1:32nd scale Halberstadt D.II

6 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Great progress Mike! Hopefully they can get the propellor all fixed up for you. I hope the build process is a smooth one.

Matt 

Hi Matt,

I've not bothered to ask for a replacement propeller.

I'm hoping for a hand made prop from Alexey at 'Proper Plane', which is where I normally get my props,

Mike

Hi all
I added the machine gun trigger cable on the control column and weathered the cockpit and engine
Then the fuselage was now closed up with the support rods for the lower wing fitted
One thing to be careful of is to not break the bottom of the control column, which protrudes from the underside of the fuselage
That shouldn't be a problem once the landing gear is fitted

Now its onto cleaning up the fuselage seam joint 

Mike

joined1.jpg

joined2.jpg

joined3.jpg

Hi all
The fuselage and upper and lower wings have been cleaned and primed, ready for painting
I've added most of the kit supplied photo-etch parts, except for the rigging brackets for the interplane struts
The aircraft did not have these brackets and the angle required for some of the rigging tabs will not align with the fitted rigging lines
The fuselage had pre-molded raised 'strips', intended as a base for the photo-etch stitching lines
Adding the photo-etch onto those strips would make the stitching appear too thick
Therefore, I removed the raised strips and added the photo-etch directly onto the fuselage

Mike    

prime1.jpg

prime2.jpg

prime3.jpg

prime4.jpg

Nice work and subject. The actual aircraft looks so fragile. Your using brass to add strength is a good move against those gremlins waiting to do their work.:D

Hi all
The model parts have now had decals applied.
The green and brown camouflage surfaces are covered with ‘Aviattic’ WW1 Linen weave effect (ATT32236) decal
The underside surfaces are covered with ‘Aviattic’ WW1 German blue linen (ATT32077) decal
Smaller details have been painted and an airbrushed coat of 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311) applied

Now it's onto weathering before pre-rigging the parts prior to assembly

Mike

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

fin3.jpg

fin4.jpg

fin5.jpg

fin6.jpg

The surface effects are worth a "WOW!". That Aviattic stuff looks real nice, and I like the different look of different materials. :punk:

Regards

- dutik

Hi all,
I've applied some weathering.
'Flory Models' clay wash (Dart Dirt), 'Tamiya' Weathering Master (Oil Stain and Mud).
Also dry brushing of 'Mr. Colour' Super Iron 2 over the metal panels.
The lower wings are also now attached.

Now onto pre-rigging before assembly starts,

Mike

W1.jpg

W2.jpg

W3.jpg

W4.jpg

W5.jpg

W6.jpg

Hi all
A few more updates on the build
The machine gun is fitted and the windscreen (Wingnut Wings spare screen, not the kits)
The external exhaust pipe is wrapped with thin strips of plumbers PTFE tape, to represent the lagging
I chose to replace the kit photo-etch pipe support straps with flattened 0.5 mm diameter Aluminium tube as more in-scale
Rudder control horn made from 0.4 mm thick plastic card (rudder horn not supplied in the kit)

Now onto the landing gear before pre-rigging

Mike

exhaust1.jpg

horns.jpg

rad1.jpg

wheels1.jpg