USAF F-47 THUNDERBOLT VIETNAM

DugyB

Ahem.  I discovered recently while reading highly redacted documents found in old boxes in a garage next to a Corvette with four flat tires that the development and employment of this particular airplane during the Great Unpleasantness included a very classified night interdiction version that evolved at about the same time.  It met with no press but considerable success.  USAF boffins rerouted the exhaust system from the engine through a series of mufflers in the area where the old turbocharger used to be, significantly reducing engine noise.  In hopes of reducing prop noise, at least one was modified to use an experimental five blade propeller that was said to have been stolen from a Sea Fury parked on the ramp at Reno.  Affectionally called Blunderbolts because they flew low and slow at night hoping to stumble onto a target, these airplanes sported a distinctive SEA over black paint scheme and often worked in pairs.  One would carry specialized pods of parachute flares while the other had a more typical anti equipment/anti personnel load out.  The airplanes carrying the flares were called either Sunderbolts or Lightningbolts because they turned the night into day so that the guy flying the armed version had some hope of actually hitting something besides a water buffalo out for an evening stroll.  The jury is out as to whether these two versions of the airplane you are so ably modeling were as successful as legends tell us because none survived the war.  Or at least none survived that anyone will admit.  In the last few years, there have been several unconfirmed reports of at least one pair of Blunderbolts operating at night out of Area 51, working with a similarly camoed, nicely restored B-58.  And a decade or so before that, an oddly painted, much modified P-47 raised eyebrows when it arrived unannounced at Oshkosh only to be immediately covered with a fumigation tent by several fit young men with crewcuts and sunglasses then flown out in the wee hours of the night before anyone could actually see it.  It was said to have won several awards for authenticity, but did it?  Obviously, there are no known photographs of any of these airplanes so you will have take my word for it.  I would cite my sources, but I doubt you have the clearances necessary to see them, being a double foreigner and all.

4 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Ahem.  I discovered recently while reading highly redacted documents found in old boxes in a garage next to a Corvette with four flat tires that the development and employment of this particular airplane during the Great Unpleasantness included a very classified night interdiction version that evolved at about the same time.  It met with no press but considerable success.  USAF boffins rerouted the exhaust system from the engine through a series of mufflers in the area where the old turbocharger used to be, significantly reducing engine noise.  In hopes of reducing prop noise, at least one was modified to use an experimental five blade propeller that was said to have been stolen from a Sea Fury parked on the ramp at Reno.  Affectionally called Blunderbolts because they flew low and slow at night hoping to stumble onto a target, these airplanes sported a distinctive SEA over black paint scheme and often worked in pairs.  One would carry specialized pods of parachute flares while the other had a more typical anti equipment/anti personnel load out.  The airplanes carrying the flares were called either Sunderbolts or Lightningbolts because they turned the night into day so that the guy flying the armed version had some hope of actually hitting something besides a water buffalo out for an evening stroll.  The jury is out as to whether these two versions of the airplane you are so ably modeling were as successful as legends tell us because none survived the war.  Or at least none survived that anyone will admit.  In the last few years, there have been several unconfirmed reports of at least one pair of Blunderbolts operating at night out of Area 51, working with a similarly camoed, nicely restored B-58.  And a decade or so before that, an oddly painted, much modified P-47 raised eyebrows when it arrived unannounced at Oshkosh only to be immediately covered with a fumigation tent by several fit young men with crewcuts and sunglasses then flown out in the wee hours of the night before anyone could actually see it.  It was said to have won several awards for authenticity, but did it?  Obviously, there are no known photographs of any of these airplanes so you will have take my word for it.  I would cite my sources, but I doubt you have the clearances necessary to see them, being a double foreigner and all.

Phew……..as long as the document wasn’t discovered at Mar-a-Lago I’m good ……:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Alain Gadbois said:

I hope the government doesn’t discover this build!

You might get a visit by some men dressed in black…

Alain

Shh, keep it down there, mums the word… :whistle:

Ok, here’s the choice of my load out, I’m pretty limited with what I have, so here’s what I’ll use and mount up. I’m just not sure of the order or if I’ll add either another bomb or anti personal tube.  Skyraider pics online show a plethora of weapons :hmmm:

53645641372_e2f49842f0_b.jpg

53646734233_aed670c2a5_b.jpg

2 hours ago, James Rademaker said:

Terrific job on this build. I’m really looking forward to the completed Jug. I really like the way you changed the cockpit interior color from interior green (WWII) to USAF grey. Nice touch.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I added a bit more detail to the cockpit today and have it finally glued in. 

Almost forgot to “tag” my model, I remembered the last model I built over seven years ago I signed the interior with a Sharpie.  As I glued in the cockpit it dawned on me not to forget this time too. Years ago I’d envisioned some kid playing with my model, having a grand time, maybe blowing it up with fire crackers only to find my hello, long after I’m gone… :whistle:

53647511930_3020bdd4d9_b.jpg

Posted (edited)

A little more detail to scratch for all the attachment points for weapons and I’ll then be finished with these.  I’m leaning towards adding another CBU dispenser. Stole them from my AD-1 Skyraider kit. :hmmm:
Aiming for a realistic SAR load out which would be a great compliment to the Sandy’s and Jolly Greens.

53649386143_1a96a2115f_b.jpg

Edited by DugyB

51 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

No fuel tanks on the wing tips? :)

I looked at that idea only to discover I’d have to perform some serious surgery. The ailerons were massive on the P-47, almost extending to the wing tip. I’ve another idea brewing though, still undecided… :hmmm:

Have been bouncing around back and forth like a ping pong ball which now I’ve at last finished the radar and ECM mount, also as requested I’ve added some very important armour plate protection to the bottom….not that brass balls need protection, but y’all know just in case anyway…:whistle:

53660544300_5806c18de2_b.jpg

53660551960_0ea3d15cb1_b.jpg