Jump to content

mustang1989

LSP_Members
  • Posts

    1,235
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Posts posted by mustang1989

  1. Completed subframe with modified spindles to drop the front end a little bit along with the mostly completed bare engine:

     

    9WkBk2.jpg

     

    I purchased my first two MAD prewired distributors. I've gotta say that I am definitely impressed. This cut my time in like 1/10th of the time from drilling the OOB distributors and inserting the ignition wire myself. They come in all kinds of cap and wire colors.

     

    mpEUoA.jpg

  2. On 9/19/2022 at 7:21 PM, LSP_K2 said:

    I hate kit tires, especially Monogram/Revell and AMT, as they usually look like they belong on farm equipment. Choosing wheels is also a chore, as many that I want, are in kits that I don't have.

     

      They've actually gotten a smidgen better in the later years Kevin. I can remember tires like what was on the old AMT 33 Willys gasser kits. I didn't even use those tires when I was in my early teens!! Just didn't look right....goofy is the word that comes to mind. lol 

     

    One of the shortcomings of this kit is in the exhaust area. First off, there's LOTS of clean up to do, more so on this kit than most any other of the models I've built in the past.

    After that is the issue of the position of the tail pipe when it's all installed onto the vehicle and the fact that I'm not a big fan of square cut exhaust pipes exiting any give car. 

    OOB exhaust: (Note: the tires will be re-positioned in the wheel opening so I'm still working on that) This crazy right?? 

    xINjTo.jpg

     

    After tweaking the exhaust mounting points and bending the pipes to where I wanted them to exit the car (and adding my bevel cuts to the tail pipes and hollowing them out). That's MUCH better.

     

    qilIur.jpg

     

    I still have some adjustments I'll make later on in regards to the final locations of each pipe but this is the preliminary result:

    cmWGxL.jpg

  3. The rear part of the chassis is about 70% finished now. Still have to install the rear sway bar, shock mounts and shocks but we're getting there. I had to take a break in the progress and narrow the rear end and arch the springs just a tad to achieve the stance I was looking for in the rear. I merely cut off the axle ends, shaved each end of the axle back about 3/16" , drilled holes in the axle and in the axle mounting ends and pinned them back to the axle. I've already done a test run and the wheel/ tire assemblies are right where I want em now. 

    OjWhV4.jpg

  4. 'Bout time I got myself back in here and gave you guys some updates. 

     

    Starting on the engine build for the Z-28. Here's the base engine completed. I'll be going with a MAD pre-wired distributor on this to cut down on time spent drilling the distributor and putting the wires in.

    Image

    Base chassis all laid out ready for painting. Actually, this aint a bad chassis having quite a number of parts. Per some of the reviews that I've read on these kits, I'll be attaching the front subframe assy at a later stage in the build for ease of assembly.

    Image

  5. You're slowly getting this beast all together Kevin and it's looking good so far. 

     

    Trying out new to me paints or newly released paints from a different manufacturer than I'm used to dealing with has always been a "dance with the devil" situation for me. It typically means that I've got to get used to how it sprays through my AB and then how it lays down on the surface that I'm spraying. Looks like it has worked in your favor on this build I'm glad that the color is working out well for you.

×
×
  • Create New...