I can add if I want.

Wingnut Wings are only exempt because of their subject matter (and those little engines are beautiful!).

I have become a bit of a "Classic-basher" as I have had to be due to cost.

Exactly my situation too Thor, though I quite enjoy bashing the classics. I do occasionally acquire a modern kit, but never through the retail channel. I'm sure not worried about not having enough kits though!

Kev

I have a little stash and more then I can ever build moost of the extra I try to make my self still if not used the open hatch I do wnat them in the kit so there is a option for it.

Revel Junker 88 I love the kit only the wing storgae and a engine option I do miss.

The cockpit is great and with a little affort made in to a great pit.

The new releases that are in the pipe line from Revell looks fantastic fine detail for a great price.

So I will pay like 100 euro for a 2 engine full of detail kit and even I don't use all the options it's there ready use.

The Dragon Bf110 great kit fine detail only why there are no loose control surface I cant understand they did it in 1/48 version?

like The Eduard Bf109 compleet kit with lots of details.

The Wingnut kit love the box full of detail.

The trump F14 only extra the Legend seat's make it for me a great kit.

So for if I have to choose more detail for a bit more money and I make the choice in the store between the kits and just a little stash.

Afther market isn't cheap and ressin is not that good for your heald so I try to avoid it if possible.

I would prefer less parts and lower cost. More accurate if possible.

This must be a very difficult proposition for a manufacturer. Consumer surveys can only go so far.

After all, what percentage of the model buying public do we on this board and others make up?

How much weight do they give to the opinions they read?

Maybe in other markets people want full engines and rivets and moving flaps etc.

It's like suggesting a kit. Make a farley fruitbat it will sell. Maybe in one part of the world, or a select group.

What do they do with the rest?

And thats my 2 cents for whats it's worth.

Great question.

My answer: Why choose? It's best to have options. I, like most of you, suffer from AMS, but there are times when I really need a quick build and still expect to see a well-detailed airplane as a result. Think of it as a way to satisfy the craving and keep the interest alive. High end kits fit this latter need.

Although I will admit that the most satisfaction I've gotten from modeling was when I took a dog kit (like the Monogram P-51D razorback) and brought it up to acceptable standards. Would it look as good as say, a Tamiya kit of the same caliber as their Zero/Spit? Most likely not; it would lack the uniformity of the rivets, panel lines, etc that can only be achieved with years of practice -which I haven't yet!

For the record, I'm in agreement with all of everyone's statements, good to know I'm not a screwball after all :rolleyes: