1/32 Tamiya Mosquito (Merged)

ScoobyDoo

I am sure Tamiya isn't happy with Avspec announcing this.

When the Spifires, Mustang, and Corsair were measured by Tamiya at Vintage Wings, they kept total secrecy.

I found out from friends at Vintage Wings very late about the Spits, roughly a year in advance of the Mustang and roughly six months in advance in regards to the Corsair.

This same Mossie's visited Vintage Wings last year. I wonder if it was also measured at Vintage Wings............ :)

There were a lot of surprised people when the Corsair was released. I didn't predict the Corsair, I knew it was being produced.

As well, they didn't measure the Corsair in 2010. It was after that date. So your "prediction" was just a guess. I know my past threads can be searched and they are not edited. I announced the Corsair before it was officially announced. At least six months in advance.

I have to disagree; most predictions are based upon presumption and intuition, and not necessarily fact. If factual knowledge is possessed, then it becomes a statement, not a prediction. A guess would only prove to be correct were the outcome to coincide, so in retrospect, the guess would only appear to have been intuition.

Guest Dekenba

There was an absolute flurry of Trumpeter 1/32 Corsair kits on EBay prior to the Tamiya kit - some people knew.

I can't honestly say I know anyone who was "surprised" at it.  They did the Zero (home grown appeal, extensive WWII combat record), the Spitfire (iconic status, wide appeal, WWII combat record), the Mustang (universal appeal, iconic status, WWII and later combat record).  Given that they probably weren't likely to do another Japanese subject (none as wide appeal as the Zero), any other subject with the possible exception of the F6F was almost impossible to image.  The F6F had exactly two versions and far less (leaving die-hard modelers out of the equation) mass appeal than the F4U.  The Corsair was the only natural next choice for them.  

Frankly, I won't be shocked if they are in fact doing a Mossie, but I also won't be at all surprised if it turns out not to be true.  Their version would undoubtedly be a knockout, but it will also be *really* expensive.

What's this thing some people have about Japanese aircraft only having "home grown" appeal?    There's many Zero fans worldwide and of other Japanese aircraft too.

... any other subject with the possible exception of the F6F was almost impossible to image.  The F6F had exactly two versions and far less (leaving die-hard modelers out of the equation) mass appeal than the F4U.  The Corsair was the only natural next choice for them ...

Jennings ...

I actually agree with most of what you say ...

Except for the above statement ...

In reality there were plenty of iconic subjects that could have been chosen aside from the Corsair (not in anyway suggesting it was a poor choice or unwelcome!!). The Bf109, FW190 (done to death? Not according to recent releases!)... and to a lesser extent P40 or Hawker Hurricane. There are probably a number of reasons that the decision could have gone any which way. But to say that it was "the ONLY natural choice" based on 'popular' aircraft subject selection is a bit generalist. Given that Mr Tamiya has a passion for that particular aircraft would have had the defining sway on this choice of subject I am thinking.

I pretty much agree with all the other reasoning though ... So not trying to be inflammatory.

Rog :)

They've never repeated any of the recent vintage Hasegawa subject matter, and I don't see that changing.

Ahhhhh so THAT is their subject selection filter! - Hasegawa eh? ... We'll I suppose that could make some sense since Hase' are Japanese ... I could swear I saw Hase' boxed Zeros & Mustangs somewhere though??

Rog :)

I seem to recall (or perhaps I was dreaming due to my advancing years) that a while back a 'reliable' source claiming to know Tamiya's 'strategy' at that time was stating that Tamiya had no intention of ever doing twin engine subjects in 1/32 scale?
If it ever appears then I guess it blows that one clear out of the water!
The simple truth is that if a manufacturer can see an opportunity to make some money from something it WILL happen.
Why should model companies be exempt from that principle?
Never say never is the rule, too many contributors on here making statements on this board that perhaps they'd regret later I think.
Let's all calm down and wait for events to mature over time.
Happy days. :popcorn:

It's all part of the fun Roy!

I think the vibes are right for a big Convair Six, too, within the next couple of years.

But no matter what actually happens, I feel we are destined to enjoy a few more treats yet. HK Models are working on a Mossie, apparently, and Kitty Hawk no doubt have some new stuff up their sleeves.

Very exciting. We're being spoiled for choice!

Tony

IF they do a Mosi I hope they only give us one detailed engine and several versions.    It would be nice too if maybe them, HK, or perhaps ZM would do a really nice P-38.   This plane gets over looked way to often when WWII fighters are discussed and it was involved in some very key engagements, the intercept of Admiral Yamamoto being the most famous.

Of, I forgot, I only build Jet,,,,,sorry.

Happy Fathers Day to everyone!!!

Gary

It's all part of the fun Roy!

I think the vibes are right for a big Convair Six, too, within the next couple of years.

But no matter what actually happens, I feel we are destined to enjoy a few more treats yet. HK Models are working on a Mossie, apparently, and Kitty Hawk no doubt have some new stuff up their sleeves.

Very exciting. We're being spoiled for choice!

Tony

Yes, I think the newer manufacturers definitely seem to be keen on pursuing more 1/32 scale kit subjects to fill the gap left by the others Tony.

Trumpeter/Hasegawa have currently reduced production of new aircraft kits in our scale so a void has now opened up for them to get more into this marketplace.

With HK concentrating on props and KH on jets we could be in for an incredible time ahead!

Mirage 2000 anyone? :innocent:      :popcorn: