Ta-183 Huckebein, L.E.M

Troy Molitor

...check out the radio controlled model aircraft versions...(on youtube)   RC FOCKE WULF TA 183 - HUCKBEIN JETCAT P-20 TURBINE AT BARKSTON WARBIRDS - 2014

as you will see , the aircraft  flies  beautifully - which goes against what one of the F/W engineer/designers thought of the aircraft flyability at the end of the war . (he had reservations)

Phil

Very nice RC model aircraft !

However, the fact the RC model fly nicely doesn't mean the real aircraft would have been as good. The thrust / weight ratio, the weight, a power latency (very common with early jets), the center of gravity and several other parameters may not be the same at all.

I would have to agree Zero. The -183 would have been a thirsty bird. This is why I opt for a few extra fuel tanks. I bet the take off run would have been a long one. Another issue would be the wings. The internal spars were metal along with the ribs but the actual skin I read would have been plywood covering. This didn't work all that well for the He-162 and the Ta-154 I recall reading.

Hey Alan, I'm in Seoul until Thursday. I hope to jump back into the painting when I get back. I'm also going to try find some paint while I'm here before I head back. We shall see.

Thanks for stoping in everyone.

Troy

Good to hear Troy! Safe flights! Are you still delivering birds for ILFC?

Yes, I concur... the actual bird would have had a very high fuel consumption; possible center of gravity problem as fuel was consumed, long take off run and high landing speed. I suspect with the low thrust of the early He engines that the flaps would only have been selected to the take off position after the aircraft accelerated during take off - much like Galland did during his time on the Me 262. However, a very unique and interesting aircraft subject to read about.

Can't wait to see more updates Troy! This build has my full attention! Very unique subject and you are doing an outstanding job!

It's great to see you work finally bro!! ;)

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

The German jet engines had much more thrust than known (and utilized). The Brits discovered after the war that the He-162 could have been flown much faster than the Luftwaffe did. The Germans cut the allowed maximal power down to a good amount to avoid overheating and damage to the engines because the design was not yet matured enough. But there was something more to get from thrustwise.

The plywood issue was solved during the development of the He-162 and the aircraft was put into mass production and used with frontline units without problems in regard of the plywood parts. The problem was to find a well-suited wood glue in wartime Germany.

Looking forward to see the painted bird!

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Alan, ILFC was sold in 2014. A Dutch company.called AerCap took control of the company and AIG is own a considerable amount too. I'm working for a smaller a/c leasing company on the west coast. PM me and I'll give you more details. I'm also on my way to Singapore with this same company. Back on topic... I'm currently reviewing all the great stuff on line by fellow LSP'ers wide awake at 12:18 am. The joys of a carcadic rythem being out of whack. (Jet-lag). Leaving Seoul today for California..

Dutik, Great information you have contributed. Thank you and please chime in when you can. The glue issue is interesting. I recently picked up a book on the He-162 and it's a fascinating read. Several pilots lost their battle with the He-162 in the last months of the war. One pilot I recall reading about was on final approach to land and he crabbed his aircraft to lose height on final the aircraft came apart on him. The pilot didn't survive. I'm also curious about the RAF demonstration flight where there is a sequence of pictures showing the wing leading edge disintegrating in a high speed flyby. The aircraft rolled over and killed the test pilot. The He-162 has always been high on the list to complete and the Ta-183 is my warm up project.

I also received from you some great information on the Huckebine. Thanks. I found a small caracture decal of this creature on a decal sheet (Top Color) off a Russian front Bf-109F'. Not sure if I'm going to personalize my Ta-183, but I thought it might be appropriate to somehow encorporate this into my build. Stay tuned!

The british pilot tried a roll during high-speed flight. This overstressed one of the rudders causing it to break off, followed by the breaking off of the whole tail unit. This was a pilot error only, not a manufacturing fault.

The engine of the 162 was powerful enough to achieve a top speed of 850 km/h, but the Germans cut off the last 16-20% of power to avoid damage. The power control had 3 settings, first S (start), next H (hight) and at last F (fast flight). F was blocked in Luftwaffe use because there was no automatic control of the engine nozzle/outlet which caused the danger of overheating. An automatic engine control was ready at the end of the war but did not make it into engine production. So maximum speed in Luftwaffe service was reduced to 680 km/h.

I am just lucky to own Peter Muellers book about the He-162 which discusses all aspects in-depht based on research of Luftwaffe, RLM and other documents, showing 200 facsimilies of them in the book. Not to forget photos and the research about the painting of the airframes by the various manufacturers and during different time frames of the war.

Regards!

- dutik

image_zpsygwrng0f.jpeg

A little update Folks. I had a tough time securing the wings to the fuselage with a new one-minute epoxy I found at Home Depot. The problem I encountered however, was the nozzle that intermixes the two parts didn't seem to fully intermix and cure properly as advertised. One minute, really? It took the majority of a day for one side to dry. The second wing I mixed the two parts on a piece of cardboard and quickly added the spars I made from brass tubing Into the wings before it dried. I had the jig for dihedral and wing ready to attach. Wow. One minute is all you get. I had to sand down the epoxy on the wing but it went together well. I had applied RLM 75 to the leading edge and RLM 77 primer to the wave part of the leading edge but had to do a lot of clean up. I didn't take any pictures of the bird with wings attached before the weekend ran out on me!

This will be a slow process for the new few weeks with another business trip out of the states and a move to Singapore. Hope to be back with a few choice opportunities pop up but the schedule is pretty brutal for the next couple of weeks. There are a lot of fantastic builds going on to keep you all entertained. I wish I had more time on the Huckebein!

Cheers,

Troy

At least out in Singapore you're never too far from some quality model stores. If you haven't already looked them up then Studio M was my favourite - a small but beautifully formed shop usually with a couple of modellers sat working outside constructing or airbrushing something cool at a bench set up. Inside there's a display of some of Calvin Tan's stunning figure work.

Hope the move goes well 

Torben

image_zpsuyhfx3gd.jpeg

Last couple shots before I head over to Singapore. As you can see the wing root area required some epoxy, long curing times and a lot of sanding to be followed up by rescribing. I must confess it's been a lot of fun to work on something out of my normal comfort zone. I'll add a few more pictures but it might be a week or so without any updates. Life dictates the schedule.

Thanks for looking. A work in progress obviously.

Troy