MDC Typhoon

crobinsonh

Here we go it looks like I might actually complete one this time. I would like to thank Edgar Brooks for all of his help on this Typhoon and the PCM Spitfire that is in its early stages.

I have posted once before with the MDC Tony - but I have not really progressed any further due to problems with different fuselage lengths etc

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...c=17986&hl=

There are many things wrong with this model which I have put down to modeling experience but I am generally pleased with the result - the quality that I see here and on Britmodeler, Hyperscale and AircraftResourceCenter are a constant learning experience that I visit every day for inspiration and help. Please ignore the prop angles as I did not move these to the correct positions before taking the photographs. The model will one day be placed on a base in Northern France just after the landings etc.

DSC_3183.jpg

DSC_3185.jpg

DSC_3186.jpg

DSC_3192.jpg

DSC_3180.jpg

DSC_3194.jpg

DSC_3197.jpg

DSC_3206.jpg

DSC_3207.jpg

DSC_3213.jpg

This is a very impressive model!! The weathering is just perfect, especially the treatment of the invasion stripes. The leading edge fading and deterioration is so realistic, and the mud is a nice detail. A spectacular job!

The pilot figure looks like it will be just as impressive, and I like the pose. Where did the figure come from?

Excellent work!

Cheers,

Richard

Well, I'd be extremely pleased with this if it were mine.

As others have said, very nice weathering - subtle but fitting for such a brute of a plane operating in basic conditions.

Do show us it when the dio has been completed.

Matt

For all I've read of the mismatched fuselage and issues some have had with this kit, you've answered those challenges in a big way!

I really love the muddy footprints on the wing, too. Outstanding little detail!

Great job on a great subject... that Typhoon was one big "war horse".... your weathering is just tops mate, I really like it and think that the effect is so realistic!

However, since critique is welcome I would like to add that the Typhoon was not equiped with "flaperons", but rather "ailerons", that means that when one aileron goes down, the other goes up... naturally following that when properly rigged: the down going aileron travelled farther than the up going one. A classic trap of this kit (since the ailerons are seperately cast) is to drop both. But to be perfectly correct, they need to be opposite of each other. The only aircraft that I am aware of that incorporates "flaperons" that travel down with the flaps, but still operate on the above mentioned aileron principle is the DeHavilland Twin Otter.

Happy modelling and thanks again for showing us your build of the Typhoon.... it is just excellent!

Cheers

Alan

You can almost smell the Avgas from here.Excellent Typhoon,your weathering is nothing short of outstanding.Well done project,hope to see more of your works posted here.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Thanks to everyone for your comments on the Typhoon - hopefully this will provide the impetus to finish it! I will keep the site updated but you may appreciate I am a slow modeler :unsure:

Richard - The figure is a mix of PJ Productions, EaglCal and Magic Sculpt. Still needs a fair amount of work before I even get to trying to paint a figure!

Alan - Thanks for pointing that out. What is really funny about this is that I read an earlier post a couple of months ago (indeed it may have been from you) on another model and thought "oh, need to make sure I do not make that mistake". I will correct that.

This is actually my first complete model for some 30+ years so I think I was very lucky with having one of the first MDC Typhoons as I had very little issues with fit. I had picked up some great tips from reading these forums over the last few years but there was only a minimal amount of filler on the wings to fuselage and none on the fuselage itself.

I did have a number of problems with the fuselage being different lengths on the MDC Tony - this is what caused that build to grind to a halt. What has saved my skin on that one is that Franck Oudin very kindly sent two fuselages halves through with some other parts left over from his build and that is now what I am using going forward.

Thanks again for all of your comments.

ColinR